Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does prog not win the Oscars?

Why does prog not win the Oscars?

Why isn't "The Flower Kings" more popular than Tailor Swift? It seems to me that "The Flower Kings" really could've had Tyler Swift's audience. Roine Stolt is very youthful and his music is just as melodic as Swifts, but really much much deeper and more emotional which I think Teylor Swift's fans would have appreciated. If they had a chance to hear "The Flower Kings" they would have really loved it much more than Tailer Swift's music and Roine could have been successful instead of her which is good because he deserves it more. It is really the music industry's fault, they hold back the real talent. Also, computers are to blame. They make Thyler Swift's music in a computer and computers have ruined music. It was much better in the 90s before they inventet the computer and people played real music on real instruments but now it's all artificial. Roine Stolt is so good that even in 2015 he doesn't need computers to make his music even though his music is so advanced that any other person could not calculate "The Flower Kings"' time signatures without a computer. Also, does anyone know of any other bands that sound exactly like the band "GENESIS" who I discovered and they are amazing, long before computers they did things that only really smart people can understand and I want lots of bands that sound exactly like them can anyone help me? They should be more popular than Cainye West but the music industry is unfair and holds back the geniuses so that "GENESIS" are an obscure band that no-one knows while Canyone West is very famous and wins the "OSCARS" every year. The world is so unfair and the mainstream music is so stupid and the smart people are not popular.

Dude, you're high.

You're just jealous I picked The FUGS and Katy first...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I think it may be because prog fans like me are mostly old?
    When we were kids it was through the roof!

The kids have their own music now. Foo fighters & mumford & sons playing here in Walla Walla soon, expecting quite a crowd in our little town.
    Still alive and well...

These threads are hurting my head.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Hey... Prog cant win an oscar.
    Still alive and well...

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Why isn't "The Flower Kings" more popular than Tailor Swift? It seems to me that "The Flower Kings" really could've had Tyler Swift's audience....etc etc yadda yadda and so on and so forth (for so long...)
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing just yesterday.

When's prog going to win a Tony???
    "One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." ---Kurt Vonnegut

Why does prog walk when it could take the bus?
    Still alive and well...

Why isn't "The Flower Kings" more popular than Tailor Swift?
    Because they're not even a good prog band by prog's standards.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Because they're not even a good prog band by prog's standards.
    I thought every prog fan knew they are the best band ever, because:

Roine Stolt is so good ... his music is so advanced that any other person could not calculate "The Flower Kings"' time signatures without a computer. Also, does anyone know of any other bands that sound exactly like the band "GENESIS" who ... did things that only really smart people can understand

Popularity is a stick. One end represents acceptance and praise, and the other rejection and shame. Can't have one without the other. A price of success.
    In the words of Frank Zappa, "Music is Best." Here's a musician who invested his profits back into the music, funding orchestras and such so he could hear it. He used so-called popularity/success to that end. He wasn't seeking accolades. I don't know about Tailer Swift and Kanye. Whatever floats their boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You're just jealous I picked The FUGS and Katy first...
    No, Jacob has seen the truth and now realizes that Stolt has bigger breasts than both Swift and Perry. And they're not even fake.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Q: Why did the prog cross the road?
    A: To see if it really existed!

Jacob, you magnificent bastard
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post

The kids have their own music now. .
    The kids are alright.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Nino Rota, Henry Mancini, Jerry Goldsmith - WTF are they compared to Stolt?

Goldsmith may have written that "Chinatown theme", but let's get it straight - it's not exactly "My Cosmic Lover"...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I think it may be because prog fans like me are mostly old?
    When we were kids it was through the roof!

The kids have their own music now. Foo fighters & mumford & sons playing here in Walla Walla soon, expecting quite a crowd in our little town.
    Foo Fighters is Dad Rock. They've been around for about 20 years.

At least prog won a Grammy.

Best hard rock/ heavy metal recording- Jethro Tull in '89!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Jacob, you magnificent bastard
    You know, I did hear a rumor that they DO have both tongues and cheeks in Norway.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Some days, my belief in an alternate world is all that keeps me going. An alternate world where the Flower Kings are more popular than Taylor Swift and Genesis is more popular than Connie West. An alternate world where mainstream music is never stupid and is often awesome. An alternate world where smart people are not only popular, they are in charge. It is my goal to locate this alternate world and move there, because this ass-backwards Earth that is circling the drain due to the stupidity of its leaders and the bankers that own them, has to be some kind of cosmic joke.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You know, I did hear a rumor that they DO have both tongues and cheeks in Norway.

Yes, and they're usually pickled.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    my belief in an alternate world is all that keeps me going. An alternate world where the Flower Kings are more popular than Taylor Swift and Genesis is more popular than Connie West. [...] An alternate world where smart people are not only popular, they are in charge. [...] this ass-backwards Earth that is circling the drain due to the stupidity of its leaders and the bankers that own them [...]
    I just knew it! T'was the friggin' Rothschilds who saw to it that Flowersis never made it quite as big as Kanye Swift! T's all about da darn N.W.O.!!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yes, and they're usually pickled.
    I remember an interview with Bjork where they asked her what they do for fun in Iceland (which I know isn't as bad as those Norwegia places ) and she said something to the effect of "drink vodka and f**k in the snow" which I thought was pretty funny. And awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I remember an interview with Bjork where they asked her what they do for fun in Iceland (which I know isn't as bad as those Norwegia places ) and she said something to the effect of "drink vodka and f**k in the snow" which I thought was pretty funny. And awesome.
    Norway is a even crazier. Here’s actual footage of Prof. Scrotum driving to work (University of Tromsø) and being breathalysed.

Apparently, they let him drive on because he was “sober enough”. That’s Norway for ya!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."