Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Salamander Exhibit

I have only been able to listen to the title track and live recordings, every store in my area can't get the damn thing. But I'm not sure if I'm interested from what I've heard? It sounds a lot less melodic and more chaotic. I really like the first two Sleepytime gorilla Museum albums but that third one never grabbed me really... But I did get to see them 5 times, I've been a fan since the idiot flesh days. I'll just have to order from Wayside because my local music stores have let me down

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Even the artwork has the SGM vibe.
    It looks an awful lot like they selected and used an old drawing by Per Frykdahl, Nils's late brother. He did all the SGM artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It looks an awful lot like they selected and used an old drawing by Per Frykdahl, Nils's late brother. He did all the SGM artwork.
    The CD liner notes confirm that it is indeed Per's artwork.

well the whole album is in youtube, legally, from the band.
    listen to it right now and digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEH7dDp8po

I listened to about half of it last weekend, and it's really great. Surprisingly different from SGM, in fact - and much more "direct", as someone put it. The debut track with the semi-growl over dissonant guitar groove has a weird Beefheart connotation to it. I need to listen more and more again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I listened to about half of it last weekend, and it's really great. Surprisingly different from SGM, in fact - and much more "direct", as someone put it. The debut track with the semi-growl over dissonant guitar groove has a weird Beefheart connotation to it. I need to listen more and more again.
    More "direct" I think because of the band shrinking. I think the compositions are set in a much better, more concise framework. As much as I miss Carla, this is a huge step forward.
    And I have to support Bay Area bands as well, doing my part for the local economy!

I'm surprised that no one on Progressive ears has ever complained about his more harsh vocals. I listen to about 20 minutes of it today and realized I would rather just listen to Motley Crue. If I get it now it's going to just be out of habit of following idiot flesh and Sleepytime gorilla Museum.

I got totally turned off by the Cookie Monster on the first track. The music is great, but I just don't get the growling.

^You guys can always put on some James Taylor instead you know?

Love the music , but the bizarro melodramatic vocals really kill it for me
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

To me, the emphasis on contrasting that voice with more or less clean guitars makes for the exact point of interest here. And if you've heard "actual" growl vox, it's not really like this; a whole other vocal technique altogether. But I liked the description "harsh" (from The Czar man above), seeing as it's very obviously a meticulously planned manoeuvre to perform the lyrics in this manner. You either come to terms with it it or you don't, or you may even grow to do so.

Overall it's a curiously fascinating album, IMO. And perhaps more subtly idiosyncratic than SGM ever were. Few will be able to pin the "Bungle ripoff" mark on this one, at least.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Love the music , but the bizarro melodramatic vocals really kill it for me
    That's where I am. Wonderful textures,..the music is quite good. But the vocals?!...Music is a very visual thing for me, and when I listen to these harsh vocals, I hear Adolf Hitler in a bad Viking re-enactor costume ranting about why Kansas isn't Prog. I agree with Richard that this isn't your typical "Cookie Monster" style, for the most part, but as an adult means of communication, it fails. For me.

^ Believe me, I can understand and even respect that position. After all, t's all about personal reactions to a given medium of expression. I remember loads of friends from my early university days who just couldn't take Jon Anderson's voice, although the latter mostly sang in the pure timbre of it. And I still can't take that "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees, which is actually more comparable to Frykdahl as "manoeuvre" than Jon A., seeing as it was all about inventing a specific technique of singing. Either way, it works or it doesn't.

The "cookie monster" thing never bothers me much in metal, I have a much harder time with "traditional" metal vocals actually. Dio makes me want to claw my eyes out, for instance. And I find the vocals of Dream Theater, say, comically annoying. I suppose I just accept harsh vocals as part of the sonic landscape whereas the more conventionally melodic form of metal singing draws my attention more to vocals I just don't like.

I've had three listens now, and this album is just bursting with musicality and ideas. Each track is different, and loaded with great riffs. I figured some would bail from the more growling/harsh vocals, but in truth they are only on some of the songs. They certainly don't bother me, at all. It puzzles me why some still feel the need to insult/ridicule this style of singing. It is a form of expression, that is very much in use and vogue, for a long time now. This way of 'critiquing' them, has become almost as old as calling prog pretentious, IMO. As Scissor said, you should hear what some people say (like my hardcore metal friends) about Jon Anderson's voice, or any number of other singers respected by many on this site.

I'd say this is by far the most consistent thing that they have done and although we all miss Carla, this release is not lacking in any way. The sound is stellar, and it feels just about the right length. In fact, when I told my girlfriend that it is about 50 minutes long, she was in near disbelief, thinking how much shorter it seemed. The mark of a job well done. Very high on my best of the year list.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 01-07-2017 at 06:45 AM.

