Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Digital or Vinyl?

Digital or Vinyl?

It seems to me that whether many of us like it or not cds are going the way of the dinosaur. How soon before they are phased out entirely is hard to say but I noticed that Kmart no longer sells cds(not that they ever had much of a selection but still)so that by itself is not a good sign. Also, most of the chain stores are gone. FYE is still around and so is best buy but most of them are gone. It will probably be a while before we can't at least buy cds online but it seems that they don't sell like they did just a few years ago and will be phased out before too long. Despite my moniker I would much prefer vinyl over digital downloads if those become our only two choices. It does seem like even if cds become phased out we'll still have vinyl.

Banned
    Cds on the way out??
    Honestly, this is the first I heard of this.

So then, no new PHYSICAL medium to replace cd?

People just content to store ghosts?

Unfortunately, yes, Jymbot.

I'm not a vinyl guy, but I much prefer physical property of digital files, as with the physical property, you can have both.

But alas, I seem to be in the minority.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, I hope I'm wrong. It is possible that cds will just become a niche market(if it's not already) much the way vinyl is. However, if the battle comes down to vinyl versus cds I think vinyl will win. People seem to be either really hardcore and value the physical medium(ie hipsters and those who don't care about what's popular)and those who aren't really big music fans and just do what everyone else does and go along with whatever is current. Think of it this way. Cassette tapes were around for a long time but they are gone now. Vinyl being the original medium for music gives it an advantage that will probably make it outlive cds.

meimjustalawnmower
    The thing is that now anybody has the option of making their own physical copy very cheaply and conveniently. Much more so than even cassettes. Personally, for the most enjoyable listening experience, I'd take analog vinyl all day long, but I also loved the convenience of CD's and the same goes with WAV or mp3. I rip a lot of stuff to my computer because that's where I'm usually listening. Being an old music seller, of course I miss the physical mediums and the brick & mortars, but the other thing about gettin' old in this age of technology is the joy of not having to leave your chair to buy and listen to an album.
    Last edited by meimjustalawnmower; 12-20-2012 at 04:40 PM.

"Gee, the music store wouldn't give me anything for my WAV files, my mp3's, my cassettes, my 8-tracks, but they bought my Edison cylinders."

I prefer Vinyl (It just sounds better ... when maintained properly etc.) although CD's are more practical and the media I use the most. I will (as long as I can) not buy downloads unless there is no choice.

Brave new world is here:

Sell your used digital files https://www.redigi.com/

or store your CD's and access them from where ever:

https://www.murfie.com/features

For me, it's vinyl when available, CD's when there is no vinyl and downloads when there is no other option, such as the recent run of Stones concerts.

I was not happy that the new Van Morrison was not available on vinyl. One of the few new releases I've picked up this year that no vinyl was produced for.

Most of my listening is done in front of a stereo with a turntable and cd player. I can't get into listening to music on a computer.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    The thing is that now anybody has the option of making their own physical copy very cheaply and conveniently.
    Not to sure how easy it is looking here
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

45 cents for Snoop Dog is still 45 cents too much. :P

Banned
    I don't believe CD's are going anywhere. I think they can and will co-exist with digital files for many years to come. I've been selling CD's (and DVDs') online since 1999. Even then, people were always telling me "yea, but no one is going to be buying those". Quite frankly, the more people tell me this, the more I sell and at higher prices as well. Personally, I think DVD's loaded with quality extra content will be worth A LOT money, as time goes on and there are fewer and fewer places to buy physical product. People will want those commentaries and documentaries and whatever else are on the DVD's...not just a stream of the movie. I'm talking about true movie buffs, the casual movie fan will continue to be content with just watching a move in Cable or TV or Netflix or whatever. And Vinyl will continue to be the niche format it is today so long live Vinyl.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I noticed that Kmart no longer sells cds(not that they ever had much of a selection but still)so that by itself is not a good sign..
    I was in Kmart two nights ago and they had CD's. It was the same lamo selection they always have, but they had them. Current releases, popular cataloge items, $5-priced titles, it was all there.

meimjustalawnmower
    The standard music CD is on the brink of extinction and will most likely be gone within the next 3 years, as will the standard DVD, being totally replaced by Blu-Ray. There will always be a collectors market, just as there is for anything else, but discount retailers such as Wal*Mart, Kmart, etc are not going to devote real estate to these dying formats, and it's just a matter of time before the last of the FYE's and Best Buys go belly up.

Banned
    I don't see CD's going away in three years, or even 10 years. The "death of the CD" has been talked about since at least the late 90's. The loss of the Standard DVD to the Blu-ray won't be that big of a deal if it ever even happens. Blu-ray is still considered a niche format. I mean Laserdiscs were far supior to VHS yet VHS kicked its ass. So something "better" doesn't automatically guarantee general acceptance.

I much prefer physical media than files. Even though Hi-rez sounds pretty damn good.

Vinyl is a must for me. Not that I think it always sounds better than digital, but it certainly does SOME things better. Particularly: imaging, soundstage, ambiance.

I also love CD's. Will be hard to live without them (if they truly go away as predicted). Can't beat that dynamic range, low noise floor, convenience.

