Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Porcupine Tree : The Sky Moves Sideways

FEATURED CD - Porcupine Tree : The Sky Moves Sideways

Per Allmusic :
    Though Porcupine Tree's permanent lineup was in place by the time Sky Moves Sideways was complete, it was actually a combination of old and new, with a number of tracks once again done by Wilson on his own. Regardless of the provenance of one song or another, though, it was another fine release under the Porcupine Tree name, continuing the excellence of Up the Downstair while achieving a new liquid sense of drama and overall flow. Barbieri's keyboard skills alone made for a wonderful addition to the ranks, easily capturing the slow sense of unfolding atmosphere and elegance combined from earlier Porcupine Tree work while adding his own touches here and there, a touch of playfulness and improvisation. The Edwin/Maitland rhythm section sound like they were born to work together, able to both set slow, spacy moods and quick gallops and dance-skewed approaches both. Wilson, meanwhile, is still himself, calling to mind strange lyric images of rural collapse and romantic connection in his ever stronger, commanding but never straining vocals. As for guitar, there's subtle delicacy and headbanging overload and plenty of space in between for more. Overall, there's not much in the way of immediate sonic difference from Up the Downstair, more a sense of exploring and establishing styles, almost as if the bandmembers were getting used to working with each other. The tripped-out title track bookends the album (perhaps in a not so subtle nod to a similar sequence on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here with "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"). The real winners, though, are the jazz-touched acoustic/electric dreamscape of "Stars Die," with a great lead melody and overdubbed chorus from Wilson, and the immediately following "Moonloop," an instrumental calm then rocking jam that's credited to all four members.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-sk...s-mw0000326793

Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like it. I like it a-lot. One of my favourites. Incisive review, eh?

I had already been following him for three years when this was released, and had actually just got my first CD-player as well. I loved it then, and I still think it's one of his finest records, although it kinda dies a bit during the second part of the title track. I enjoyed Signify as well, but the music didn't really develop significantly after that. The odd good track here and there, but PT, to me, were never truly artistically interesting on this level again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I still think it's one of his finest records, although it kinda dies a bit during the second part of the title track. I enjoyed Signify as well, but the music didn't really develop significantly after that. The odd good track here and there, but PT, to me, were never truly artistically interesting on this level again.
    QFT
    I got this album the year it was released and liked it right away. For me, this is the best SW album so far in his career.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 02-27-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The original US edition of this album was so much better, including Stars Die and a heavily edited version of Moonloop that kept only the most interesting sections.

Best thing Porcupine Tree ever did. I have three different versions of this album: the original US version (on a label called C&S Records, who apparently never paid the band), the original UK release (on Delirium Records), and the double CD version which apparently gathers together everythign on both the US and UK versions of the album, plus a couple other things.

The album where I discovered Porcupine Tree after seeing an ad for it in the old Pink Floyd fanzine “Brain Damage”. This was back when I was just discovering that the progressive rock underground existed. Saw the ad, took a chance, and have been a fan ever since.

Phenomenal album! As much as I love everything I've heard from this band, (imho) this is where the group went from very good (On the Sunday of Life, Up the Downstair, Voyage 34) to GREAT!
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 02-28-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Suspended
    I don't play this album as often as other PT releases. On the other hand, there are times when it fits my mood perfectly and nothing else will do.

The influences from Pink Floyd shown in the title track are certainly there, and are largely responsible for the constant comparisons of Porcupine Tree to Pink Floyd, but I think they tend to get overstated. There are enough original ideas in TSMS that it does not sound anything like a clone of a PF track. In particular there seem to be a lot of Middle Eastern musical ideas.

Although this album comes from the same PT period as Up the Downstair, I find the two not all that similar. TSMS sounds like a cohesive work almost in the classical style; UtD is more like a collection of songs, though I think the highlights on UtD outshine anything on TSMS.

As an aside, TSMS also has my favourite PT album cover.

This is the era of Porcupine Tree that I like. On the top 5 Wilson albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This is the album a friend of mine tried to use to get me into them...and failed. I tried Signify and Stupid Dream, their 1999 Progfest gig and a few other selected tracks and none of them did it for me. They sound less “prog” to me and more like a 90s alternative band flirting with electronica and Floydian soundscapes. Not to my taste at all.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    ^^ It seems to me that the detractors of Porcupine Tree care a great deal about whether or not they are prog, while those who like them just like the music for what it is.