OK, for now I can first say... WOW this is incredibly good.
    I mostly agree with boilk and Scissor above. On the one hand, it may be true that there is some kind of 'lack of melody' here, but on the other way... there are new 'technics' here... not only growling... I hear some 'spoken words'... and there are MANY vocals together sometimes, doing some 'weired' things altogether ... in short, it's new and interesting. These guys are opened to new influences, and that's remarkable.

based on the one track released before, 'undestroyed', I was a bit afraid that this album may be too dark and ominous, 'one direction' feeling, but now I realize that it is well balanced by different kind of moods, there is a jazzy aspect in here... and some more... it remind me a bit the FIRST album of SGM. not the latters.

on the one hand, there is nothing like SGM... on the other hand, my conclusion after listening is that you can count on guys like Nils, Dan, Mike M., David S. and the newbie that they will do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It puzzles me why some still feel the need to insult/ridicule this style of singing. It is a form of expression, that is very much in use and vogue, for a long time now. This way of 'critiquing' them, has become almost as old as calling prog pretentious, IMO. As Scissor said, you should hear what some people say (like my hardcore metal friends) about Jon Anderson's voice, or any number of other singers respected by many on this site.
    It's not an insult to have a different opinion. I hate growler vocals and think it ruins the music. Others think they're great and essential for getting a certain point across. Different strokes. This group has some great playing, regardless of whether or not the vocals grate.

I'm 'gonna have to play some Fogelberg and Taylor just to get my mind right!

Absolutely, and the way you say it is not insulting, and it's fine to hate them. I have a thick skin. However these comments are all beyond stating that you don't like them:

"I hear Adolf Hitler in a bad Viking re-enactor costume ranting about why Kansas isn't Prog"

"..as an adult means of communication, it fails."

"I'm surprised that no one on Progressive ears has ever complained about his more harsh vocals. I listen to about 20 minutes of it today and realized I would rather just listen to Motley Crue."

And believe me, there was a time when I didn't like them, either. I've come around, perhaps in part, due to a metal friend of mine playing a lot of stuff for me that is half-and-half....some growling, some clean. Anyways, they are here to stay, and I suppose that I feel bad for people that want to like the band, but just can't because of this.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Absolutely, and the way you say it is not insulting, and it's fine to hate them. I have a thick skin. However these comments are all beyond stating that you don't like them:

"I hear Adolf Hitler in a bad Viking re-enactor costume ranting about why Kansas isn't Prog"

"..as an adult means of communication, it fails."

"I'm surprised that no one on Progressive ears has ever complained about his more harsh vocals. I listen to about 20 minutes of it today and realized I would rather just listen to Motley Crue."

And believe me, there was a time when I didn't like them, either. I've come around, perhaps in part, due to a metal friend of mine playing a lot of stuff for me that is half-and-half....some growling, some clean. Anyways, they are here to stay, and I suppose that I feel bad for people that want to like the band, but just can't because of this.

neil
    It was an honest assessment. I notice you left off the "For me" part of the quote. I'm not required to think that it's an adult mode of expression just because the Delicate Flowers on the internet might declare that it's politically correct to do so. If you really think that it is a normal, adult way to communicate, try switching into that vocal mode the next time you have a conversation with a co-worker. I find someone pretending to be a "scary monster' to be cartoonish, and I can't think of any situation where it is not. My failing, I suppose.

Of course...for me...in your opinion, but I still don't feel that means it is necessary to come up with a clever put down to support that opinion. Sometimes, it seems as if, some cannot accept how anyone can possibly like something that they feel is obviously foolish or doesn't work, so to voice that, a clever put down is needed. And I'm speaking in general here, not against you. Believe me, I have zero interest in political correctness. It's garbage. I just feel that it is time to accept that many people like growling vocals. That's the way it is. Nils is an adult, with what, three daughters I believe? Clearly he believes it's a valid form of vocal expression. We're talking about music here, not conversations with co-workers.

I mean, I hate most forms of country music, but to continually espouse my perceived ridiculousness of that musical style with insults, serves no purpose after a time, and eventually just makes me look silly, IMO.

Anyways, I'm just giving my opinions. I am not trying to deride you personally. Not my intention.

Oh, and actually I do have people that I converse with in growling sometimes. Just because, it's fun

neil

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you really think that it is a normal, adult way to communicate, try switching into that vocal mode the next time you have a conversation with a co-worker.
    Clean singing isn't a normal, adult way to communicate to a coworker either

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    Clean singing isn't a normal, adult way to communicate to a coworker either
    Haha! Well played.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I find someone pretending to be a "scary monster' to be cartoonish, and I can't think of any situation where it is not. My failing, I suppose
    I don't think it's your failing. But then again neither do I believe a "scary monster" is Frykdahl's purported allusion, and this is somewhat important to keep in mind; both Idiot Flesh, SGM and FSE present a continuum on a particular antic of a stage personae he has cultivated for nearly 25 years now - merging deeply serious cyber existentialist theatre in Brecht'ian mode, dark and surrealist humour and performance art along with the "songs". The man's voice is not only displayed differently with this personae in mind, it often sounds differently as well (when compared to, for instance, his input with the Faun Fables or Charming Hostess).

Mötley Crüe may have made a lot of money posing as "rock musicians", but the fact remains that they were neither about "music" nor "personae" or even about cultural expressions as such. Exhibitionist vanity and wanting to get drunk or high and laid - that's essentially what all of us gentiles are doing - art, on the other hand, demands talent and warrants analysis to succeed.

And perhaps not their direct intention, but appealing more to a hardcore metal crowd, might give them more success. They pounded the live pavement very hard for many years, and only got so far. As Steve F. has pointed out many times, modern progressive music bands (TYS and Bent Knee come immediately to mind) are out for an audience, not prog fans.

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Most of these bands only realize they have a prog audience, in addition to their regular younger crowd, after they've been out touring and releasing albums. It's a byproduct of their approach rather than a direct result. Very sensible too.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.