Thread: Messiaen's Turangalilia, going to see it!!!!

Messiaen's Turangalilia, going to see it!!!!

Performed by the CSO in May and conducted by Salonen!

Damm!!! CANNOT WAIT!

Curious what people think about this piece.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Freebird !
    WORD BITCHES

Sounds exciting! I've only seen it on YouTube with Joanna MacGegor on piano. The CSO led by Salonen sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Sounds exciting! I've only seen it on YouTube with Joanna MacGegor on piano. The CSO led by Salonen sounds awesome!
    Doesnt it Reid....waiting for Frankie to chime in

best
    Michael

I saw it about 18 months ago at the Kennedy Center. It needs a HUGE HUGE orchestra.

They actually had an Ondes M and spoke about it and the piece.

GREAT piece. Enjoy!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Performed by the CSO in May and conducted by Salonen!

Damm!!! CANNOT WAIT!

Curious what people think about this piece.

best
    Michael
    Lucky you. I like the piece a lot but have never seen it performed. My favorite recording is the 2001 Kent Nagano on Teldec.

I just checked, and it looks like Salonen is doing this with the NY Philharmonic exactly one year from now, so I'm marking my calendar!
    Last edited by Facelift; 03-07-2015 at 01:11 PM.

A guy I know who is a Messiaen fanatic says that the Antoni Wit recording on Naxos is the best available version as far as conducting, playing, and sound is concerned.

This is the one I want to pick up...

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1093

best
    Michael

I have the Chailly CD. But not the SACD version. It sounds fine to me, but I'm no expert on this work.

Big time Messiaen fan here, but i admit to not owning Turangalilia.I,too,have heard fulsome praise for the Naxos/Antoni Wit rendition.Methinks i'll spring for the Naxos, since it also includes the orchestral version of L'Ascension,which i've never heard(i only have L'Ascension in its organ incarnation).
    Last edited by walt; 03-08-2015 at 03:07 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

In the beginning I thought Messiaen was only long boring works for organ...until I stumbled upon Chailly's Turangalilia and suddenly I was hooked. I have four or five different recordings (Naxos, Teldec, etc), but haven't had a chance to really compare performances. It's hard to imagine Chailly's being improved upon, but I do recall being pleasantly surprised at how good the Naxos was (recording quality - I'm not enough of an expert to comment on performance quality). --Peter

Enjoy! It's on my list of works I want to see live, but I haven't had the opportunity yet. Two weeks ago I did see a performance of Quatuor pour le fin du temps and a piece (I forget the title) for 6 (yes, six!) ondes martenot. I have to say that the piece was OK, not great, but I hadn't seen a real ondes before, so it was still very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Enjoy! It's on my list of works I want to see live, but I haven't had the opportunity yet. Two weeks ago I did see a performance of Quatuor pour le fin du temps and a piece (I forget the title) for 6 (yes, six!) ondes martenot. I have to say that the piece was OK, not great, but I hadn't seen a real ondes before, so it was still very enjoyable.
    I love that piece! Couldnt even imagine what it would sound like with six Ondes Martenot's.

best
    Michael

Saw it performed in London a few years ago during the Messiaen centenary festival. A stunning experience, ondes martenot and all! It was probably the recital that made me realise orchestral music can only ever be replicated in recordings, not equalled.

This is the one I want to pick up...

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1093

best
    Michael
    This is the version I have, and I love it.
    I also have a DVDA with the LSO / Previn but imho it is not as good.

I love that piece! Couldnt even imagine what it would sound like with six Ondes Martenot's.
    Er.. it wasn't Quatuor for ondes martenots They played Quatuor and they (a different ensemble) played a piece for six ondes.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    A guy I know who is a Messiaen fanatic says that the Antoni Wit recording on Naxos is the best available version as far as conducting, playing, and sound is concerned.
    Yeah, I have that recording - very very killer with exceptional sonics. But I also love Nagano/Berliner and Chung (on DG) probably as much - its easy to appreciate all three. My three desert island versions. Michael - awesome man! Jealous - never saw it live (yet).

chalkpie

Check out this youth orchestra of the UK destroying this movement. SO good. This movement is so fucked up - its like George Gershwin meets Hollywood meets mescaline/peyote. One of my fav classical pianists Pierre-Laurent Aimard is playing here also.

I have the Chung version. Never saw it live (I did get to see Des canyons aux étoiles a few years ago). It's a bit schmaltzy and heavy-handed at times (the Hollywood reference is not far off the mark) - but what a glorious life-affirming piece ! My favorite Messiaen pieces remain Sept Haïkai, Chronochromie and Couleurs de la cité céleste.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 03-08-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Check out this youth orchestra of the UK destroying this movement.
    Wasn't sure whether this meant playing it fantastically well or fantastically badly but it sounds okay to me.

I don't listen to Turangalila often (I prefer Des canyons aux étoiles ... amongst the longer pieces) but I enjoy it when I hear it and I'm almost sure that I saw it performed about 25 years ago. You wouldn't think you could forget that sort of thing, but I have some recollection if it. I went through a phase of listening to quite a lot of Messiaen and it's one of my personal ambitions to see St. Francis some time, but I do find his organ music hard going.

Messiaen was the first 20th century composer my friend played for me back circa 1975 and it left a big impression.Messiaen's early organ cycles are still, after many years, the cd's of his i play most often.L'Ascension,La Nativite du Seigneur,Les Corps Glorieux,Le Banquet Celeste,Apparition de L'eglise eternelle,Diptyque..all these organ pieces are dear to me.

I will always remember the first time i heard a Messiaen organ piece live.The Cathedral of St.John the Divine, 1978 in NYC,i forget the organist's name, but he played L'Ascension, and it was a never to be forgotten experience. I've seen all these organ compositions live over the years in NYC, as well as a few other compositions,:Vingt Regards sur l'enfant Jesus(solo piano),Des Canyons Aux Etoiles,Couluers de la Cite Celeste,Quartet for the End of Time...a couple of others.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

It's a fab piece, and if they bring the martinot you'll end up happy for a week - at least.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Did you known that Lila on Futurama was named after this piece? Her full name is Turanga Lila.

I saw the Cleveland Orchestra perform this piece, maybe about 10 years ago. Beautiful piece of music. I should put that on my mp3 player.