Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Prog Festival-impressive line-up!

Night of the Prog Festival-impressive line-up!

Night Of The Prog 2015 bill
    Friday, July 17
    Camel

Pendragon

The Gentle Storm

Beardfish

IOEarth

Saturday, July 18
    Fish – Misplaced Childhood 30th anniversary

Riverside

The Enid

Lazulai

Sylvan

Sunday, July 19
    Steve Hacket plays Genesis Revisited

Pain Of Salvation

Steve Rothery Band

Haken

Kaipa Da Capo

Special Providence

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'll assume this in the UK?

I need to win the lottery....

So, Rothery joins Fish and then vice-versa or what?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I'll assume this in the UK?
    Nope, it is in Germany in the famous amphitheatre like outdoor venue on top of the Lorelei rock overlooking the river Rhine.

Stunningly beautiful place to see a Prog Festival. I was fortunate enough to be there in 2007 to see Jebo, Sylvan, IQ, Asia, Echoes, The Watch, The Merlin Bird, Pendragon, Jethro Tull and Fish. Definitely interested in returning.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Nope, it is in Germany in the famous amphitheatre like outdoor venue on top of the Lorelei rock overlooking the river Rhine.
    awesome setting... Been there once in 05 for the 3daysofloveandpeace festival
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I pine for the days when PA had three festivals in one year.

Unfortunately Bob, we are are small number that miss all three.

And with the confirmation in the mail today that Camel will be performing on July 16 in the Netherlands there is now no reason whatsoever to go to the Night Of The Prog Festival this year. Some might call this line-up impressive but for me personally there are just too many bands I either don't care about or will have seen just recently.

I am totally interested in going to this. I am researching some frequent flyer options right now. Can anybody out there help me with some info (former attendees or German locals).

What is the closest international airport to the festival (Frankfurt?)
    How far from closest airport to festival?
    Is there a way to take transport to and from the festival and the airport or does it require renting a car?
    I see that there is camping at the festival is it free? a fee? secure? Semi clean?
    Is there a town near to the festival that would have accomodations?
    I assume there is large amounts of vending (food , beer , etc) at the festival, is it expensive? decent? easy to access?

Include anything else that you would deem important to know, I thank you for your input.

We went in 2010 and it was fantastic. Best fest ever with Eloy headlining. This year is a really amazing lineup. Well, they usually are!
    Lodging is a bit different for stateside folks though, no hotels, just BB type places. No luxuries we're used to. Try to stay on the east side of the Rhine or else you'll have to rush to catch the last ferry across.
    We stayed in St Goershausen, took a bus up to the venue (nearly a vertical trip!) and walked back (down a loooong steep unlit trail to the freeway with many other people).
    Loreley is beautiful. The view from the venue is breathtaking. Take the ferry down the Rhine. Just remember where to get off to get a return ride. We almost got stranded.
    We flew into Frankfurt, which I think was the closest. About 1.5hrs away. You need a car. And they're much better rentals than American versions.
    There is camping at the venue. No details on that though, but there might be on the website. It is an Onesco site.
    Um, venue sustenance. As a vegetarian, German food is quite hostile to me. Very slim pickins. If you eat meat, you're fine. And the beer is awesome.
    You can bring in cameras, but NO LIQUIDs. Bring a flat flask if you want regular water as the only place to get it is in the bathroom. All the water they sell is that sparkling crap for stupid amounts of money. Beer is actually the cheapest thing you can drink there. It was blazing hot when we went, so we got dehydrated. It's wide open and stone seating. Also ran out of cash, which is a bad thing to happen.
    But it was such a wonderful learning experience and a great time overall. Did I mention how beautiful it is there? Can recommend it high enough.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

So this line-up is real? Son-of-a-Diddley!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Elephant View Post
    I am totally interested in going to this. I am researching some frequent flyer options right now. Can anybody out there help me with some info (former attendees or German locals).

What is the closest international airport to the festival (Frankfurt?)
    How far from closest airport to festival?
    Is there a way to take transport to and from the festival and the airport or does it require renting a car?
    I see that there is camping at the festival is it free? a fee? secure? Semi clean?
    Is there a town near to the festival that would have accomodations?
    I assume there is large amounts of vending (food , beer , etc) at the festival, is it expensive? decent? easy to access?

Include anything else that you would deem important to know, I thank you for your input.
    Hi rouge elephant,

I can really recommend that you should come. Last year was really great, and this year looks like it´s gonna be fantastic. I can agree that Camel might be the highlight, but there is so much more: Pendragon, Riverside, Fish, Steve Hackett, Kaipa (da Capo), Haken... Absolutely great
    It is best to fly to Frankfurt. From there you can easily take the train via Wiesbaden.

more info on the website: http://www.wiventertainment.com/projekte/21-notp.html

steak mit brot-2.JPG

As Jimmy Giant said, if you are a vegetarian you might have a problem.
    If you want a gigantic steak in a minimal bread than you might be ok.

One word....
    Schnitzel!

I was quite fun to drive in another country. Get a car. And have a navigator that can decipher German!
    Also learn some rudimentary German. It will help tremendously. English is not strong there.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

About the food situation: consider having dinner early in the afternoon and go eat at one of the many restaurants in St. Goarshausen before you head up on the Rock. Much better food and certainly cheaper.

Also it doesn't matter anymore on which side of the Rhine you have your lodgings as AFAIK the ferry now goes to other side of the Rhine until after the final gig of the day.

What, you can't get tofu schnitzel or carrot schnitzel, or something??

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    A Germans idea of vegetarian is a small steak.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

How is it possible that a thread that handles one of the most impressive progfestivals in modern time can disappear like this. Now Neal Morse have joined as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Telecaster View Post
    How is it possible that a thread that handles one of the most impressive progfestivals in modern time can disappear like this. Now Neal Morse have joined as well.
    I realise we are spoiled here in Europe but most acts on this line-up do gig around on a (semi)regular basis, so there is no real incentive for me to go see them at an outside festival where weatherwise you either have lots of rain or it is scorching hot.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    A German's idea of vegetarian is a small steak.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Telecaster View Post
    Perhaps because it's not "[one of] the most impressive progfestivals in modern time" to all people. And adding that last guy doesn't necessarily help.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

None of Scrotum's favourite bands are on the bill, I wonder why??? Oh I know, there playing at some obscure bar to an audience of 10 max the same night!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    A Germans idea of vegetarian is a small steak.
    British humour dating from WW2, methinks,

I have three German colleagues (out the 40 working in our institute) who vegeterians, one even going the vegan way.

Loreley (Koblenz) is on the border where Germany starts to be interesting on the cuminary points, and the best German white wines are from the area (Mosel and Rhine valleys) .... South of that lattitude, the southern Bade Wurtemberg and Bavaria landers are definitely the higher-cuisine regions of the Deutsche Republik ... Nowhere close to French or Italian cuisines, but pleasantly surprising at times)

A culinary proghead could find interesting to land in Köln (and visit the historical scene Conny Plank/Diete Dirckx studios, if they still exist), attend Loreley and head south to visit Heidelberg, Rottenburg cities (the later is a medieval jewel) over a small week
    Last edited by Trane; 03-20-2015 at 05:10 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.