Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Digital or Vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    It depends on what the nurse looks like whether I'd let her hold it or not!

Bill

Exactly and it depends on what the "it" is that she's holding too. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Exactly and it depends on what the "it" is that she's holding too. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by LongFrog View Post
    You may not be able to hear subtleties on YouTube, but you can sure notice it when a record is scratchy.

With a properly operating TT and gentle tracking force (I usually run 1.5 grams, but there used to be a Shure cartridge w. stylus that could do 0.75 grams) I think you need to play a record hundreds, if not thousand of times before you notice any wear. Dust accumulation and accidental damage are a lot more likely to shorten the record's useful life than the stylus-induced wear. Fortunately, those can be prevented and mitigated: records are meant to be cherished, so store it right, don't drop, don't grab with yer greasy fingers etc.
    Very true.

Record wear, when played on good equipment, is nowhere near as big an issue as many think.

It's not just about tracking force. The shape of the stylus itself is more important. Modern stylus shapes contact much more of the groove, so the pressure is spread over a larger area.

Something like a Shibata, Micro Line or Hyperelliptical stylus can be tracked at 2 grams or more, and still cause substantially less wear than an elliptical tracking at under 1.5 grams.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

You are on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Very true.

Record wear, when played on good equipment, is nowhere near as big an issue as many think.

It's not just about tracking force. The shape of the stylus itself is more important. Modern stylus shapes contact much more of the groove, so the pressure is spread over a larger area.

Something like a Shibata, Micro Line or Hyperelliptical stylus can be tracked at 2 grams or more, and still cause substantially less wear than an elliptical tracking at under 1.5 grams.
    I know somebody who bought a single and made a recording as he played it the first time. He then played it 250 times (hopefully it was a good song) and then made another recording. There was no deterioration in sound quality whatsoever. He couldn't tell the difference between the first time it was played or the 250th. I don't know the guy personally, but I've corresponded with him quite a few times and trust his ears. I've just never bought into the myth that each time you play a record, it sounds a little worse than before. It makes me wonder what kind of styli people use to play their records with or how they have their turntables set up...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hope that since vinyl has made a comeback, vinyl bootlegs will make a comeback too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I hope that since vinyl has made a comeback, vinyl bootlegs will make a comeback too.
    As soon as LP-Rs hit the market.

Bring back TAKRL!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Bring back TAKRL!
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Great Dane and Swinging Pig.

http://www.jadedpunk.com/post/533664...ler-is-amazing

Holy Shit, This Digital Vinyl Promo Mailer Is Amazing

Holy shit, this is cool looking. This German record label, Kantor Records, realized that people were taking promo CDs and basically tossing them out the window at old people because kids hate compact discs. So they pressed their latest release on vinyl WHICH PLAYS WITH A SMARTPHONE.

While we don’t care about whatever shitty club music they’re promoting(it sounds like what you’d hear in an H&M dressing room), this is a great idea. It appeals both the old bastard side of us but also the side that is addicted to our iPhones. So if anyone wants to send us a Neurosis record on this thing, we wouldn’t hate that.

That's nothing new.

Check this out

Extracting Audio from Pictures

> Holy Shit, This Digital Vinyl Promo Mailer Is Amazing

Uh, it's not actually playing the music FROM the vinyl, though, is it? Isn't it fetching the audio from somewhere else? It's kind of just a trick, I think.

You haven't REALLY heard Vinyl until you've heard it on a water-powered Turntable!
    image.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Just saw this morning on Euronews a feature on vinyl market... sources mostly from UK...

1- Vinyls are at their best level since 2003, which is a bit of a surprise, IMHO (I guess we're talking about an era where vinyl scratchers accounted for most of the sales)
    2- vinyl sales are approaching or expected to reach in the next years the 1M copies/year mark
    3- Despite that, vinyls still only account for 0.8% of all UK sales
    4- But to show that CD sales are decreasing, the vinyl sales (remember level same as 2003) is up from 0.1 to 0.8% of total sales
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bingo. Somebody gone done and did it.

https://www.wired.com/story/phonocut/

Wow, that's amazing..thanks for sharing this.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Rubbish.
    You have some mastertapes, and someone decides that it should be an LP or a CD.
    Different technical procedures, both can be awesome if done well.

If you dont have the mastertapes - but you can find an old pristine LP, then LP.

The idea that individual songs sound better in one format or another because they are those songs is nonsense. Might as well believe in voodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The idea that individual songs sound better in one format or another because they are those songs is nonsense. Might as well believe in voodoo.
    Kinda what I was thinking as well, but who knows. Maybe certain recordings are more "vinyl friendly"?

If, with today’s analog to digital [and vice versa) technologies, if folks can’t make a cd sound better than vinyl, they’re doing something wrong. Beyond what I hear (don’t do vinyl anymore, so don’t follow it much) about “high res vinyl,” CDs have broader potential for frequency and dynamic range. So unless someone’s asleep at the switch...

...and while I can’t/won’t name names, some labels have affirmed this to me. Yes, they do vinyl because of demand, but they don’t believe it’s a better medium. Sorry!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    1/4" tape is best

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    1/4" tape is best
    8-track
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    8-track
    true, no other format has that romantic "kerchunk kerchunk" in between programs.

Lathe-cuts are just this.
    There are small scale labels/bands releasing lathe-cuts in limited runs and some are ultra collectible.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS