Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

Suspended
    "Insurgentes" means rebels. Who are the insurgentes Steven refers to, I wonder?

Certainly the name comes from Avenida insurgentes in Mexico City, but knowing Steven I'm sure there is a deeper meaning. Perhaps he regards himself and musicians like himself as "insurgentes", rebelling against the formulaic pop paradigm.

A number of the songs have lyrics that link in some way to HIV/AIDS, and it's also noteworthy that the Mexico recording sessions took place at about the same time as the International HIV Conference held that year in Mexico City.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 03-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Old thread resurrection!

I just found out that the song Harmony Korine is named after an American film director. Does anyone know why? I had never heard of him, though I might have seen a bit of his movie "Kids."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Old thread resurrection!

I just found out that the song Harmony Korine is named after an American film director. Does anyone know why? I had never heard of him, though I might have seen a bit of his movie "Kids."
    Only because SW really likes his work, he directed that awful film Spring Breakers. I had never heard of him either and wish I still hadn't after watching that movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Only because SW really likes his work, he directed that awful film Spring Breakers. I had never heard of him either and wish I still hadn't after watching that movie!
    Spring Breakers is AWESOME film!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Spring Breakers is AWESOME film!
    Only if you see it standing up.

🤣🤣🤣

I had very mixed feelings when it first came out, but it has grown on me over the years. I still like his later solo efforts better, but this one certainly has it's moments.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I had very mixed feelings when it first came out, but it has grown on me over the years. I still like his later solo efforts better, but this one certainly has it's moments.
    Me too, I actually sold my first copy and then bought it again a couple of years later. I appreciate it more now than when it came out.

Me too, I actually sold my first copy and then bought it again a couple of years later. I appreciate it more now than when it came out.
    I love it. Anytime SW indulges his more experimental side and mixes it with his pop sensibilities is a win in my book.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I think it's one of Wilson's weaker solo efforts, especially compared to the magnificent Grace for Drowning and The Raven That Refused to Sing. Don't really have much inclination to revisit Insurgentes, to be honest.
    Last edited by kid_runningfox; 03-20-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I think it's one of Wilson's weaker solo efforts, especially compared to the magnificent Grace for Drowning and The Raven That Refused to Sing. Don't really have much inclination to revisit Insurgentes, to be honest.
    Yeah I'm with you although I'll take Insurgents easily over his latest which I absolutely cannot stand. Grace For Drowning is my favorite by far and always the one I turn to for my SW fix with The Raven not too far behind.

'No Twilight Within The Courts of The Sun' is my favorite off of Insurgentes and a killer opener on the 'Grace For Drowning' tour.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^^^

I agree, Grace For Drowning is his jewel in the crown, a never been bettered career high point so far if you ask me. Ok, so Raven and HCE come close behind but I just hope he can regain his form after the TTB debacle.

^^^

I agree, Grace For Drowning is his jewel in the crown, a never been bettered career high point so far if you ask me. Ok, so Raven and HCE come close behind but I just hope he can regain his form after the TTB debacle.
    "Debacle" is a strong word for this context.