Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Santana : Abraxas

Thread title immediately made me think of this :

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No, not 'prog' but 'progressive'.

Really nice album bordering on terrific, and very progressive for its time, imo.
    definitely not Symph style but yes, one of the most progressive Rock recordings of the time. Santana is the Latino equivalent of the British progressive Rock bands of the era for sure. Makes me want to skip ahead to 'S' but I'm still on Bill Nelson for a little longer. But I should dig out the LP anyway... I remember it being excellent
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Suspended
    I only have one Santana album, and that's "The Ultimate Santana", which is an excellent value mix of classic period Santana with the later crossover stuff, and I like both. Santana being Santana, there is a particular sound that seems to have always been there, and I had thought this one compilation was probably all I needed to own. Reading these comments on Abraxas, I may have to reconsider that view.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Reading these comments on Abraxas, I may have to reconsider that view.
    and then there's Caravanserai
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Caravanserai is worth having as it's own album, definitely.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I don't care for this one as much as the S/t and III...or really any of the classic early albums by Santana.

Still (mildly) enjoyable though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I had my Grandmother get me this and Court of the Crimson King for my 13th birthday. I don't know how she got passed those 2 album covers but she came through.

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    I had my Grandmother get me this and Court of the Crimson King for my 13th birthday. I don't know how she got passed those 2 album covers but she came through.
    She must have been a very nice lady. Most likely your favourite granny after this.

Loved the music on this one though I hold Caravanserai in higher esteem, but was always thought the cover was one for the ages. Top 10 prog-rock covers for me, if such think ever existed. Would love to own a wall size poster of this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I remember having this album in 1970-71 and just being hypnotized by the album art. I believe it's the same artists that did the album art for Bitches Brew.
    You are right, Mati Klarwein did many covers for Miles Davis as well as many different artists.

Not a big fan of this one, probably just burnt out on the most popular of the songs. Still, Gypsy Queen is a great little piece. What do you guys think of the song Dance Sister Dance (Amigos)? My favorite out of all of Santana's catalog.

What do you guys think of the song Dance Sister Dance (Amigos)?
    It's pretty good. It's got a nice tempo change in the middle. I remember when Amigos came out it was supposed to be Santana's "return to form." It was a return to a more commercial sound. It's not a bad album at all. It has it's moments. Still, no comparison to the first 3 albums, or even Caravanserai.

Suspended
    That Abraxas album cover really is exceptional. but then, most of Santana's covers are works of art, including "Ultimate Santana". Is it the same artist throughout? There seem to be continuing themes of spirituality; the artwork is reminiscent of what you see associated with the Hindu religion and the Hare Krishna sect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    You are right, Mati Klarwein did many covers for Miles Davis as well as many different artists.
    I have a wonderful book with almost all Klarwein's paintings, which includes a double-LP with a live-concert of Miles Davis http://www.matiklarweinart.com/artwo...Album%20Covers

In 1975 (I was 15) I was about to get my first LP. I asked for "Abraxas", but I guess the cover was too much for my parents, so they bought "Greatest Hits". Later I got my revenge and got me a big poster of the cover!
    Anyway, that greatest hits-album is still one of the most played albums I have. Later I collected a couple of other Santana-LP's and also some CD's and SACD's, although after "Zebop!" I stopped collecting them.
    At that time I was also a hugh fan of David Gilmour's sound and when I discovered Allan Holdsworth I always thought he had the perfect mix of Santana and Gilmour plus that wonderful legato-thing of his own.

Great album. No, I don't think it would typically be considered prog but I don't care I like it anyway.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Not prog (I think) - but worth discussion
    Definitely progressive -- especially for its time. These days it's hard for anyone to venture into Latin-flavored rock without at least partially treading on Santana's toes. And his -- and this album's -- imprint is all over early-mid 70s prog, especially bands like Camel and Finch (someone also mentioned Sebastian Hardie). Hell, I even wonder if Yes nicked the "Close to the Edge" melody from Carlos. But that warm organ behind soulful lead guitar sound has been the Santana trademark since day one.

