Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2015

looking to pick up

● Typhoon - "Prosthetic Love (Piano Version)" (7-inch)

I dunno, I've got classical rekkids pressed in the late 50s and early 60s that sound fantastic. Then again I've got vinyl pressed much more recently that sounds pretty lousy.

Tape has always been the worst medium AFAIC. So so so many problems with it.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    So, how many record stores will you be hitting up?
    I'm hunting at record stores at least twice per week. 11 months per year. And at one point in life I co-worked in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What items are you most looking forward to?
    Nothing specific that I can't find on a regular purchase day. And the real (and no artificial) rarities I'm after will NEVER appear at a RSD.

Oh shit, I forgot! From this year's Record Store Day, I want that Metallica cassette of their first demo! To play it on my non-existent tape deck!

It's the whole concept of RSD that is laughable and has nothing to do with music or the spirit of community one can feel in some record stores. It's all about collective hipsterism, greedy business and eBay $$$$$$$$$$$.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-08-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

6 LP Live Phish 12/95 is officially coming out.

Waiting for the list to be published on Tuesday.

I read a recent study that vinyl is actually the best material for archiving sound over the long term. Better than magnetic tape, better than the thin plastic CD discs. Digital destroys much of the quality upon first transfer. Obviously after that, it can stay intact.

Digital isn't really storing music, it's a sampled representation. Similar to a digital photo of a great painting. It's recognizable, but lacks the finer qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I read a recent study that vinyl is actually the best material for archiving sound over the long term.
    I'm guessing you read this on the Internet. The problem with the Internet is that although the letters and characters look, for all intents and purposes like real letters, examine them closely and they reveal themselves to be merely pixels clustered together to 'look like' letters.
    On top of this, it's likely the 'author' of the study ran the article through a 'spell check', thus rendering it sterile and soulless.
    Back in the 70s we had to learn to spell words for ourselves and it saddens me to say that this gave them a greater meaning and resonance.
    Read these articles online if you must, I hope you enjoy them. Me? I think I'll stick to actual printed books.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 03-09-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I read a recent study that vinyl is actually the best material for archiving sound over the long term. Better than magnetic tape, better than the thin plastic CD discs. Digital destroys much of the quality upon first transfer.

LOL!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I'm guessing you read this on the Internet. The problem with the Internet is that although the letters and characters look, for all intents and purposes like real letters, examine them closely and they reveal themselves to be merely pixels clustered together to 'look like' letters.
    On top of this, it's likely the 'author' of the study ran the article through a 'spell check', thus rendering it sterile and soulless.
    Back in the 70s we had to learn to spell words for ourselves and it saddens me to say that this gave them a greater meaning and resonance.
    Read these articles online if you must, I hope you enjoy them. Me? I think I'll stick to actual printed books.
    Chad

I picked up some sealed vinyl records from the 1950's and played a few of them and they sound amazing.
    I have had CD's from the 1990's that have already deteriorated to the point of useless. I have had hard drives go bad after 3 years. Magnetic tape is obviously very fragile, but I do have some tape from the 60's that still sounds good. I have no doubt that a well kept vinyl record can last a very long time.

Digital supporters side with that view because that is either all they know and read... or they threw all their vinyl away years ago and can't stand to admit they make a horrible mistake. Which one are you?

Without getting into the digital vs analog argument, my vinyl collection is much safer than my CD collection.
    I don't have to worry about the files being corrupted or being deleted either. Probably easier to steal an iphone than stacks of records that weigh more than a small elephant.

Vinyl, CDs and WAVs all fine as long as the tunes are good.

Fortunately, for me at least, there's plenty of wonderful music available on one or all of the three.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 03-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.

I used to have to walk 10 miles to school as well. And feet hadn't been invented yet; I did it on stumps!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Once feet were invented it wasn't really walking. People could just open their doors and walk anywhere within a 20 mile radius.

Call it walking if you want but I do pity you. Anyone who has seen footage of the original 'stump walkers' will attest that the twenty meters or so they managed on those bloody stumps was art.
    Stump walking required practice, commitment and vision.

Nowadays anyone can just get from A to B with no imagination or talent.

And don't fucking start me on bicycles.

I don't want to brag, mind you, but I before I had legs, I would slither.

Ha! You poor fools with what you laughingly refer to as 'bodies'; REAL MEN don't need anything more than a single cell!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Gratefull p.s. to Kavus.

Thanks for making me smile on a day I didn't have much to smile about.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Vinyl, CDs and WAVs all fine as long as the tunes are good.
    As long as there is no concern for quality... makes sense.

I so want to start a band called Stumpwalkers now....

and the first album (are we still allowed to call 'em that?) will be called 'And Dont Fucking Start Me on Bicycles'

Genious KT

Procul Harum Homburg Cherry Red 7" 700

This drives me fucking nuts. After all this time, they still can't spell the band's name right.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Besides the Typhoon, I also would be up for:
    - The Decemberists - Picaresque,
    - sElf - "Now?" and maybe
    -Tomorrow - S/T reissue. I'm assuming this is the Tomorrow which featured a young Steve Howe.

Record Stores? what are those?

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    -Tomorrow - S/T reissue. I'm assuming this is the Tomorrow which featured a young Steve Howe.
    Yes, on colored vinyl. This is one I'll probably pick up if I spot it.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Worth it just for "Revolution" and "My White Bicycle" alone. Even Zappa was a fan and selected "My White Bicycle" as part of a radio show he put together in 1980. here's an excerpt of the transcript:

Well, a lot of you fetishists out there probably wouldn't recognise it because its being played backwards, but that was Steve Howe on guitar on that particular, er, in that particular group. And the song that used to be the B-side of that, erm, cut, when it was a single, was a tune called "Claremount Lake". Remember that? That had some even more interesting guitar formalities on it.

More here (scroll down to the middle).
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 03-11-2015 at 05:50 AM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Procul Harum Homburg Cherry Red 7" 700

This drives me fucking nuts. After all this time, they still can't spell the band's name right.
    certainly didnt go like that on our sales note to RSD--Ive sent someone a rather "snotty" email to change it!!!!

Good for you Vicky!

I have NEVER bought a RSD vinyl release, not into that. But I AM there for the swag, especially the CD compilations. Then I go back to the store and buy the stuff I liked from the comps. IF they have it.