When I listen to classical, especially chamber music, vinyl is my first choice. Being able to 'see' the players in a very defined space in my room is something that I would find it hard to live without. This also goes for a lot of jazz, especially the ECM stuff. Digital formats do not do this as well.

As already mentioned, a properly maintained LP is amazingly quite. And when played on a good TT, arm and cartridge, the sound is very seductive.

With prog, or fusion, digital is fine, since most of it is recorded with modern recording techniques (musicians recording different parts at different times, overdubs, effects, etc). Although I still like it on vinyl if it was originally recorded during the analog era.

MP3 are unlistenable to me. They are so sonically compromised. They are highly fatiguing.

meimjustalawnmower
    @ 80's-

Good luck with that. There were other reasons why VHS outlasted the Laserdiscs, and it had nothing to do with quality. Beta was better than VHS. Even Blu-Ray will be the last of the physical formats as Downloads will become the standard. It's inevitable.

I prefer legitimate physical media; part of that is due to the fact that I am a pretty rabid collector, and part of it is due to the fact that well-maintained LPs and CDs generally sound much better than mp3 files (which sound very dry and thin to my ears). I've always loved LPs and they are still the most fun format to collect. Sadly they have also become the most expensive.

However, being primarily a music lover, I am also OK with digital media; the convenience is hard to beat, and if you stick with lossless files it's hard to argue against the sound quality. I like to take music with me wherever I go, and having a small digital player beats lugging around cases full of discs or cassettes (yes, I still have some of those too).

Unfortunately, lossless files do take up a lot more disc space, so (hopefully) higher bit-rate mp3s are often the substitute. I can tolerate them if needed, but IMO they are far inferior to physical product and/or lossless formats, so I'm trying to avoid them more and more as I acquire new stuff.

So ultimately I consider three formats to be acceptable, over the long term: LPs, CDs and lossless digital, in that order of preference. All three have advantages and drawbacks, but at the end of the day all of them can be satisfactorily used to enjoy music, which is the overall goal.
    Last edited by Reginod; 12-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Banned
    @ 80's-

Good luck with that. There were other reasons why VHS outlasted the Laserdiscs, and it had nothing to do with quality. Beta was better than VHS. Even Blu-Ray will be the last of the physical formats as Downloads will become the standard. It's inevitable.
    I know Beta was better than VHS and Laser disc was better than both - that's my exact point. I'm not trying to argue with you but since you know it all, it's pointless anyway. I'm sure you will pull out the "age card" on your next post. Based on "how much you know due to your age", you must be like 90 years old. I believe CD's will be around for a long while, you don't - two opinions, the end.

Most big box stores began phasing out CDs two years ago. MP3s are much better for sellers because the return rate is much lower.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I know Beta was better than VHS and Laser disc was better than both - that's my exact point. I'm not trying to argue with you but since you know it all, it's pointless anyway. I'm sure you will pull out the "age card" on your next post.
    Dude- I can't help if I'm more "experienced" than you are. I've been on the retail end of this stuff for nearly 30 years, and my "opinion" is based on all that I've seen and learned in that amount of time. It's not as if I'm makin' all this stuff up. Sure, they were predicting the end of the CD back in '99. But in 1999 you couldn't download a movie to your phone. It's the advances in technology that have been made in such a short period of time that determines the future. Now, by the same token, you do sell used CD's on ebay, so I'm certainly willing to bow to your superior knowledge.

Banned
    Dude- I can't help if I'm more "experienced" than you are. I've been on the retail end of this stuff for nearly 30 years, and my "opinion" is based on all that I've seen and learned in that amount of time. It's not as if I'm makin' all this stuff up. Sure, they were predicting the end of the CD back in '99. But in 1999 you couldn't download a movie to your phone. It's the advances in technology that have been made in such a short period of time that determines the future. Now, by the same token, you do sell used CD's on ebay, so I'm certainly willing to bow to your superior knowledge.
    you really an impossible person to have an intelligent conversation with. It must be incredibly miserable for anyone who gets stuck sitting next you on a bus or a plane...or at Thanksgiving dinner. Wow, you not only pulled out the "age card" but you pulled out the "I've worked in retail card" too. Nice job! Anyway, I still think BOTH can and will co-exist. I'm not saying that as fact, but as opinion.

Banned
    The standard music CD is on the brink of extinction and will most likely be gone within the next 3 years
    Like feck.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    you really an impossible person to have an intelligent conversation with. It must be incredibly miserable for anyone who gets stuck sitting next you on a bus or a plane...or at Thanksgiving dinner. Wow, you not only pulled out the "age card" but you pulled out the "I've worked in retail card" too. Nice job!
    And, as always, you pulled out the "petulant" card.
    This is too easy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    So ultimately I consider three formats to be acceptable, over the long term: LPs, CDs and lossless digital, in that order of preference. All three have advantages and drawbacks, but at the end of the day all of them can be satisfactorily used to enjoy music, which is the overall goal.
    correct, I think all three will survived and co-exist for many years to come.

I still have my album collection and my cassettes, which get played in the car, or not at all. I put mp3s on the iPod, of course, which is used for work at low volumes.
    I'd hate to see CDs go as mp3s are not fantastic, soundwise. Vinyl is still the best in that department IMO.