Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2015

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar

Record Store Day 2015

Some of the goodies on this year's list so far...

Jeff Beck - "Hi Ho Silver Lining" / "Beck's Bolero (red 7-inch, 1750 copies)
    Jeff Beck - "Love Is Blue" / "I've Been Drinking (blue 7-inch, 2000 copies)
    Jeff Beck - "Tallyman" / "Rock My Plimsoul" (gold 7-inch, 1750 copies)
    Blue Oyster Cult - Bad Channels OST (LP)
    David Bowie - "Changes" (7-inch)
    David Bowie/Tom Verlaine - "Kingdom Come" (Side By Side 7-inch)
    Goblin - Chi? (7-inch)
    Hawkwind - Back On The Streets/The Dream of Isis White (7-inch)
    Hawkwind - Live Seventy Nine (LP, 1000 copies)
    Heldon - Live In Paris 1975 (LP, 1000 copies)
    Mastodon - "Atlanta" ft. Gibby Haynes from Butthole Surfers (pictured disc)
    Brian May - The Day After Halloween OST (LP)
    Brian May - Patrick OST (LP)
    Brian May - Thirst OST (LP)
    Paul McCartney - The Family Way: Original Soundtrack Recording (LP)
    Metallica - No Life 'til Leather (cassette)
    Robert Plant - More Roar EP (10-inch, 10000 copies)
    Tears for Fears - "Shout" / "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (12-inch)
    Frank Zappa - "200 Motels" (7-inch)

More at http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/reco..._of_exclusives
    Chad

The list as it exists right now is unofficial and supposedly there are lots more things to be announced. Which is good, because as of right now there is nothing that I want to enough to get up early for. I'd like the Heldon album, but I'm pretty sure that it will still be there at noon.

Looks like the Heldon vinyl (Live in Paris 75 & Live In Paris 76) are just the "Live Electronik Guerilla: Paris 1975-1976" previously on CD on Captain Trip. That's my assumption.

Bob

as far as Im aware--we have been told we cannot announce yet. they create embargos around announcing.

checking back we have been told 10th March. --Looking at that list we certainly have several things not on it.

A single of '200 Motels'...one hopes the CD gets another reissue, it's the only album out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A single of '200 Motels'...one hopes the CD gets another reissue, it's the only album out of print.
    I'm curious what that is; there is no individual track with that title.

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    Looks like the Heldon vinyl (Live in Paris 75 & Live In Paris 76) are just the "Live Electronik Guerilla: Paris 1975-1976" previously on CD on Captain Trip. That's my assumption.

Bob
    I'm pretty sure you are correct.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Nothing for me yet...which I suppose is a good thing.

FUCK Record Store day!

I really hope that someone will put an end to this pathetic joke.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    FUCK Record Store day!

So, how many record stores will you be hitting up? What items are you most looking forward to?

FUCK Record Store day!

If you don't have anything nice to say....

FUCK Record Store day!

I can understand some cynicism with respect to RSD. Stupid stunts like what Built To Spill (a band I really like a few albums from) is doing this year (their RSD thing is simply having 500 colored vinyl discs interspersed at random with the regular product to coincide with the release of their new album on RSD this year) taps directly into the worst aspects of the day, IMO.

However, what, in general, is wrong with issuing some limited quantity stuff to spur interest in local independent record stores? Nothing, IMO, as long as everybody involved with the event behaves and doesn't violate the rules (like holding product back for regular customers, or employees taking some for themselves to sell on E-bay, etc.).

Most of the complaints I've heard (not saying on this forum necessarily, but in general) are from people who really want certain things, but resent the day for requiring them to expend effort to obtain them beyond clicking a button on the internet or showing up at noon.

My complaint as a label is that I have people and label fans who are loyal and I know would love some of the things we have done but won't stand a hope in hell at the regular price because we can't sell direct because of the conditions attached to RSD and yet live nowhere near any store that will stock the odd copy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just have no idea how it works - does every record store have all the items? Is each specific item only at one store? How the heck does it work?

That said, I have no use for vinyl, but aren't some items CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    My complaint as a label is that I have people and label fans who are loyal and I know would love some of the things we have done but won't stand a hope in hell at the regular price because we can't sell direct because of the conditions attached to RSD and yet live nowhere near any store that will stock the odd copy.
    Living in the middle of nowhere has its negatives. I guess this is one of them. Whatever the difference is between the sticker price and what they'd have to pay on E-bay is far, far less than the difference that people who live in large metropolitan areas pay for rent/mortage, so I can't say I have a ton of sympathy.

Also, my experience is that 90% of the RSD product becomes easily available on Ebay and elsewhere at no more than 10-15% above the RSD prices if you wait a few months after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

Most of the complaints I've heard (not saying on this forum necessarily, but in general) are from people who really want certain things, but resent the day for requiring them to expend effort to obtain them beyond clicking a button on the internet or showing up at noon.
    Showing up is half the fun, provided it's something I HAVE to have, which really hasn't happened for me lately.

I'm sure the King Crimsons will still be around when I stop off during the that week after work since they aren't exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just have no idea how it works - does every record store have all the items? Is each specific item only at one store? How the heck does it work?

Only participating stores get RSD product. Stores can request things, but they may not get all that they asked for. Certain items won't go to a particular store above a certain amount (say, 5 or 10).
    Very few CDs come out on RSD and virtually none of them are considered collectible. If anything, it works the other way around: a particular release will come out on RSD in limited quantity vinyl, and then a "regular" release of the same item will happen in a month or two on CD (this is for full-length releases; the many vinyl singles that get released on RSD are treated more or less as vinyl collectibles and would not get corresponding CD releases).
    Basically, if what you want are CDs, you don't really need to bother with RSD. Just make note of what was released on that day by a band you like and, often, it will get a regular release later in the year on the CD format. Then again, it might not.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Showing up is half the fun, provided it's something I HAVE to have, which really hasn't happened for me lately.

I'm sure the King Crimsons will still be around when I stop off during the that week after work since they aren't exclusives.
    I like it too. I like talking to the people in line and making new acquaintances. There have never been any altercation issues at any of the locations I've been to on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

No use for vinyl?
    Why are you on this thread?

It's nice to see a movement back to vinyl. It's better. If you don't think so.. then stay in the digital world.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    No use for vinyl?

It's nice to see a movement back to vinyl. It's better. If you don't think so.. then stay in the digital world.
    I think he legitimately didn't know how RSD works. "Record Store" - in the US, anyway - is a general term for a place that sells music. Back in the early days of RSD, I used to ask about CDs, too.

Why is it vinyl only? You'd think they'd want the few remaining shops to get all support possible? Do the stores sell only vinyl? If so a store like Downtown Music Gallery would be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    No use for vinyl?

Go drink a bottle of Discwasher Cleaning Fluid!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The only problem with vinyl is that it is a relative fragile medium, and that it degrades over time.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The only problem with vinyl is that it is a relative fragile medium, and that it degrades over time.
    So do we.

And I know that nobody related to me is going to care about 95% of my stuff when I'm dead.

The whole degradation and fragility thing used to bother me, but now it's like - if I treat the vinyl with a decent amount of care, what realistically will happen to it in the next 20-40 years I've got left? Nothing bad enough to turn me off the format.