Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why did FUGS not become "Katy Perry"?

Katy's wrote a few cool songs. And sells TONS of tickets. She could be doing a whole lot worse stuff than making people happy........

For me the music product pasteurized with sophisticated studio techniques for mass market has never had any appeal at all. No matter whether it was Motown, Dark Side of the Moon or high charting crop from Max Martin's stable. However, if any of this material gets played live by musicians in a more loose, organic and direct way, I am immediately able to spot the talent and songwriting skills.

It would have been much refreshing to have more popular music coming from its natural habitat, live on stage with no or modest post-processing. Unfortunately people have been always obsessed with artificial soul-sucking perfection (not only in music), so I have little hopes for any change in that matter. One can only count on a spontaneous backlash against the high-tech saturation in modern life that has already resuscitated wider interest in vinyl, polaroid, warts'n'all archive live recordings and other allegedly outdated concepts.

Here is a much more human and intimate side of Katy Perry, normally hidden deep below the technological sound gloss:

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 03-07-2015 at 09:45 AM.

I wrote a great Sanders quote from a tune on page 1 of this thread, and here it is at 02:16 -

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Didn't read the whole thread. Among her enjoyable songs are: Wide Awake, This is How We Do It, Unconditionally, Hot N Cold (rollercoaster part is sung neatly, neat right brain stuff). "Roar" is fun too. I don't know most of her songs. I think I'll stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Diana Rigg ca. 1965 > Katy Perry 2015

Discuss.

Attachment 5057
    I prefer Diana Rigg.

Katy’s messages are very inspirational (like Joni or Dylan inspirational). She will come through for you but you have to be willing to do your part. Explore the depths of her multi-layered lyrics? There’s no end to it, friend!

LAST FRIDAY NIGHT (T.G.I.F.)
    There's a stranger in my bed
    There's a pounding my head
    Glitter all over the room
    Pink flamingos in the pool
    I smell like a minibar
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

There's a lot of fake and special effects to Katy Perry but those "girls" of hers are definitely real. Prog bonus, her band likes to play Rush.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

To my everlasting shame, I actually kind of enjoy “California Gurls.” There’s a bunch of other songs of hers I really hate (in general, the “trying too hard to be controversial” stuff like “I Kissed a Girl” and “U So Gay”), but the majority of her stuff is inoffensive fluff (like the aforementioned “Roar”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...