In regards to later stuff I'm a sucker for the fusion albums up through about Moonflower. While many of you were in college when this came out I was just getting into high school around the time of Inner Secrets, but songs from the Amigos-Festival-Moonflower phase were still all over FM radio for years ("She's Not There" is one of the best covers ever IMO.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Suspended
    Trivium: According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Santana holds the record for longest gap between US number one albums for the same artist - 28 years between Santana (1971) and Supernatural (1999).

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I agree that it's startling how these really young guys could progress so rapidly from the street grooves of Santana I to the polished writing and playing of Abraxas. Part of the key was having pianist Albert Gianquinto participate in the sessions. He added a lot to Abraxas that the original band themselves couldn't do.
    The youth culture of that generation was miles ahead of the youth culture of today unfortunately.
    No internet, no computers, only 4 TV stations. No digital cheating, and a culture that encouraged innovation over cloning.

Definitely progressive and probably their best and most coherent.
    I like the first 4 albums a lot, but this one and the third got a bit overplayed back then, so when I spin Santana its their first with a bonus live CD (Woodstock is bliss), and Caravanserai. The third is a bit puerile, and lacks ideas (I wish they wouldnt sing). Love Doug Rauch's bassplaying on Caravanserai!
    Carlos guitarplaying got a bit tedious & samy in my ears after A love supreme (with McLaughlin), but I know, the jury will discuss this forever.

Btw - At Woodstock Santana played for: $750 !
    http://dangerousminds.net/comments/p...stock_was_paid

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    As much as I love Abraxas, I think the next one, Caravanserai, is better, arguably Santana's best album.
    There is Santana 3 stuck between those two

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I always liked Santana, but never owned any of their stuff until I decided to explor etheir catalog a year or so ago. Now I have much of their 70s work, and I enjoy it. Obvioulsy Abraxas is a seminal album that largely defines their sound. I think I might have a very slight preferance for Santana III, but to me these are both wonderful albums and stand among their best work to my ears.

I'm somewhat mixed on thier later fusion-oriented stuff. Some good moments, but I think I prefer Santana at this earlier stage where there's a stronger compositional emphasis and they're still more of a rock band. It's been fun exploring these albums that I was never that familar with back i the day.

Bill
    Both periods are quite worthy... I was aware of their first three albums by the mid-70's .... but I hadn't ventured beyond ... U ntil I discovered Caravanserai in the early 70's... I was so amazed that this album open the highway to fusion... within a few months, I'd discovered Bitches Brew and most of the descending groups (MO, WR, RTF, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Caravanserai is worth having as it's own album, definitely.
    everything from them is worth owning until Moonflower (incl) in 76, bar the weaker Festival (and maybe the uneven Welcome)

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Not a big fan of this one, probably just burnt out on the most popular of the songs. Still, Gypsy Queen is a great little piece. What do you guys think of the song Dance Sister Dance (Amigos)? My favorite out of all of Santana's catalog.
    DSD is one of three excellent songs in Amigos, but TBH, I'm not that much into the rest of the album (just like Festival and Secrets, they're very hit & miss)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    That Abraxas album cover really is exceptional. but then, most of Santana's covers are works of art, including "Ultimate Santana". Is it the same artist throughout? There seem to be continuing themes of spirituality; the artwork is reminiscent of what you see associated with the Hindu religion and the Hare Krishna sect.
    mmmmhhh!!!...
    Yeah, that's a bit the weak point of that period... all these musicians turning to Indian gurus and taking dumb nicknames

OTOH, I tend to prefer , I much prefer the jazz dudes turning to those swahili names, like Mwandishi
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great album.. still gets regular spins from me..

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking
    What do you guys think of the song Dance Sister Dance (Amigos)? My favorite out of all of Santana's catalog.
    Thanks for mentioning it - definitely one of my faves as well. The way it starts as an entertaining "dance" song and then proceeds into a cosmic jam of mammoth proportions is simply incredible - never fails to give me chills.

There is Santana 3 stuck between those two
    I know, always forget about this album, though I have it on the shelf.

It's funny. The first time I heard this album all the way through I thought there were moments that had a really heavy almost Sabbathy guitar sound then the last time I listened to it I couldn't figure out where it was. Maybe nothing was really as heavy as I first thought it was. Weird. I'll have to listen again and see if I can figure out what track initially made me think that. It wasn't from the first few songs but something probably in the early or mid section of what would be side two on the vinyl.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)