Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New VDGG BBC sessions release- out March 23

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Agreed. I have packages from places like Finland and Germany show up in Canada in 2 or 3 days. This one from the UK is now 22 and counting. Does Burning Shed use some sort of discount shipping?
    I honestly don't know...truth be told, on average BS is one of the FASTEST and most reliable overseas sources for me. Even for larger packages like the King Crimson boxes, shipping is no more than 5-7 days. I suspect something may have gone wrong in transit, sadly
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I honestly don't know...truth be told, on average BS is one of the FASTEST and most reliable overseas sources for me. Even for larger packages like the King Crimson boxes, shipping is no more than 5-7 days. I suspect something may have gone wrong in transit, sadly
    I was getting worried that it was lost, but thankfully it was in my mailbox when I got home from work today.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't have any live VDGG is this a good place to start?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't see why not! its all classic VdGG

BBC sessions are an lamost infaillible garantee that the sound will good or excellent...

Vital (78) is not approprite for classic-era VdGG, however raw and good it may be
    Real Time (07) is rather good, but has a fairly rocky start, and they were sort of under-rehearsed (their first reunion concert)
    Should you get the Paradisio (09) or the Metropolis (12) shows, get the DVD instead
    For Merlin Atmos (15), the first disc is awesome (and indispensible) while the second disc is... meh... OK... If I had to redo it, I'd just take the Merlin (without the atmos)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^^

I'd agree that The Pentangle's double BBC disc is pretty bad.... but it is the kind of exception that confirms a rarely-denied rule
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes. There isn't much else anyway from the 1st and 2nd periods.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd agree that The Pentangle's double BBC disc is pretty bad.... but it is the kind of exception that confirms a rarely-denied rule
    You may have not heard Free' BBC set. Easily the worst BBC vault release ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    You may have not heard Free' BBC set. Easily the worst BBC vault release ever.
    you're right... I never heard it.

Their live album and the first two are all I ever needed from them

For anyone who has the new(ish) BBC “After The Flood” cd… Are there audio issues with the ’71 live-in-concert clip (Man Erg, W, Killer)? It sounded much better and cleaner on the old “Fellow Travellers” bootleg. On the BBC cd it seems like there is distortion in spots; maybe actual radio static creeping in or some sort of low rumbling. I’ve tried it on two different systems (neither that great). Is anyone else hearing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    For anyone who has the new(ish) BBC “After The Flood” cd… Are there audio issues with the ’71 live-in-concert clip (Man Erg, W, Killer)? It sounded much better and cleaner on the old “Fellow Travellers” bootleg. On the BBC cd it seems like there is distortion in spots; maybe actual radio static creeping in or some sort of low rumbling. I’ve tried it on two different systems (neither that great). Is anyone else hearing this?
    Yep. Assumed it was just recorded on a windy day or something.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Yep. Assumed it was just recorded on a windy day or something.
    No, that session exists in great, pristine quality on the aforementioned Fellow Travelers boot and elsewhere. It's extremely disappointing that they weren't able to dig up a better version than the atrocity they went with (through no fault of their own, probably; disappointing nonetheless)

I owned Fellow Travellers and I own the new issue, and I heard similar sound issues on both. I would not call the 71 session on FT 'better' or 'pristine' but ymmv.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I owned Fellow Travellers and I own the new issue, and I heard similar sound issues on both. I would not call the 71 session on FT 'better' or 'pristine' but ymmv.
    Have to disagree with you on this one Steve. I own FT, it was the first VdGG boot I ever heard and helped inspire me to write a book on the band. I lived, breathed, and ate (?!) that '71 session (available on other boots as well) in my youth, it was the holy grail to me. Every note of this perf is etched in my (demented) brain, even though the W and Killer perfs are radically different from the studio versions. I even had Killer from this session played on air when I was interviewed for Milwaukee's 'Planet Prog' radio show to promote said book. I wouldn't consider playing Killer on air from the new BBC disc given the chance again, the sound quality just isn't as good, the aforementioned static/rumbling is just too distracting (IMO). There are other VdGG nerds (almost as nerdy as me in their love of VdGG) who've been hip to this '71 session for years and are hearing the same "new" flaws with the "After The Flood" version, one of them the author of the Italian VdGG biography (I posted about this same issue on the Yahoo Hammill group and my own VdGG Facebook page).

Just my two cents and no biggie that we disagree.

...although I perhaps overstated the case by saying 'pristine quality' ;-) It's just 'better' quality

...although I perhaps overstated the case by saying 'pristine quality' ;-) It's just 'better' quality
    Ah. 'better quality' I can't argue with, because I don't have FT anymore. It wasn't pristine. imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The holy grail would be a pristine copy of the BBC Transcription Disc, from which Fellow Travellers was taken. It is always an outside possibility, although increasingly unlikely some 45 years on. The `In Concert' master tapes would have been wiped years ago, and the Transcription Service tapes seem to have met the same fate according to the BBC's information.

Just to be sure I wasn't making a mountain etc, I listened this morning to Killer on the new BBC disc. There definitely is a major audio issue going on there. For anyone who has the new disc, listen to the first verse PH sings ("So you live in the bottom of the sea..."). The distortion is immediately apparent. Also glaring at the start of the second sung verse ("On a black day, in a black month.."). It almost as if it was recorded too loudly and it's clipping, or there is just static bleeding through. Absent on other, much cleaner versions of the same session (incl Fellow Travellers)

Is there a "go to" boot CD of these performances recommended?

FT is / was vinyl, correct?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Wow. So where can I get Fellow Travelers?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Wow. So where can I get Fellow Travelers?
    I'm not anywhere I can hear this (I'm at work!) but I found this clip on YouTube which is supposedly taken from Fellow Travelers. If you're able, can you compare the two versions of Killer and see if the distortion on the first two vocal verses is present on the YouTube clip (it's def there on the new BBC disc)?

https://youtu.be/crDRQBy7Kco

I'm not anywhere I can hear this (I'm at work!) but I found this clip on YouTube which is supposedly taken from Fellow Travelers. If you're able, can you compare the two versions of Killer and see if the distortion on the first two vocal verses is present on the YouTube clip (it's def there on the new BBC disc)?

https://youtu.be/crDRQBy7Kco
    The official release 'After The Flood' uses the bootleg 'VDGG Is On The Air' as source for Killer and for the whole 23rd-Sept-71 session. Here, this 23rd-Sept-71 session is taken from a different copy of the BBC Transcription Disc as the one used on Fellow Travellers. The sound features of the 2 bootlegs are different, it's not only a question of eq, and, most important, on Fellow Travellers there's a vinyl skip on Killer during the instrumental section. That's probably the reason for choosing the VDGG Is On The Air source.
    Anyway, they could have easily inserted the missing section into the Fellow Travellers source for a better listening rendition.
    Last edited by squonkduke; 04-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.

...or was the skip on Man-Erg? Now i'm at work and don't remember exactly, but on Fellow Travellers there was definitly a skipping issue on one of the 3 songs of the 23rd-Sept-71 session.

Question: other than the first three tracks (which I have on The Box) is there anything here that wasn't subsequently included on the Charisma Years box?