Thread: King Crimson and Record Store Day 2015

King Crimson and Record Store Day 2015

From http://dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5069

Previously only available as part of the KCCC mail order series, three titles are being reissued for general retail to tie in with the forthcoming Record Store Day on April 18th.

Available for a limited period of time only these albums represent some of the most exciting and interesting dates in the Crimson calendar. Please note there's no extra material on these new editions so if you already have these as KCCC releases you don't need to buy 'em!

On July 5th, 1969, King Crimson played to upwards of 500,000 people on a bill topped by The Rolling Stones in Hyde Park, London. It was a pivotal point for the band. The next evening, King Crimson played their regular club date - a crammed Marquee Club in the same city. Recorded by an audience member, the original tape of the concert found its way to Robert Fripp & DGM many years later. Extensive audio restoration was applied & though it’s still never going to be a ‘hi-fi’ experience, as one of the earliest live recordings of the band, it has been a consistent seller for DGM for many years. Pre-dating the release of “In The Court Of The Crimson King” by more than three months & showcasing material from that album, the tape captures the raw power that had already made Crimson London’s hottest new band. Also included is the only known recording/performance of ‘Trees’ from October 1969. While the audio quality of this recording is poor & no amount of restoration can improve upon that, its rarity earned it a place as a bonus track.

One of the more pleasing outcomes of the ongoing King Crimson 40th anniversary releases was the reception & re-evaluation that was afforded to 1971’s “Islands” album. Long over-shadowed by the live reputation of the 1969 line-up that preceded it & the 72/74 line-ups that followed, the band had, up to that point, been under-appreciated. This soundboard recording, discovered in the DGM archive in 2012, confirms that the 1971 band could match any King Crimson line-up before or since for a quality live show. In the middle of the recording sessions for the “Islands” album, the band returned to the legendary Marquee Club for two special concerts (quickly extended to a third night). Taken from the second night, this recording captures a relaxed performance featuring material from all three of King Crimson’s released albums & early live recordings of much of the “Islands” material. This is the only line-up in King Crimson’s long history that has, to date, performed material from the first four studio albums. It’s a key recording in the King Crimson catalogue of live releases.

The reputation of the 1972/74 King Crimson line-ups comes from shows such as this soundboard recording of the band. Having formed in July of 1972, the band played three nights at the Zoom Club in Frankfurt & recorded a TV performance for Beat Club Germany in October prior to embarking on a full UK tour. This was the fourth concert of that tour & features material from the album that would become “Larks’ Tongues in Aspic” when recorded the following January, alongside one of the band’s fiercest (& longest) improvs. This is the best known concert recording of the short-lived, legendary, quintet line-up.

My question is: does this make any sense? Is in 2015 meaningful to release three already released live recordings when the DGMlive website made them available for download for years (i.e. http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?&show=240)? Will this make one people more going to a (independent, of course) record store?

My only answer is "yes, if the releases are on vinyl". But I don't think these will be, right?
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

Quote Originally Posted by MarKco View Post
    Will this make one people more going to a (independent, of course) record store?

My only answer is "yes, if the releases are on vinyl". But I don't think these will be, right?
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with vinyl, record stores or record store day. They've done this with select handfuls of KCCC releases before. I always thought it's just a matter of putting some of the better selections out there through another outlet, one whose customers could be interested but maybe hadn't searched far enough to find DGM.

I think all the previous Record Store Day releases have been vinyl, but I'm not certain of that.

I'm not sure either. Let's ask Sid!

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Yes Record Store Day releases are always vinyl I believe, that's the whole point as it's about making people visit their independent stores for those rare releases, and making a unique collectable item for years to come. I would rather like to have each of these on vinyl, I wonder how easy to get they will be?

Edit - Apparently it can be either vinyl or CD, which still makes these sets available for those who missed out originally I guess. Would be good to know what format these will be though.

I askes Sid Smith on twitter, maybe he knows. But... anyway, being reissues of old material and not "Record Store Day releases", I bet they'll be on CD as usual.

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

From DGM guestbook:

Record Store Day
    :: Posted by snkzato1 on March 06, 2015

I assume that the record store day releases are CD only?

I need to verify how hyped I need to get for this
    CD only.
    Sid

I can see that Dgm changed the text of the news adding the "it's only CD" disclaimer.

Sorry vinyl lovers folks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Record Store Day is confusing and a pain in the ass.

Preordered the Marquee 1969. How's the sound quality? I have NOTHING live from this KC era.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    From DGM guestbook:

Record Store Day
    :: Posted by snkzato1 on March 06, 2015

I assume that the record store day releases are CD only?

I need to verify how hyped I need to get for this
    CD only.
    Sid

Looks like there's something for me on Record Store Day after all. I don't see that there's going to be such a demand for these that I'll need to queue early, however.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Preordered the Marquee 1969. How's the sound quality?
    Probably as decent as you could expect from a late-60s audience boot (i.e., not very). DGM has some samples.

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=69

The KC CDs are also sold over Burning Shed, so maybe you don't have to queue ....

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Preordered the Marquee 1969. How's the sound quality? I have NOTHING live from this KC era.
    I can't say yours was a great idea. It's a powerful performance but the sound quality is very very poor. Why don't you try Epitaph instead? It collects the best available sources from 1969.

http://www.amazon.com/Epitaph-King-C.../dp/B000005OO0

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

I wouldn't characterize Marquee '69 as very, very poor. It's listenable, and you can hear what each instrument is doing. Epitaph, however, is superior.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The Epitaph box came out as two double-disc sets at a reasonable price (as did The Great Deceiver). There's some very well recorded BBC sessions on Epitaph and the Fillmore gig is tremendous.

There was also the disclaimer that if you have these as prior KCCC releases, there's nothing for you here.