Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suge knight rapper in trouble. Murder caught on film

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What the frell does Kiss have to do with it?
    Not Kiss per se, people in makeup and playing loud music scared them. But, it doesn't seem to take much in society to scare people. Sometimes, just an idea will do it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well, and rhythm.

The record labels love rap too; it's cheaper to make than music that uses musical instruments and people who play them. You don't need songwriters who use melodies and chords either.

As for that murder, yeah, saw it on the news yesterday; pretty disturbing! You'd think with the money these rap stars make, they could rise above that kind of criminal behavior.
    It's the criminal behavior that they depend on. Being a hood or thug is what makes this stuff go. The allure of danger and crime is what reels alot of these kids and older people in. And of course, you actually have to go out and get into trouble to make it all creditable.

Wow!!! What a surprise! A rapper thats a criminal! who da thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wow!!! What a surprise! A rapper thats a criminal! who da thunk it?
    Pete, if you don't take that tongue out of your cheek, I'm going to call your parents.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Any Keb Mo fans here?

Just kidding - I don't know who Keb Mo is.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any Keb Mo fans here?

Just kidding - I don't know who Keb Mo is.
    I don't either.

But I don't think he's a rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    With a "sh". like sugar.
    these guys are barely intelligible, but I think trurl is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, it's about doing shit that pisses off your parents. As Lemmy once put it, "Parental outrage is the stamp of approval, isn't it?". Gangsta rap and death metal (and all the other more ridiculous forms of metal) exist for the exact same reason.

Whether macho posturing has anything to do with it, I'm not sure. One of these days, we're going to find out that most of these gangstas are actually suburban kids who've never even set foot in "the hood", much less lived there, and the closest thing to criminal activity they've ever done is circulating VHS tapes of Saturday Night Live amongst their friends.

And you might laugh at that suggestion, but I remember hearing about some rapper back int he early 90's, I can't remember her name, but it eventually came to be known that she was not was raised in the suburbs but she was also private school educated. That particular revelation, as I understand, killed her career.
    Once lived near Compton and was born and raised in the Los Angeles area... These guys are the real deal gangsters. That I am sure of.
    Still alive and well...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe we need a prog musician to off another one - then prog will flourish!

Maybe Steve Howe needs to kick T.I. in the head.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Not Kiss per se, people in makeup and playing loud music scared them. But, it doesn't seem to take much in society to scare people. Sometimes, just an idea will do it.
    I tend to scare a lot of people. Don't know why exactly....I am not all that intimidating
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I will say this, I think it's encouraging that suburban white kids have embraced something of "Black culture" and made it mainstream in the white community.

It's just too bad that it had to be the WORST aspect -- no, make that a PARODY of the worst aspect -- of Black culture.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I will say this, I think it's encouraging that suburban white kids have embraced something of "Black culture" and made it mainstream in the white community.

It's just too bad that it had to be the WORST aspect -- no, make that a PARODY of the worst aspect -- of Black culture.
    This is a great thought and I wished more people would lean this way. Parody is correct. These people don't represent true black culture in any way, shape or form.

If I wore a hoodie and my baseball cap sideways, wouldn't that be enough? Maybe proggers and rappers have alot in common. Mainstream society seems to have issues with us.

Pete, if you don't take that tongue out of your cheek, I'm going to call your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Maybe Steve Howe needs to kick T.I. in the head.
    Howe looks like a strong wind could sent him rolling down the street. does he has it in him to kick at all? try tony levin. he at least looks like he could be a bouncer.

re listening to music that pisses off your parents, I don't quite understand that. or can't relate to it. I've always listened to music I liked. my parents' reaction was not really part of it. some of it they liked; some they didn't like. but I never listened to anything specifically to irritate them. That sounds stupid to me.
    Last edited by davis; 03-11-2015 at 10:32 AM.

On a more positive note, I'm glad the University of Oklahoma took action against a certain frat house on campus. I'm all for free speech but this shows that it can have consequences.

On a more positive note, I'm glad the University of Oklahoma took action against a certain frat house on campus. I'm all for free speech but this shows that it can have consequences.
    Yes, that was the first sign of intelligence out of that area is quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes, that was the first sign of intelligence out of that area is quite a while.
    Aah, the good 'ol days at Berkeley.

And I just don't get it. Young people flock to this crap, music and culture. What's the point? What positives are there?
    The positives are that you can be a talentless thug and still make tons of money.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The positives are that you can be a talentless thug and still make tons of money.
    Maybe I do need to watch the Godfather series again.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    that reminds me of a brief interview I saw with some girl who said her goal is to become famous, "famous for what, I don't care. I just want to be famous"

both are pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    that reminds me of a brief interview I saw with some girl who said her goal is to become famous, "famous for what, I don't care. I just want to be famous".
    Kim Kardashian?
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    It's pronouced "shoog", with the same "oo" sound as "book".

I know because I'm very street.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Once lived near Compton and was born and raised in the Los Angeles area... These guys are the real deal gangsters. That I am sure of.
    Some of them are, but a lot of them aren't. And certainly the kids from the suburbs aren't. I might buy that NWA, for instance, really were thugs (I remember hearing the rumor that their first album was funded from money one of them made as a drug dealer).

As far as gangsta rap being a parody of anything, if I want that, I'll watch The Boondocks. There's a great episode of that show where a rapper gets shot, then writes a song about it, then while performing the song onstage, gets shot again. Only the audience doesn't realize the guys running out onstage isn't part of "the show", and when he screams, "I been shot, somebody call 911", the audience treats it like an audience participation thing and repeats it back to him. Then when Riley (one of the main characters) sneaks into the hospital to see him, Gangstalicious (that's the guy's stage name) tells him how when he was a kid he wanted to be a "gangsta, just like my hero Ice Cube", and Riley being just a kid only knows Cube for his film roles..."You mean that guy who makes family comedies?! You worshipped him?!" Then it turns out the guy who shot him onstage was actually Gangstalicious' gay lover, and Riley is so stunned by the news that he insists that he must have hit his head pretty hard and started hallucinating that he saw Gangstalcious kiss another dude. Pretty funny, I thought.