Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's got the most original members?

So it looks like Aerosmith is the winner so far. All five original members after 40 years (even if there were some gaps where it wasn't all five...). Very impressive!

I started this thread thinking that more bands should have more originals, but the more I think about it, it is damn hard with marriages, children (now grandchildren) not to mention egos, illnesses and death.

ZZ Top gets 2nd place, and Rush gets the honorable mention I think...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I never understood Love's thinking on this. I understand it is cheaper but didn't having Brian quadruple the size of the venues they could play? Weird...
    Dunno if they played larger venues or not with Brian and Al back in the band. I know that both before and after that one tour, they've played at Cain Park around the corner from my house. I'm kidna thinking about going to see them this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    U2 - ALL original members

Two bands with long histories from their SECOND albums

RUSH - 2, with one current member from the second album
    MOODY BLUES - 1, but 2 members since their second album (1967!)
    Actually if you want to be really nitpicky Alex is the only original member. Geddy was a replacement for Jeff Jones.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Actually if you want to be really nitpicky Alex is the only original member. Geddy was a replacement for Jeff Jones.
    I try to consider an original lineup the lineup that first lays down recorded music, even if its a demo, because actual recordings can be counted as a form of posterity. The reason I do this is that any early recordings of a group would count towards having a complete anthology, including demos.

Yes, Jeff Jones played bass before Geddy, but I don't think any recordings exist with him (as far as I know) so, therefore, I omit that as an actual original lineup and count the pre-recorded version of a band as "formation stages"
    Of course, your mileage may vary

Mötley, all 4 original members.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Original members should really be when the band gels. For Crimson, first album and one member. For Genesis, Nursery Cryme, so three members. I'm also interested in when bands that only have a few originals produce gems. Hittin' The Note (Allman Brothers), for example, is on par with their early music.

How many are left in Hawkwind.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    How many are left in Hawkwind.
    One

Status Quo still have two. In fact they also reformed their original line-up (minus keyboard player Roy Lynes who wasn't in the band that long) for a few tours fairly recently.

Am I right in saying the Welsh band Man no longer have any original members at all? Martin Ace and Phil Ryan seem to be in the current band and were certainly members in the 70s, but neither were on their 60s albums.

Did anyone mention The Monkees
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    So it looks like Aerosmith is the winner so far. All five original members after 40 years (even if there were some gaps where it wasn't all five...). Very impressive!

ZZ Top gets 2nd place, and Rush gets the honorable mention I think...
    ZZ Top's first album 1971
    Aerosmith's first album 1973

First Golden Earring album with the current line-up and with the current name 1971. Before that the group carried the name Golden Earrings.
    And all four members stayed.

Black Sabbath - 3 out of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    ZZ Top's first album 1971
    Aerosmith's first album 1973
    Yeah, but I would imagine it's harder to keep 5 members in place, than just 3.

Well, Chicago has four guys which is pretty good- the horns and Robert Lamm. Even though they have lost a lot of guys they were such a big band to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    First Golden Earring album with the current line-up and with the current name 1971. Before that the group carried the name Golden Earrings.
    And all four members stayed.
    didn't their drummer Cesar took a long break during the 80's & 90's?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Yeah, but I would imagine it's harder to keep 5 members in place, than just 3.
    Sure.

I don't seem to recall there being a stipulation on the number of people in a band. Only who has had all original members for the longest.

Kraan - 3 of the original 4.

They proclaimed last year that they disbanded - but they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Sure.

I don't seem to recall there being a stipulation on the number of people in a band. Only who has had all original members for the longest.
    That does it... Let's rumble.

By definition then all solo acts have the most original members. Like, James Taylor. He's still in it.

Suspended
    B B King still has all his original members.

Wonder why the Stones assed out Bill Wyman? Last I read somewhere he sells metal detectors for treasure hunting... Coins and stuff.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

But I guess in recent years, Brian Downey's returned to the group, and of course, they're now not calling themselves Thin Lizzy anymore.
    The band is now Black Star Riders and Downey is no longer with them. BSR are excellent by the way. Saw them last summer and they were great. Their debut album kicked ass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    By definition then all solo acts have the most original members. Like, James Taylor. He's still in it.
    Yeah, but he's a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Wonder why the Stones assed out Bill Wyman? Last I read somewhere he sells metal detectors for treasure hunting... Coins and stuff.
    I dont' know what "assed out" means, but as i understand Bill opted out after the 89 tour, because he "wasn't feeling it anymore".