Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gentle Giant- I Lost My Head (The Chrysalis Years 75-80)

A friend of mine took Missing Piece through Pro Tools and made me a copy. That helped a lot. Especially the bass end needs to be lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Missing Piece is a pretty awful sounding album no matter what. Apparently it was mixed on defective monitors...
    I had me a Chrysalis vinyl, and I heard the sound I like - harsh overloaded treble, well balanced bass, colourful midrange.

They're actually re-releasing Civilian on CD in April, though it's only available as an import in the US. I hope Ken at Laser's Edge picks it up.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I lost my head is the worst tune of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    I lost my head is the worst tune of the lot.
    Couldn't disagree more; I think it's one of the greatest things they ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

But - they did so many other great tunes !
    The level was so high, which made the dissapointment so much bigger with the last albums.

Those who likes the last 2 albums are right, there were a lot worse crap out there at the time, but that doesnt count in my ears.
    But my loss - the more you like the more pleasures.

Another bit of support for the magnificence of I Lost My Head - love both parts of the song, and how even though they seem incongruous to be sitting next to one another they somehow create such a satisfying whole (to my ears) - my only disappointment when listening as a teenager was that I wanted that final repeating riff to go on for another minute at least! It all totally made my heart race with happiness back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    +1 One of my favorite riffs ever. The harmonic thing happening between the keys and guitar is amazing. The main clavichord riff of the end section is one of my favorite exercises!

I agree with the general consensus about the last three albums. Half of The Missing Piece is very good, Giant For A Day is the worst album they did, and Civilian is actually quite good, just not in their earlier style. I managed to find a mint CD copy of that one on Discogs, with the bonus track.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just chiming in to concur that "I Lost My Head" is a great (pair of) tune(s).

I consider myself the consummate Gentle Giant fan. You may think like wise...The Missing Piece is an awful recording, and to add to the misery, the worst tune that GG ever recorded is on it. I BETCHA THOUGHT WE COULDN'T DO IT. I have no doubts whatsoever.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

The first section of 'I Lost My Head' is amazing. The 2nd half is more ordinary but I still like it. Not my favorite overall track from 'Interview' but not my least either. The verses section of 'Empty City' is one of my favorite things they ever did.

I'll have to pick up 'Civilian'. Back in the day the only song I remember liking was 'Shadows on the Street' of course. I'd probably like the whole thing these days, though I would never play it after one of their classics.

Okay, yeah, tonight I just listened to all of Giant For A Day for the first time.

Yow. So horrible. And I like Tormato, for God's sake.

The title track is like some depressing approximation of New Wave without any of the giving-a-shit, and their other pop songs have very repetitive, unengaging choruses.

Its (minor) plusses are "Rock Climber," which has a hint of the old GG-syncopation, and "Friends," which shows John Weathers has a nice voice. "It's Only Goodbye" is a passable power ballad.

But in general, this album drips with a get-it-overwith contempt for the pop format, whereas Civilian shows an almost Abacab-level of comfort with better-constructed pop-rock.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I consider myself the consummate Gentle Giant fan. You may think like wise...The Missing Piece is an awful recording, and to add to the misery, the worst tune that GG ever recorded is on it. I BETCHA THOUGHT WE COULDN'T DO IT. I have no doubts whatsoever.
    So, how about pulling out the big guns Dave Sr and get Dan Bornemark to remix it! How long have we been tantalized with that possibility?! At least a decade and a half if not longer! If he doesn't have the time then maybe we can coerce Steven Wilson into doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    So, how about pulling out the big guns Dave Sr and get Dan Bornemark to remix it! How long have we been tantalized with that possibility?! At least a decade and a half if not longer! If he doesn't have the time then maybe we can coerce Steven Wilson into doing it!
    I'm not sure if it's salvageable. Dan must be quite aware of it's dismal sound. Regarding Steven Wilson...after I reviewed his TPATG remix, my thoughts were that he should tackle a real crappy sounding album like TMP, instead of decent sounding recordings like TPATG. That would be a real test for his talent!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    That would be a real test for his talent!
    Wouldn't it though Given that the only thing he's remixed that has impressed me was Relayer it might turn out pretty well.

TMP is very nice, their last worhty LP in my opinion..It really holds the spirit of old GG. The weakest track is Mountain Time, not Betcha - which is self-irony song, short and not boring.
    Pop stufff like Two Weeks In Spain, Who Do You Think You Are done in band's quirky style, not just a cheesy pop, like next album's Thank You, It'sOnly Goodbye etc..
    As Old As You're Young, Memories Of Old Days, Winning, For Nobody - all classic Giant to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    But in general, this album drips with a get-it-overwith contempt for the pop format, whereas Civilian shows an almost Abacab-level of comfort with better-constructed pop-rock.
    "Words to the Wise" sounds very Kansas to me, probably intentionally, but I think it works.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Just chiming in to concur that "I Lost My Head" is a great (pair of) tune(s).
    Yep, great stuff. Even got down to figuring out how to play it on guitar when I was a teen.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"