Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groups that returned

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    kaipa: considerable gap btw 1978 and 2002, now with seven further albums to their tenure track.
    UK: successful in itself when considering that it did actually happen (low yield notwithstanding)
    With a hiatus of about Thirty Years, did you ever see that one coming?

Syn?
    It Bites?

My current favorite album is Amenophis' "Time" from last year. Their last previous release was in 1988.

Suspended
    Nirvana!

Albeit with a completely different sound, and none of the original members.

Happy The Man returned with Muse Awakens and played Nearfest 2000. That was a sincere return and believe me ..those bootleg recordings of Nearfest 2000 will keep you on the edge of your seat. Then the typical mentality existed in people when they made comments about the music sounding "New Age" and not enough like Crafty Hands and that's basically your debate when any group returns. Univers Zero disappeared after the release of Heatwave and returned with The Hard Quest. Some people in the past have confused The Hard Quest with something else. A percentage of people of course have a personal opinion based on how the music is appealing, but all the typical comments floated through the air and they were in fact judgements brought against Univers Zero. Statements like "They are not as good", Their composition is not as complex", "They tried to return after a long stretch and only accomplished half of what they did best between the first album and the fifth" and comments like these are more based on the reality that they DID return and as a result of any band returning, people build themselves UP to be letdown psychologically ...when in the real world, Univers Zero were simply doing a different kind of album ...one that was completely diverse from Heatwave and it didn't lack in any sense of the word because it was sincere art. Sometimes I think that people are so pathetic, selling themselves short on a half bent theory revolving around the "group returned" concept that if they were unaware of the band ever disappearing in the first place..they might like the album. This is a situation when people sometimes act stupid and ignorant to art and become totally dismissive of the reality that a band must change ..and further write reviews with cruel thrusts.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Wally
    What? Have they released anything on return? Their second 70s album was quite OK... Not exactly great, but alright. It'd probably have a grand appeal to fans of Fantasy and the likes.

'Fans of Fantasy' - geeky prog site stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thinking Plague have had two 9 year hiatus' between albums in their history.
    Oh, but although there are the frequent 5-page threads on TP, most people in here don't (wanna) know about them. There's no Portnoy relevance, y'see.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What? Have they released anything on return? Their second 70s album was quite OK... Not exactly great, but alright. It'd probably have a grand appeal to fans of Fantasy and the likes.

'Fans of Fantasy' - geeky prog site stuff.
    Wally put out a cd called Montpelier about 3 years ago. Quite good. And a DVD of a live performance. Even better. Sadly I think there was no market for it and they disbanded again. Great band.

Tribal Tech: There was a 12 year hiatus between "Rocket Science" (2000) and "X" (2012). Unfortunately, there won't be any more.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Great band.
    I suppose in a sense it's rather strange how they weren't more popular with listeners usually into 70s semi-obscure ditties like Kestrel, Quicksand, Druid, Fantasy, Taurus and the likes. The songwriting is fine (if a little understated) and the music is quite accessible in a BJH-meets-M.M.'s Earthband kinda way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I suppose in a sense it's rather strange how they weren't more popular with listeners usually into 70s semi-obscure ditties like Kestrel, Quicksand, Druid, Fantasy, Taurus and the likes. The songwriting is fine (if a little understated) and the music is quite accessible in a BJH-meets-M.M.'s Earthband kinda way.
    I suppose Pete Sage has enough on his plate, working with Achim Reichel and Santiano.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Santiano.
    God forbid!

Echolyn. Paid their dues, got the record contract, lost the record contract, and drifted apart. Five years later they put out a new album and are still making music today.

Suspended
    The Beatles!

Only for two songs - and sans john Lennon of course.