Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out my Tiger Moth Tales video

The Isle of Witches is probably the most "difficult" track on Cocoon for me. Having said that, it still contains some quite interesting passages and it's pretty cool that Pete wrote it quite a while ago (when he was a teenager? I'm having trouble remembering now...). Pretty ambitious composition.

Chigwick and Tigers In The Butter were the tracks that jumped out at me as well, with both emotional impact and the fun quotient, but the whole album is very enjoyable. Would love to see a vinyl edition of this.

It's funny, the first track that grabbed me on first listen was Tigers In The Butter, which I still love, but I also think Don't Let Go, Feels Alright is quite magnificent. It has a great pop/contemporary rather than progressive feel to it, and the last section is just beautiful.

But of course Tales of Chigwick is also a killer, with the Overture, Merry Widow and First Lament my next faves...and last but er...not least, Isle Of Witches.

Been playing the album for a while now, and keep coming back to it. The more I listen it strikes me that apart from the obvious prog references, there are also brilliant melodic/pop sections, both vocal and musical...particularly during Tigers, Chigwick and Don't Let Go.

And I believe it's Pete's ability for melody and subtlety that hooks people into the album when they hear it for the first time.

Mind you...considering it's 10.30pm on a weekday and I am blasting it out at full belt my upstairs neighbours may not agree...but the advantage of being a man of advancing years living alone means you can get way with all sorts of shit...and then just feign various old age maladies the next day....

'Oh, my profuse apologies Tarquin, were you really hammering on my window and front door last night for hours...begging your pardon old man, hearing not what it was I'm afraid...possibly too much cider and walnut cake...don't you know...oooohh me aching back...not long for his world etc...'
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My legs are gone, and my eyes are old and bent...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My legs are gone, and my eyes are old and bent...
    ...found this spoon sir!
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Well I've really connected with 'Dont Let Go, Feels Alright', the last few minutes, and 'Chigwick' nearly brought tears to my eyes. And there is a really good instrumental section in 'The Merry Vicar' that was really impressive chordally. 'Tigers..' is another one I'm enjoying, and 'First Lament' is good too, Camelesque perhaps. Wow he sure is good on both guitar and keys and sings quite nice as well!

The next in the Pete Jones interview series. This time he talks about some of the instruments he plays.

Thanks for posting that Kris. I enjoyed the previous interview, and will watch this one later on today (or perhaps during a break at work).

I'm glad to see so many here are enjoying this album, as it is really a lovely piece of work. One of the most pleasant surprises to come out of the blue in quite a long time. It's symph/prog that doesn't forget to also be good music first and foremost -- something I really appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks for posting that Kris. I enjoyed the previous interview, and will watch this one later on today (or perhaps during a break at work).

I'm glad to see so many here are enjoying this album, as it is really a lovely piece of work. One of the most pleasant surprises to come out of the blue in quite a long time. It's symph/prog that doesn't forget to also be good music first and foremost -- something I really appreciate.
    Agreed. Thanks Kris.

Here's Pete performing Hyperventilate from Frost*'s album Milliontown.

A Visit to Chigwick reminds me of some Hackett's Please Don't Touch with Richie Havens singing on it, although Pete's voice is a little higher he has real nice phrasing. Ordered a couple. Sounds quality, hopefully the rest is close. Thanks for the heads up.

Interview time again.
    This time Pete talks about his time on the X Factor.

Interview number 4. Pete discusses his solo album 'Look At Me Now' and his experiences with various record companies.

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Here's Pete performing Hyperventilate from Frost*'s album Milliontown.
    That was great! Really enjoyed that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well....after talking with Pete a bit for the past few months, I think I can say with some clarity.....that Pete has found his "sound". He's found his sound and he's found his "people" in the prog community. He is already much appreciated here for the honesty in his music and he's able to write about his experiences and his feelings about life without holding back. It probably isn't going to make him a rich person, but I think he's found his niche....and it's honest and allows him to, in a rather unrestrained way, present what makes him tick. He's a rare talent and I'm really glad he found US.

-Marty

Here is Peter playing his solo acoustic version of The Musical Box......tale retold.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by harbinger58 View Post
    Well....after talking with Pete a bit for the past few months, I think I can say with some clarity.....that Pete has found his "sound". He's found his sound and he's found his "people" in the prog community. He is already much appreciated here for the honesty in his music and he's able to write about his experiences and his feelings about life without holding back. It probably isn't going to make him a rich person, but I think he's found his niche....and it's honest and allows him to, in a rather unrestrained way, present what makes him tick. He's a rare talent and I'm really glad he found US.

-Marty
    I turned my prog buddy onto the videos and he told me on Sunday that he and his prog-loving brother ordered up what he stated were the last two copies available on Amazon!

Interview number 5.
    Pete discovers the current Prog scene.

I purchased the Cocoon album and recently listened to it for the first time. It's wonderful - some great playing and beautiful moments.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This one kills:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This one kills:

Wow - Gary Moore would be very impressed. Thanks for sharing, really great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    I’ve been listening to Pete Jones’ album Cocoon now for a few months and the song that has meant the most to me is ‘A Visit to Chigwick’. For anyone over forty who’s from the UK, you’ll no doubt remember TV shows Trumpton, Camberwick Green and Chigley and it will probably be a big trip down memory lane. If you fall outside that category I hope you appreciate it and already have a vision in your mind from what Pete’s lyrics describe.
    I’ve never edited a music video before but when Pete came down to the studio and we (Rob Reed and I) filmed him singing this amazing song I knew that I had to try and produce something that would visually enhance it.
    I hope I have done him proud but it does pain me that Pete will never get to see it so all I ask is that you can leave some feedback so he can read your comments.

Wonderful!!