Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Al Di Meola last night in Atlanta

Thanks for the Havana hint...ticket obtained!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Apr 21 Tucson, AZ - The Fox Theatre

WOOHOOOOOOO I am so there!

while he's far from my fav Guitarist, I find his repertoire to be varied and interesting... and my wife liked his playing when we saw the RTF reunion.
    Thank you! I think i will be there too!

Billy Cobham will manning the kit for the Fox Theater show

He was so impressive when I caught him in 1978. And what a buff build...his arms were as big as my thighs!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Billy Cobham will manning the kit for the Fox Theater show
    now yer just yankin my chain
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

wow... you were not yankin my chain!

TICKETS PURCHASED
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

GOT MY TIX!!

WP_20150411_001.jpg

anyone seen the show with Al and Billy?
    what was the setlist?

Supposed to see Billy Cobham Wednesday night if Dean Brown comes through with the comps, which he usually does.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm seeing him in Fairfield Ct.

I hope he brings his Les Paul.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

was Di Meola with him Ed?
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 04-16-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Saw Cobham last night. For someone 71 he still has it going, even with a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    D'OH ... I meant to ask if it was the show with Di Meola last night?

I guess I'm wondering how they are going to rehearse the show with only 5 days left if they haven't yet played together

Cobham is amazing. I am trying to pin the exact year somewhere in 1976 I think I saw BC and Louie Belson give a drum clinic at a local college with the college jazz band in accompaniment. Both of them were just stellar playing multiple kits (although I didn't see Louie playing Billy's kit) with and without the band in a variety of styles. Very fun day. I think I paid $5.

D'OH ... I meant to ask if it was the show with Di Meola last night?

I guess I'm wondering how they are going to rehearse the show with only 5 days left if they haven't yet played together
    This was at Berk's Jazz/fest in Reading Pa. Saw Di Meola earlier this year in DC. Berk's usually has a lot of bass players. Last time we went we saw back to back Stanley Clark and Victor Wooten. Victor came out and played with Stanley who had Ronald Bruner Jr. on drums.

This was at Berk's Jazz/fest in Reading Pa. Saw Di Meola earlier this year in DC. Berk's usually has a lot of bass players. Last time we went we saw back to back Stanley Clark and Victor Wooten. Victor came out and played with Stanley who had Ronald Bruner Jr. on drums.
    that woulda been great to see!

it's looking like Billy and Al may not play together but instead each play their set with their own band in Tucson... LUCKY ME!

Space Cadet
    The Havana show was great, though I wished for a bit more playtime (the show started a little late, and there was an set break about an hour in). Overall, though, Al ripped it up! His band was fantastic too. Total machine.

At the end he said something to the effect of "Thanks for coming, I hope to be back but not sure I will be able to...". Does anyone know what that was about? I had heard he had trouble with his hearing so maybe he was speaking about electric shows specifically, but it was rather alarming to hear regardless.

I think he feels that touring is too much for him nowadays

this could be his last tour

I think he feels that touring is too much for him nowadays

this could be his last tour
    Now I really feel badly about missing the Tucson show!

Love to see this show---Di Meola and Cobham wow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Love to see this show---Di Meola and Cobham wow.
    I think the two bands only intersected in Tucson... but I could be wrong?

He's in Toronto tonight, for anyone interested in catching him on this tour!

I think this is the last time he plans to tour electric. I seem to recall when this tour was announced it was mentioned last time to see him all electric. Once again a great show at Havana. My boy and I were front row just 3 feet from greatness. Great set list and band.

Correct! The electric guitar effects his Tinnitus and the acoustic guitar does not... anyone hear (no pun intended) if a dvd of this tour will be released? I looked SOOOO forward to this tour and unfortunately went to the San Jose show. The show that could not be seen from the worlds worst venue!!!
    Last edited by rich; 06-27-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Saw Al in Rifgefield Ct. on fathers day, front row center.

Great setlist, band , and sound.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Just got back from seeing Al at the jazzfest in Saratoga NY. Abbreviated set list, about 75 minutes, although apparently he came on and played for 45 minutes at 11AM before the fest was even supposed to start. Loved the new song Adour, quite a jammer, as well as Dinner Music and Race With Devil.

Christian McBrides big band was also at the jazzfest, a 13 piece horn section wow