Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VDGG - Godbluff

VDGG - Godbluff

I've been in a huge VDGG phase lately, and just listened to what I think is their ultimate release (probably too loud for the neighbours' liking). I find this album utterly enthralling from the opening flute of "The Undercover Man" through to the closing strains of "The Sleepwalkers". I'm honestly glued to every second of it, and no matter how many times (hundreds?) I've heard it over the years, it's just one of those albums that continues to reveal more to me with every listen. I agree with Guy Evans when he says it's their most 'live-sounding' album. Every member is firing on all cylinders here... Jackson and Evans possibly never better... Banton's organ, bass, and pedals as only he ever played them... Hammill, in his usual tour-de-force vocal delivery, running the gamut between angelic and shrieking lunatic - making no attempt to make his double-tracked vocals line up, each take so obviously distinct that no two could ever match anyway.

As much as I love "Pilgrims" and "La Rossa", I think they did the right thing leaving those off and saving them for the next album. This one is perfect exactly as is, and I can't imagine it any other way. I love every VDGG album, but this one rises above them all - yes, even Pawn Hearts - as their crowning achievement IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My fave VdGG/PH release and possibly my fave rock album in general. Flawless masterpiece.

I find everything they did from 'The Least We Can Do' through to and including 'Still Life' to be 5-star worthy. Granted, there was a four year gap (although Hammill's solo albums in that interim period, mostly have all the VDGG members on them, maintain that standard), but what a run.

Every track on here is a classic. I find myself particularly fond of 'Arrow', with that great groove on the intro and one of Hammill's most ferocious vocal performances, and there's that thrilling ensemble stuff in 'Scorched Earth'. But the whole album flows perfectly.

'Godbluff' has endured well, on 'Real Time' they did almost the entire album. And we also have the remarkable luxury of having archive footage of the entire album played live- bless those European TV companies who kept all this marvellous footage.

Godbluff is the best “comeback” album (that I know of anyway); it’s arguably their best and most consistent effort. Sleepwalkers alone justifies the entrance fee.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

The first VDGG album I ever owned. I fished it out of the used bins at Wax Stax way back in 90 or 91, something like that. I bought it because a friend of mine told me VDGG were awesome. The funny thing was, having never heard anything by them, I think I spent 2 hours in the store that day debating whether or not to buy it.

donal123
    good idea..!!!

As much as I love Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life are my fave VdGG.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

LOVE IT, together with Still Life my two favourite VDGG albums.

I finally bought it a couple years ago after reading nothing but gushing, drooling reviews for many, many years. It's damn good, but I'd rank it behind Pawn Hearts. But yeah, it's a hell of a prog/rock album.

There are many albums that I love, adore, cherish. Many masterpiece albums.

This is one of two perfect albums I own.

Progatron's post echoes many of my own sentiments as well as, apparently, quite a few members of this board and at least one member of the band.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I love Godbluff but Still Life is my favorite. Everything about Godbluff is great through and through but it doesn't reach the heights of Childlike Faith, so I have Still Life rated slightly higher.

Best comeback album? I'm more partial to Camel so Dust and Dreams edges out Godbluff (and IQ's Ever).

I honestly feel sorry for the people who can't get past pH 's vocals because they will never get to experience the brilliance of this masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Best comeback album? I'm more partial to Camel so Dust and Dreams edges out Godbluff (and IQ's Ever).
    Come to think of it, Thinking Plague's In Extremis is another contender.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I find everything they did from 'The Least We Can Do' through to and including 'Still Life' to be 5-star worthy.
    I almost agree. I can do without "My Room", but otherwise I'm with you here. I would also toss World Record in that run of albums if it wasn't for the second half of "Meurglys III".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I almost agree. I can do without "My Room", but otherwise I'm with you here. I would also toss World Record in that run of albums if it wasn't for the second half of "Meurglys III".
    I'd like to be able to view the three as some kinda trilogy of sorts, but the fact is that I find World Record a significantly weaker record than the other two. It simply lacks the overall feel of existential intensity that so bestowes Gb and SL, and the songwriting is far less inspired.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm good with the second half of M3 (although I get why it doesn't cut it for many). For me, the one tune that was always 'meh' for me is Wondering. Part of why HB's stuff holds up gloriously well today is because he never got into being a mega-prog "keyboardist" but the rare use of synths and the way they're used on this track trap it in 1976, IMO, and make it dated in a way that tunes like A Place To Survive, Pilgrims, Arrow, etc, are not.

I don't hate the actual song, though, and love the WR album as a whole.

Back on topic, did I mention that Godbluff was the best album ever...

Godbluff is definitely my overall favorite VDGG album. I particularly like Scorched Earth, but the whole album is top notch in my book. Consistently awesome from start to finish. Haven't spun this one in ages, I'll rectify that tonight!

Bill

Love it, especially Scorched Earth.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

A good effort, I rank it fourth after The Least We Can Do..., H to He..., and the surpassingly olympian Pawn Hearts.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd like to be able to view the three as some kinda trilogy of sorts, but the fact is that I find World Record a significantly weaker record than the other two. It simply lacks the overall feel of existential intensity that so bestowes Gb and SL, and the songwriting is far less inspired.
    Compared to its excellent predecessors, World Record can’t help but disappoint. The four piece lineup simply had run its course. Just pretend it’s a grab-bag of leftovers from Still Life and salvage the good bits: Edit Meurglys III and keep the first third (the actual song before it slips into that truly offensive faux-reggae coma), maybe trim A Place to Survive and add Wondering and you’ve got yourself a pretty decent EP.

My 2nd fave VDGG after 'H To He.' If it weren't for the circus /calliope interlude in "Sleepwalkers," I'd agree that it's a flawless album. Yet, the rest of that song is so great, it still might be the best track on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My 2nd fave VDGG after 'H To He.' If it weren't for the circus /calliope interlude in "Sleepwalkers," I'd agree that it's a flawless album. Yet, the rest of that song is so great, it still might be the best track on the album.
    Hm. I think that part makes for one of the greatest points of contrast (with the following variation on the riff) on the whole album, so I'd definitely not want to extract it in any way.

Great album! I always prefer to watch the live DVD of it over listening to it on CD.

I was huge on VdGG about 15 years ago but I rarely listen to them anymore...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    maybe trim A Place to Survive and add Wondering and you’ve got yourself a pretty decent EP.
    I would add When She Comes as well to that EP. Masks it not bad either, but not at the same level as anything on Still Life of Godbluff. Anyway, even the weakest VdGG album is possibly still better than most other bands best albums...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Great album, Undercover Man and Arrow in particular.