Thread: Charlie?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Charlie?

Perusing the new used arrivals at one of our wonderful record stores (Turn It Up!) in beautiful downtown Northampton (MA), stumbled upon a Renaissance reissue of "Charlie", (s/t), by a line-up including the late Steve Gadd on drums and much to my surprise, Julian Colbeck (known to me via collaborations with Hackett) on keys. I campled the disc but returned it to the stacks...prog it ain't and a bit too saccherine for these ears. I know they must have some love here, yes?

In reading more about the band, I loved an interview with Julian Colbeck in which he reported having a "cathartic" moment on stage in '96 with Hackett, John Wetton, Chester Thompson (must have been the Hackett Tokyo tapes shows), wherein he realizes he's onstage with a bunch of men of a certain age, himself included, realizes "rock is a young man's game" and vows never to perform live again.

I love Charlie and have most of their recorded output, Rick.

Different Steve Gadd, not the session genius. Same Colbeck tho'.

They are massively under-appreciated & unknown. Best album is No Second Chance followed by Fight Dirty.

One of those (perhaps, tho I don't think so) guilty pleasures that still gets some listens around here. Top-level harmonies and great Brit Pop-Rock songwriting & they were amazing live.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Terry Thomas, Lead vocals & guitar

John Anderson, Backing vocals & bass

Steve Gadd, Drums (not the American session drummer of the same name)
    Martin Smith, Backing vocals & guitar

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    They are massively under-appreciated & unknown. Best album is No Second Chance followed by Fight Dirty.
    I like all four of their initial albums. Didn't care much for Kitchens of Distinction. Seemed like a total departure from their 70s sound.

Have Charlie records downstairs... Sexy covers, have never played them. Now is the time then.

Dave in mA cracks me up.
    Still alive and well...

The only song I’ve ever heard was their hit, “It’s Inevitable,” which got heavy rotation on MTV back in the day:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I like all four of their initial albums. Didn't care much for Kitchens of Distinction. Seemed like a total departure from their 70s sound.
    Agreed! Kitchens excited the hell out of me when I first heard about its release, but it was a huge disappointment to me as well.

I just looked (couldn't remember), and I have Fantasy Girls, No Second Chance, Lines, Fight Dirty, Good Morning America, s/t and the aforementioned Kitchens.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I had 'No Second Chance' and 'Lines' back in the late 70s or thereabouts. Good albums, with a very 'late 70s' sound. I was always surprised that they never really broke through.

I was gonna ask if we're talking about the guys who did It's Inevitable, but I see that song's already been mentioned. That's the only song I've ever heard by them as well.

And while reading the Wikipedia page, I find that the Steve Gadd from Charlie is the same Steve Gadd who served as Nicko McBrain's drum tech with Iron Maiden. Nicko tells a great story on one of the DVD's but how they were playing an outdoor show in Southern California, and it was so hot that in the middle of Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (where he has nothing to do), Nicko decides he's going to jump in the backstage swimming pool to cool off, and Gaddsy (as Nicko calls him) had to drag him back onstage when it was about time for him to come back in. He said he sat down on the throne and started doing the hi-hat bit, then found that his feet were so slippery that he yells, "GADDSY! GET ME A FUCKING TOWEL!", and Gaddsy had to run in and towel of Nicko's feet. There's a little fill that Nicko does that was supposed to cue the rest of the band into the next section, and apparently on this particular night, the rest of the band was hung up a little longer than usual, waiting for that fill, because he was still toweling off. Yeah, I know that has nothign to do with Charlie, but I just think it's an amusing story.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-06-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The only song I’ve ever heard was their hit, “It’s Inevitable,” which got heavy rotation on MTV back in the day:
    Charlie had 3 or 4 "KSHE Klassics", so we got to hear them occasionally in St. Louis. Mostly She Loves to be in Love, Fantasy Girls and Killer Cut.

Chan? Chaplin? Drake? Sheen?

je suis charlie.

Moi aussi!

Don't surf

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Chan? Chaplin? Drake? Sheen?

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    je suis charlie.
    I just received issue 2.3 in my mailbox (yes I subscribed)... savoury humour
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

'Watching TV' off 'Lines' is a great track.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    'Watching TV' off 'Lines' is a great track.
    Completely agree, but almost everyone under 40 wouldn't know the shows they're singing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Surprised I never heard or saw this; I was quite an avid MTV watcher back then... Good 80s tune though. Would've been fun to have been in that video...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Completely agree, but almost everyone under 40 wouldn't know the shows they're singing about.
    Yeah, thats the truth. But then a lot of kids under 20 don't even watch tv these days. They are too busy with computer games and texting.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm Charlie.
    Take heart. Your "Family" hasn't forgotten you.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Wots...uh...the Deal with those boots?