Thread: Dave Liebman - Lookout Farm: Live 1974-75

Dave Liebman - Lookout Farm: Live 1974-75

I think I mentioned this release a year or so ago on the jazz thread, but I have been spinning it now and just thought it deserved its own shout out for fans of Liebman and jazz-fusion.

This is a 4 disc box set that is available as an MP3 download that I found at Amazon. Each disc is packed with over an hour of music from different shows in '74 and '75. The sound quality is surprisingly strong and there's great playing of course.

For fans of Liebman, ECM from this era, etc. this is a bit of a holy grail, and figured I'd give it a bit more exposure.

At $15.99, it's well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Liebman-R...+Jeff+Williams

Has anyone else heard it?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Has it been ever released in any physical format?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I'm fairly sure that it has not been released on CD despite the fact that the PDF liners mention the words "CD ONE", "CD TWO", etc. On Liebman's site, he has links to download only.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Thanks Cozy.

Great find, Cozy! If you're into that sort of thing. And there might be a dozen of us who are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I doubt it. I think the original Lookout Farm album was the only thing from this group released on CD (though there's some other Liebman/Bierach stuff on CD).

And here they are, channeling late period Coltrane in Germany with (guest percussionist) Badal Roy:

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I think the original Lookout Farm album was the only thing from this group released on CD (though there's some other Liebman/Bierach stuff on CD).
    I have their reunion gig from 2005 (with the McClure and Hart rhythm section) released by HatHut on CD as "Redemption - Quest Live in Europe". Top-shelf stuff which I can highly recommend.

David Liebman formed a quartet dubbed Quest, in partnership with longtime running mate pianist Richie Beirach, after the dissolution of the acclaimed band Lookout Farm. Quest was short-lived, but has been revived with three original members and second-edition drummer Billy Hart, who took over for original drummer Al Foster, for this live in-concert performance, part of a European concert tour in 2005, 15 years after the group split.

The specter of John Coltrane, always prevalent in the expressive tenor and instantly recognizable overblown soprano saxophone sound of Liebman, is even more pronounced as his signature. Beirach, always a brilliant modern jazz pianist, digs deeper than ever and shows a mature, thoughtful, less reckless identity while continuing to reinvent phrases and stretch parameters. Both are rarely cliché. With original bassist Ron McClure and drummer Hart, Quest's cats are on a mission to break down barriers and go further beyond what they explored in their previous life.

Of the three standards "'Round Midnight" starts with spatial soprano and piano merging to pure energy, "Dark Eyes" gets a modal, lilting 6/8 treatment, surging, swinging hard, and slowing in dynamic repose, while "Lonely Woman" is shaded in eastern Indian elements with Liebman on wood flute. Coltrane's "Ogunde" revels in free no-time with Beirach suggesting Oriental or Middle Eastern motifs, and Hart's near-20-minute "Redemption" defines the reunion, freezing floating time borrowing a phrase from "Lonely Woman" before bopping the bridge, asserting freedom in a long postlude passage, and generally reviving the unique team spirit that made this band initially notable.

Perhaps the centerpiece of the performance is "WTC/Steel Prayers," a paean to 9/11. You hear and physically feel the apathetic normalcy, increased tension, sudden impact, palpable panic, smoky aftermath, stunned quietude, and non-plussed disbelief -- it's all there. This is a very good representation of what Quest briefly was all about, and on occasion one would hope could remain to be.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/redemp...e-mw0001516715

There's also a "live" quintet date from '76 included in the Mosaic Records 3-disc box set. It appears, though, to be OOP.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I REALLY need to get this one.

I just picked this up. I'm looking forward to hearing this!