Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Renaissance : Tales Of 1001 Nights (Volumes I & II)

FEATURED CD - Renaissance : Tales Of 1001 Nights (Volumes I & II)

Per Allmusic :
    Volume I:

This 75-minute compilation and its companion volume are just about the only acknowledgments on the part of Sire Records that it ever had a progressive rock catalog, somewhere in between signing the Ramones and Madonna. The song lineup on this first volume heavily favors the group's early repertory, including songs originally done for the Sovereign label, represented here in concert recordings from Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall. How attractive that is depends upon how one feels about those performances, versus the original studio renditions (available from One Way Records domestically and, in superior versions, from HTD Records in England). They were never too impressive on vinyl, although the digital remastering and re-equalization of the material seems to have solved much of that problem. The original Sire studio material, including "Running Hard" and "Black Flame," sound better here than they did on their original vinyl releases, which had fairly noisy pressings and were somewhat top-heavy on the bass. The accompaniments all sound crisper on the CD, the nuances and fine balances between the band and the orchestra much easier to appreciate, and the only major flaw -- and it is a big one -- is the absence of "Song of Scheherazade," their biggest orchestral-accompanied piece ever. Only a four-minute excerpt is included; admittedly, the work as a whole is somewhat overblown, taking up a little more time than it is worth, but it was the centerpiece of two separate albums, which should have told the programmers something about how much it registered to fans.

Volume II:

The second volume of Sire Records' retrospective compilation on Renaissance is not as impressive musically as its predecessor, devoted as it is primarily to the lesser of the group's late-'70s repertory. The intelligent thing to have done with this volume would have been to put "Song of Scheherazade" on this volume, which would have shored up its value -- perhaps this would have been an awkward fit, as the disc was to include the 23-minute live version of "Ashes Are Burning," but one or two of the lesser songs that are here might've been sacrificed. As it is, the material is less concise and accessible than that of the preceding volume, though it still has very attractive vocal and piano flourishes, and stunning melodies. There are also a few of what could be considered "offbeat" numbers for the group, most notably the folk-like "Northern Lights," and "Midas Man," on which the dominant instrument for much of the song is Mick Dunford's acoustic guitar rather than John Tout's piano. Much of the music seems more of a reach, however, in terms of subject matter, making this volume more of an acquired taste than its companion, and a choice more appropriate for hardcore fans of the group than those with a casual interest.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/tales-...1-mw0000206020
    and
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/tales-...2-mw0000203962

Regards,

Duncan

Interesting choice for a feature since these are compilations. But one of them was actually the first Renaissance I ever really heard, via a used copy at a CD store many, many moons ago. I realized they were a band I needed to start collecting!

But I also recall some years back there was a discussion of these going on and people were remarking on how much better these versions of the songs sounded because they had benefited from a good remix job. Everyone was bemoaning the fact that Renaissance's catalog was badly overdue for a proper reissue campaign. As far as I know, other than a few exceptions like Scheherazade, that's still the case amirite?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have owned both of these. In my opinion, they didn't leave out any of the best songs.

Weren't these the only way to get Renaissance on CD for a while?

Yes. This was my introduction to Renaissance in the early 90s. But then once the original albums got reissued on cd there was no use for these anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Yes. This was my introduction to Renaissance in the early 90s. But then once the original albums got reissued on cd there was no use for these anymore.
    Except that these still sound better than most of the individual album releases on CD.

IMO.

I bought these when they first came out, but as is usual with comps, I don't play them much because I don't usually like to just hear a few tracks from a particular album, especially as they aren't always my favorites. I'm with the reviewer that 'Song of Sheherazade' should probably have been included, and then I have my faves, such as 'Forever Changing', and 'Back Home Once Again', which aren't there. And then other faves, such as 'Prologue' are.

These were the first Renaissance CDs released (as far as I can remember) and so a must have for any fan. But unfortunately they only had a short (4 minute) excerpt from Scheherezade, which makes no sense since they basically named the two volumes for that piece of music. So, while I loved being able to listen to Renaissance on CD, it just wasn't enough. Fortunately, everything else eventually came out and these became irrelevant.

these were my introduction to Renaissance. a friend lent me the cassettes and i loved them and got the CD's. the released of these on CD started the whole Renaissance resurgence.

As I recall I got these via one of those "Buy 1 get 10 free" CD clubs when they were popular.. Like many couldn't find any of their stuff on CD at that time so it was a no brainer.. Still play both of these.. nice collection of songs for sure..

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I bought Vol.1 back in the '90s as I had neglected this band during their heyday in the '70s. Became a fan, have most of the essential back catalog at this point and have been enjoying the modern iteration as well, having seen them twice prior to Michael Thunford's (?sp) untimely death.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    In my opinion, they didn't leave out any of the best songs.
    I had a similar thought once I got to the original albums and heard the things that had been left off these, but I'd consider "Let It Grow" the exception. (It could have replaced "Ocean Gypsy," which always seemed a bit too draggy and overdone to me.) "Captive Heart" would have also been good to fit if there'd been room on vol. 2, but I definitely understand the urge to make room for the extended "Ashes Are Burning" instead.
    Last edited by Spiral; 03-04-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Odd choice. Yes, these were the first Renaissance CDs to appear. I played them quite a bit at the time, not sure if I still have them though. I recall an error was made on one of the sets, an inclusion of a rare live track which was not what was indicated on the track listing, in place of another studio track which did not appear. They re-issued the set to correct the tracks, but I had the original one.

A friend of mine made me a tape of Vol. 1 and “edited highlights” from Vol. 2. I was not impressed but they eventually grew on me. I don’t know what happened to that tape; either I gave it to someone, taped over it or simply misplaced it. In any case, I have all the Renaissance albums up to and including Camera Camera now (including the Carnegie Hall live album, the early albums with the Relfs and both Illusion albums made for Island Records). The main reason I don’t have Time-Line is because I haven’t managed to find a copy on CD. Oddly, “Midas Man” was probably the first song I really bonded with and Novella has grown to be possibly my favourite by them.

My first actual CD was a promo copy of the Thunderbolt release of Azure d’or (with a missing booklet and radio station info Magic Marker-ed on the case), which a different friend gave to me. I think that, and not the 1001 Nights tape, really started my love-affair with this band. I recall people, at least at the time, really liked to dump on that one, but I thought it was pretty strong in spite of the key-chestrations and shorter songs. I especially love “Forever Changing” and “Kalynda.” I have since upgraded to the German Sire CD of ADO, which has much better sound than the muddy-sounding Thunderbolt release.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    My first actual CD was a promo copy of the Thunderbolt release of Azure d’or (with a missing booklet and radio station info Magic Marker-ed on the case), which a different friend gave to me. I think that, and not the 1001 Nights tape, really started my love-affair with this band. I recall people, at least at the time, really liked to dump on that one, but I thought it was pretty strong in spite of the key-chestrations and shorter songs. I especially love “Forever Changing” and “Kalynda.” I have since upgraded to the German Sire CD of ADO, which has much better sound than the muddy-sounding Thunderbolt release.
    I know we're getting a little off-topic, but I'm with you -- I've always liked Azure d'Or since the first time I heard it, and it doesn't ever really get stale for me. But I guess I need to check which version I have since it's not what I would call a "dynamic" sounding CD.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I recall people, at least at the time, really liked to dump on that one, but I thought it was pretty strong in spite of the key-chestrations and shorter songs. I especially love “Forever Changing” and “Kalynda.” I have since upgraded to the German Sire CD of ADO, which has much better sound than the muddy-sounding Thunderbolt release.
    I've always liked Azure d'Or. It may be just me, but "Jekyll and Hyde" always struck me as distinctly Gentle Giant-ish...sort of a poppier "Cogs in Cogs" crossed with "The Runaway."

I'm pretty sure I have the Thunderbolt pressing of ADO. Didn't seem muddy when last I listened but I'll give it a spin tonight.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I like the sound of the Thunderbolt Azure CD. To me, it's very warm and inviting. Some may prefer a brighter sound, but the Thunderbolt doesn't lack high end.

Incidentally, out of curiosity I once got the Japanese Sire CD of Azure (a much earlier mastering than the mini-LP), and I found it to sound way too thin. I'm not sure if the European Sire has a different mastering, but I'll stick with the Thunderbolt.

Oh, and Azure was my introduction to Renaissance. I fell in love with the album immediately, and therefore bought the 1000 Nights discs when they were released later. I thought all the tracks were great, though I distinctly recall feeling unsatisfied by the abrupt fade of the "Sheherezade" excerpt. I kept an eye out for Renaissance CD reissues from then on, and I remember it took ages for any to start materializing.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Incidentally, out of curiosity I once got the Japanese Sire CD of Azure (a much earlier mastering than the mini-LP), and I found it to sound way too thin. I'm not sure if the European Sire has a different mastering, but I'll stick with the Thunderbolt.
    I just checked and my copy is the Sire release. It's definitely a flat and quiet sounding disk -- sounds like I need to upgrade.

Renaissance has always been a very personal band for me. When I discovered them around 80/81, I went out and bought all of their albums. An unprecedented thing for me. When CDs started to happen years later, I knew I would be out of luck. I just didn't think Renaissance would get pressed (I rarely met people that knew who they were, even among musician friends). So I was so surprised when these two disks showed up in my favorite music store. And even when I saw that they were Renaissance CDs, I assumed they would try to pick short songs.. with retro hit potential - and then there they were: *all* of those epic tracks that I loved so much!

It seemed to me that those songs were the ultimate example of what CDs could offer. What recordings could have been more detailed than a lot of those mixes were?

I heard an interview with Annie Haslam recently where she said that the band made a mistake trying to change to fit the times (the post Azure D'or stuff). When this release came out I felt validated that.. "yeah, that's the good stuff!".
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

These two discs were the reason I finally broke down and bought a cd player. Renaissance vinyl wasn't too easy to find the late 1980s (at least where I was looking...). Like ProgMusician, I hadn't thought that anything by Renaissance would ever make it to cd! So I was very excited to have them. I still love Vol. 1 but agree that Vol. 2 is on the weak side.

I like the sound of the Thunderbolt Azure CD. To me, it's very warm and inviting. Some may prefer a brighter sound, but the Thunderbolt doesn't lack high end.

Oh, and Azure was my introduction to Renaissance. I fell in love with the album immediately, and therefore bought the 1000 Nights discs when they were released later. I thought all the tracks were great, though I distinctly recall feeling unsatisfied by the abrupt fade of the "Sheherezade" excerpt. I kept an eye out for Renaissance CD reissues from then on, and I remember it took ages for any to start materializing.
    All of the early 90s Warner Japan Renaissance CDs were later released on Warner Europe. Sonically, they are all clones.

I agree that this early Japanese version of Azure D' Or is on the bright side. In fact, most of the CDs in that series tend to be. I prefer the Thunderbolt CD for a sound that holds up with some volume.

Yes, the Sire was brighter than the Thunderbolt, although that didn't bother me so much by itself. What did bother me was a distinct lack of low end. And that - probably coupled with the brighter highs - resulted in a really anemic sound to my ears. I couldn't feel the music. The Thunderbolt sounded heftier IMO. Fuller. And the top end has a pleasant, natural sound to me. I never think to myself, "I wish I could hear the hi-hat more clearly", for example.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Yes, the Sire was brighter than the Thunderbolt, although that didn't bother me so much by itself. What did bother me was a distinct lack of low end. And that - probably coupled with the brighter highs - resulted in a really anemic sound to my ears. I couldn't feel the music. The Thunderbolt sounded heftier IMO. Fuller. And the top end has a pleasant, natural sound to me. I never think to myself, "I wish I could hear the hi-hat more clearly", for example.
    IMO, hi-hat is one of the most annoying qualities of CDs with too much treble. It's just not a sound that was ever intended to struggle through what later became to be regarded as "clarity" by many CD listeners. I very rarely hear any vinyl that exhibits that sound. Maybe that medium handled it better or maybe most engineers in those days were more interested in "full" than in "crisp."