Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Genesis Cover

Awesome Genesis Cover

Some of you might have heard of Tiger Moth Tales. The album Cocoon is quite something.
    The main man himself, Pete Jones, is quite the Genesis fan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice voice.

Jeez, his voice fits this songs so much better than Phil's! More natural.

What's the Cocoon CD like?
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

A beautiful cover version to a beautiful song. I never understood the hate for More Fool Me. It really is a great song (i can relate to what Phil's character is going through, loving someone knowing they really don't love you back, but saying whatever, I'm just a fool) and a nice breather between Firth of Fifth and BOEF on the CD version of SEBTP. I can understand it is sort of anticlimactic as a close out to side 1 on the vinyl version,

People hate More Fool Me?

Get me phone numbers, these people need a stern talking-to.

This guy should have sang on Genesis Revisited II

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Jeez, his voice fits this songs so much better than Phil's! More natural.

What's the Cocoon CD like?
    Just buy de Coccon CD (Tiger Moth Tales) without gesitation. IMO is one of the best debut records I've heard in decades. Pete Jones has a great voice, very good composer, multi instrumentalist ( a la Steve Unruh). Really enjoying this record and for me Tiger Moth Tales be on my top 10 list by the end 0f 2015.

Wow!!! Fantabulous!

Ok, I'll try it

I agree with Jimmy Giant. Phil's voice is too high on this song. If PC sang it lower it would have sounded better imo. Still it's not a bad song. It's just folk instead of prog.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Beautiful
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

This is better than the original! He's got a great voice and I love his guitar playing technique.

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    The only thing that kept "Cocoon" off of many people's Best of 2014 List was that it was just released on December 15th. There was originally no intent of releasing this at all - it was a personal project. Thank God those that listened to it at first helped change his mind. Will be on my Best of 2015 List for sure.

BTW, Peter was just invited to open for Magenta for two shows in London (27 Jun) and Wolverhampton (28 Jun). His star is rising fast, at least in the Prog World (he's been a professional pop musician for years).

Lastly, Peter is one hell of a regular, nice guy; impossible not to wish him well.

If anyone's interested:

- Here's the link for his explanation of the tracks on "Cocoon": https://soundcloud.com/tiger-moth-tales

- And here's the Bandcamp site to buy the download: https://tigermothtales.bandcamp.com/releases
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post

Get me phone numbers, these people need a stern talking-to.
    No kidding Phil's version is great, killer Genesis song... wish The Musical Box still did it... no Martin no MFM!

Quote Originally Posted by mpoll View Post
    “Joining a monastery? King Crimson does that to people.” - Robert Fripp
    Nice quote about Jamie :-) When/where did Robert state that?

Thank you
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Only the Genesis version. This was actually interesting.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

"Want to discuss the merits of More Fool Me? Call 0800-EAT-SHIT!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    This is better than the original! He's got a great voice and I love his guitar playing technique.
    oh yea!

CD ordered, FLAC downloaded.

Hi folks. Pete Jones here, principal tiger moth at your service. Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the lovely comments on the vid. I love Genesis from all eras and I won't hear a word said against Phill. Well, I will hear them and do all the time, but I don't have to like it. MFM is one of the many great songs on SEBTP and a fondly remembered track from my childhood. When we got together to shoot some vids we were tempted to go for a longer track, but we thought this one would be a good one and possibly spread across the board. I'm glad folks are enjoying it and it was great fun to do. Also thanks to my good friend the poster of this vid. Lastly but by no means leastly, huge thanks to those who have bought or are thinking of buying Cocoon. I hope you enjoy it and thanks for the support it means a lot. Maybe I'll see some of you at the Magenta gigs.

I don’t exactly hate the original version, it’s just a bit bland. This version has much more soul. Very well done! Chapeau!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I love SEBTP it is in my top 5 prog albums and love More Fool Me---and this guys version is great! Funny I always thought this was the first sign of the more accessible Genesis. Simple love song with chorus and verse. With Phil singing it was a sign of things to come--but who knew it!

BTW--I had always hoped that Hackett would have found a great voice like this to record and tour with---all his albums where Steve sings could have been greatly improved with a singer of this quality.
    Last edited by 2steves; 03-06-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Great version.. thanks for posting link..

Quote Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
    huge thanks to those who have bought or are thinking of buying Cocoon
    My pleasure! Cocoon is such a great album, brimful of heart-warming memories of childhood. So glad you published it - thank you so much!
    Every proghead with a soft spot for Genesis should buy Cocoon!