Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Al Di Meola last night in Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    The Havana show was great, though I wished for a bit more playtime (the show started a little late, and there was an set break about an hour in). Overall, though, Al ripped it up! His band was fantastic too. Total machine.

At the end he said something to the effect of "Thanks for coming, I hope to be back but not sure I will be able to...". Does anyone know what that was about? I had heard he had trouble with his hearing so maybe he was speaking about electric shows specifically, but it was rather alarming to hear regardless.
    REALLY wanted to see this show, but chose to see Ginger Baker at Havana instead. The lineup there has been improving greatly over the last few years.

So I saw Al last Saturday night at the Berklee Performance Center. Really great show, I thoroughly enjoyed it. He did a great mix of older and newer stuff, and sounded fantastic on everything. His band was smokin', featuring a young violinist named Evan Garr who was fantastic. They did a short acoustic set that maybe wasn't as good as the electric stuff, but overall I really enjoyed the show.

I just ordered three of Al's more recent solo albums I don't have (Kiss My Axe, Consequences of Chaos and his new one Elysium). He played a track from Elysium and it was very good, with a cool mallet percussion part from keyboardist Philippe Saisse. I know Al gets some knocks here for, well, being Al I guess. But I really like his electric-oriented solo stuff. I got Flesh on Flesh a while back and was very pleasantly surprised by it. I'm hoping to enjoy these new ones as well.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I never really looked cause I have all the cds I want by him and if I bring home another T shirt, especially one that costs over $20, my wife would kill me.
    But how could anyone pass up the tour shirt:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    But how could anyone pass up the tour shirt:
    Now if they had his 16 year old fiancee on the shirt I might consider.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Now if they had his 16 year old fiancee on the shirt I might consider.
    You're joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You're joking, right?
    He didn't make her stand up and introduce her to the audience at the show you were at. Maybe I should have taken pictures at the show earlier this year in DC. She looked about 16 to me.

Dang, found her on FB... I don't think she's THAT young but she looks pretty damn young... they are now married according to FB. Good for him I guess

Dang, found her on FB... I don't think she's THAT young but she looks pretty damn young... they are now married according to FB. Good for him I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I just ordered three of Al's more recent solo albums I don't have (Kiss My Axe, Consequences of Chaos and his new one Elysium). He played a track from Elysium and it was very good, with a cool mallet percussion part from keyboardist Philippe Saisse. I know Al gets some knocks here for, well, being Al I guess. But I really like his electric-oriented solo stuff. I got Flesh on Flesh a while back and was very pleasantly surprised by it. I'm hoping to enjoy these new ones as well.

Bill
    Kiss My Axe is a great album. Some very excellent compositions such as The Embrace, and One Night Last June, and a superb production job. I love the first track on Flesh On Flesh called Zona Desperata. I'd say that's one of Al's finest compositions. He really captures that Afro/Cuban vibe on this beautifully written and arranged piece. And the cameo by Gonzalo Rubalcaba is icing on the cake! Haven't heard the new one. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So I saw Al last Saturday night at the Berklee Performance Center. Really great show, I thoroughly enjoyed it. He did a great mix of older and newer stuff, and sounded fantastic on everything. His band was smokin', featuring a young violinist named Evan Garr who was fantastic. They did a short acoustic set that maybe wasn't as good as the electric stuff, but overall I really enjoyed the show.

Bill

Infinite Desire is probably my Favorite Al album from the last 25 years but kiss my Axe has some great tunes as does Chaos. Love Red Moon on Chaos, Chick plays piano and it is hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Kiss My Axe is a great album. Some very excellent compositions such as The Embrace, and One Night Last June, and a superb production job. I love the first track on Flesh On Flesh called Zona Desperata. I'd say that's one of Al's finest compositions. He really captures that Afro/Cuban vibe on this beautifully written and arranged piece. And the cameo by Gonzalo Rubalcaba is icing on the cake! Haven't heard the new one. Enjoy!
    thanks! I also love Zona Desperata, it realy kicks the album off with a bang!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Infinite Desire is probably my Favorite Al album from the last 25 years but kiss my Axe has some great tunes as does Chaos. Love Red Moon on Chaos, Chick plays piano and it is hot!
    That one was not on my radar, so I added it to my queue along with Orange and Blue. Good reviews on both of those on Amazon.

I'm not completely certain why I've avoided all these releases. I guess I though he'd sort of drifted into a sort of Latin inflected smooth Jazz, but Flesh on Flesh surprised me, as did some of the newer stuff he played at the show, so I'm going to explore.

Thanks!

Bill

Al, Patrick Stewart and Rick Wakeman all belong to this secret club.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Al, Patrick Stewart and Rick Wakeman all belong to this secret club.
    So did Chris Squire.