Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Digital or Vinyl?

FWIW, I was at Best Buy yesterday and they had at least two different turntables for sale.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    FWIW, I was at Best Buy yesterday and they had at least two different turntables for sale.
    and just about every store, even places like Kohls and Big Lots, sell those "Vintage" looking turntables, I think some that let you record your records onto MP3s or whatever. Yes, they are total shit, but they are turntables...being sold in Big Lots and Kohls.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    and just about every store, even places like Kohls and Big Lots, sell those "Vintage" looking turntables, I think some that let you record your records onto MP3s or whatever. Yes, they are total shit, but they are turntables...being sold in Big Lots and Kohls.
    I considered buying one of those 'conversion' turntables but the look of the cartridges scared me away....fast !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I considered buying one of those 'conversion' turntables but the look of the cartridges scared me away....fast !
    yea, some of the cheaper ones would probably fuck up your vinyl in the process.

meimjustalawnmower
    Any turntable with a pre-amp can be converted with only a USB adaptor.

Banned
    I guess this is on topic...a few more FYE's in NJ are closign (that I know of). Somerville NJ and Eatontown.

If the turntable doesnt sound good, the mp3 wont either.
    But Project does make turntables with this option. Like this one http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutphusb
    http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...620-20mo5.html

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It seems to me that whether many of us like it or not cds are going the way of the dinosaur.
    Silly goose. If CDs are being phased out -- which as others have pointed out, is a pretty outre assumption -- but if they are, they're being supplanted by digital downloads -- not by vinyl.

AFAIK, other than hearing a needle in a groove or pop/crackle sounds, I can't tell whether I'm listening to a recording on vinyl or digital.
    As long as blank CD-Rs are available, I'll continuing burning digital download$ onto them. likewise, if it's on CD, I'll buy that unless the digital version is more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Silly goose. If CDs are being phased out -- which as others have pointed out, is a pretty outre assumption -- but if they are, they're being supplanted by digital downloads -- not by vinyl.
    Yeah, I'm way out of line.

I think you are the silly one since you seem to be oblivious to the fact that vinyl has made a pretty strong comeback over the past ten years or so not to mention that there are always going to be some people who will want and even demand a physical format.

Oh and others can point out what they want but I think it's pretty apparent cds are slowly being phased out. Anyone who can't see that is just living in denial. That's not to say they will definitely disappear forever but the market is increasingly becoming smaller and smaller and it's very possible they will go the way of cassette tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    The standard music CD is on the brink of extinction and will most likely be gone within the next 3 years, as will the standard DVD, being totally replaced by Blu-Ray. There will always be a collectors market, just as there is for anything else, but discount retailers such as Wal*Mart, Kmart, etc are not going to devote real estate to these dying formats, and it's just a matter of time before the last of the FYE's and Best Buys go belly up.
    For once, I'm agreeing with 80's...

CDs are not going anywhere... yes sales are dwindling and some artistes will probably choose not to release on CD;... but who gives a shit?? Shoot themselves in the other foot by not releasing vinyls either... see if I care...

Nope, CDs will probably/certainly always outsell vinyls (which are a fad right now)...

I mean if the stores are out of business, it's because everyone buys on the web... but CDs are still over 50% of music sales
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    For once, I'm agreeing with 80's...

CDs are not going anywhere... yes sales are dwindling and some artistes will probably choose not to release on CD;... but who gives a shit?? Shoot themselves in the other foot by not releasing vinyls either... see if I care...

Nope, CDs will probably/certainly always outsell vinyls (which are a fad right now)...

I mean if the stores are out of business, it's because everyone buys on the web... but CDs are still over 50% of music sales
    That's fine by me. I prefer cds to vinyl over all anyway(although both have advantages and disadvantages). I personally don't see why we can't have all three formats but the truth is you rarely see people at the gym or anywhere these days with a portable cd player. It's all ipods, ipods, ipods. What good are cds and how can it stay around that long if they stop making cd players and yes stereo systems that don't have cd players but instead just have docking stations for ipods seem to be more common these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That's fine by me. I prefer cds to vinyl over all anyway(although both have advantages and disadvantages). I personally don't see why we can't have all three formats but the truth is you rarely see people at the gym or anywhere these days with a portable cd player. It's all ipods, ipods, ipods. What good are cds and how can it stay around that long if they stop making cd players and yes stereo systems that don't have cd players but instead just have docking stations for ipods seem to be more common these days.

I'm not big on having music stuck to my ears all over the place... I have Cds in the car and at home >> that's about 95% of the music time I have... I still have a discman and a CD wallet, in case I'm going on a short trip, but I do carry around my rather big Sennheiser headphones, because I refuse to use AMAP these ... earphones... yeah, sure it's a little more cumbersome, but it's much better than those memory banks and needleheads speakers damaging your eardrums

Yeah, of course joggers have stopped using walkman and discman a long time ago >> MP3/iPods are indeed so much lighter and smaller....
    but if I'm ever going to jog (not likely ) again, I won't want to listen to music at a time I sufffer (on top of it, it's dangerous to cut yourself from surrounding streetnoises)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    I'm not big on having music stuck to my ears all over the place... I have Cds in the car and at home >> that's about 95% of the music time I have... I still have a discman and a CD wallet, in case I'm going on a short trip, but I do carry around my rather big Sennheiser headphones, because I refuse to use AMAP these ... earphones... yeah, sure it's a little more cumbersome, but it's much better than those memory banks and needleheads speakers damaging your eardrums
    Big Earphones User here too....stuffing small earbuds into ones ears isn't a very safe thing to do plus quite frankly, it's kind of gross. No matter how many Q-tips one uses, there is always earwax in there and earbuds will stuff that earwax futher in. If you notice, all sportcasters still wear earphones the size of a buick and it's for good reasons.

I predict that vinyl will be a sought after format longer than CD's.

As I said earlier, vinyl has many positive attributes that some listeners prize over the positive attributes of digital formats.

The 'fad' aspect is not as large as you believe. Not to mention, that many that are currently into vinyl for the 'fad' aspect, will come to enjoy those positive sonic attributes that vinyl is capable of. So, there will be future vinyl fans for the 'right reasons' due the the fad.

Big Earphones User here too....stuffing small earbuds into ones ears isn't a very safe thing to do plus quite frankly, it's kind of gross. No matter how many Q-tips one uses, there is always earwax in there and earbuds will stuff that earwax futher in. If you notice, all sportcasters still wear earphones the size of a buick and it's for good reasons.
    The earbuds get sucked in by the void inside the sportcaster's skull??

I can only speak for myself but FWIW:

I don't buy CDs anymore without having listened to it first and making my mind up on whether I need it or not. On the other hand, I still see myself spending $50 on the vinyl LP that I haven't heard a note from. The explanation is fairly simple - original vinyl is a precious commodity, and if I don't like the album, I will easily get my money back by selling or trading the record. Not so with the CDs, especially those that are in print and are available everywhere - naturally most people into this stuff would prefer to get a new copy from the retailer rather than buy my used one (even if it's been played just once or twice).

I also ceased buying CDs online - except those that are offered by the musicians themselves for the alluring price, such as Manogurgeil that was offered on the old PE a few months ago by one of the band members (I think a few of us jumped on this opportunity, and the album turned out really great). For everything else, it really doesn't make sense, with the postage and all, given that I won't listen to the actual physical copy more than once or twice anyway - I do not spend much time at home. If I like it, I'd normally burn it into digital files and listen to them from there on. So most CDs I'm getting now get bought over here in Moscow, and I have to admit that I tend to wait until I find used copies or those new unsold items will end up in bargain bins. I'm not in a hurry at all - I have a lot of music to listen to.

I know that if I ever get into trouble or my family is going through tough times, I can always raise some money by selling my vinyls. So I'm happily investing in them - they bring both musical pleasure and a possibility of potential financial gain. I can't force myself to pay the typical prices for CDs anymore. So, in my universe, CDs are dying indeed.

Although I do not think it is going to happen any soon, I don't have that much of a problem if CDs are discontinued as long as they have lossless downloads as a replacement. I see mp3 downloads the same way as I saw buying albums released in cassette back in the early eighties. A waste of my money. I would not buy any music in lossy format when storage space is so cheap and most of the people have high speed internet available to download their music.

i had records and could not get them to stop skipping popping, weezing et al. so the cd's are my media of choice. downloads to me are not worth it since i want a physical item in my hands and not bit s and bytes.

Banned
    not to mention i have lots of CD's and Vinyl (and cassettes) autographed. Besides great conversation pieces, they all will retain some value. You can't get an MP3 autographed.

meimjustalawnmower
    The point is this: The overall demand for both vinyl and CD's has decreased exponentially, to the point where only a select amount of titles are readily available. There's no denying that fact. Otherwise, there would still be record stores in every mall in every town. But now it's getting harder to find a mall, much less a record store. If I wanted to find a particular ceramic fuse, I probably could, but it would be less trouble to just replace the fuse box with a circuit breaker. Of course, now I have to explain to 80's boy about what a fuse box is. Fuck it. He can Google it.

If Thomas Edison autographed your fuse box, I'd recommend that you save it after you changed it.

It'd probably be worth more if Nikola Tesla signed it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    The point is this: The overall demand for both vinyl and CD's has decreased exponentially, to the point where only a select amount of titles are readily available. There's no denying that fact. Otherwise, there would still be record stores in every mall in every town. But now it's getting harder to find a mall, much less a record store. If I wanted to find a particular ceramic fuse, I probably could, but it would be less trouble to just replace the fuse box with a circuit breaker. Of course, now I have to explain to 80's boy about what a fuse box is. Fuck it. He can Google it.
    yes, old man - i need you to tell me what a fuse box. Actually, what is a mall??? And why can't anyone find one? One day you can tell us your World War 1 stories.

meimjustalawnmower
    yes, old man - i need you to tell me what a fuse box. Actually, what is a mall??? And why can't anyone find one? One day you can tell us your World War 1 stories.
    Like shooting fish in a barrel.