Man this one is such a spacey album like nothing else they did. Just reading these posts reminds me of when I first got into this band which was probably my most important discovery when it comes to Prog. I'm very sentimental when thinking of PT's early days including the "Stars Die : The Delirium Years" compilation cds. Up The Downstair is probably my fav from the early period but this is a close second.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I miss this aspect of PT.

Desert island disc!Original Delerium version.

This one wears the Floyd influences on its sleeve more than any other (well, On the Sunday of Life definitely has its Piper-era homages), but it's still a great album. This was where the buzz about PT became too hard to overlook and I recall buying Signify on that wave, and never looked back.

When I get the itch for pre-Signify PT I tend to reach for Up the Downstairs (the reissue with Gavin on drums, natch) more often, but this is a very close second. Plus when you combine this with the Stars Die collection and the live Coma Divine set you have an amazing trilogy of PT psych rock goodness.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ It seems to me that the detractors of Porcupine Tree care a great deal about whether or not they are prog, while those who like them just like the music for what it is.
    Not really. On the contrary; having a flair for PT seems to be many a self-declared "proghead's" apparent alibi that they can even tolerate something "not so prog" or "something sounding a bit modern". And yes, PT were definitely considered part of the "new prog" thing back in '94, although their music wasn't ever truly challenging or intricate or anything. But neither are the Flower Spocks', so whatever.

My main objection towards PT from here was the fact that every take on the chosen format of theirs - either the songs, the "pieces" or the soundscapes - were pretty much presented to the full by this time. There were no real news to be had from them - better production and musicians perhaps, but never new ideas.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

...although their music wasn't ever truly challenging or intricate or anything.
    Your definition of what constitutes "progressive" music and mine seem to differ.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Suspended
    Not really. On the contrary; having a flair for PT seems to be many a self-declared "proghead's" apparent alibi that they can even tolerate something "not so prog" or "something sounding a bit modern". And yes, PT were definitely considered part of the "new prog" thing back in '94, although their music wasn't ever truly challenging or intricate or anything. But neither are the Flower Spocks', so whatever.

My main objection towards PT from here was the fact that every take on the chosen format of theirs - either the songs, the "pieces" or the soundscapes - were pretty much presented to the full by this time. There were no real news to be had from them - better production and musicians perhaps, but never new ideas.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on how challenging or interesting the music of PT was/is. Regarding "intricate" though, I think Steven Wilson himself said something along the lines of "the music of Porcupine Tree is really rather simple. " That's true of many of the songs when you analyse them; it's the production and attention to detail that makes them interesting.

He also said that PT were basically a rock band - though as time went on he became less uncomfortable with the label "prog".

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Your definition of what constitutes "progressive" music and mine seem to differ.
    But the quote you gave was never meant to serve as any "definition". Where the hell did you get that idea?

The case of progressive music yearning for standards of challenge, however - is rather basic. It doesn't imply the prevailing of technique or fixations on outer trickery, but it does concern the level of layers in the musical expression itself.

Not listened to this for ages! I remember being a tad disappointed when it came out having been obsessed with Up The Downstair for the previous few months...it felt a little too padded out in some respects. Plus I think the Stars Die/Moonloop EP was the real jewel from this period. Still, that opening few minutes of the album is wonderful and seriously atmospheric stuff and it was fun to hear the band revisit the title track a few years ago.

Matt.

First album I got by PT. Have been a fanboy ever since.

Quite boring stuff. I like the most of the Porcupine Tree's music that came BEFORE and AFTER more than this. However I have to say that this material worked much better with full band on live album Coma Divine.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I love this one with Signify and Lightbulb Sun probably rounding out my top three PT records.

(I prefer The Raven and Hand.Cannot.Erase. to all of them, however.)
    The Prog Corner

First one I heard and actually kept me from liking most of their other stuff because I was disappointed they didn't sound like this. Over time I came to love the albums that came after this even more than I love this, but it's still a great album and probably in my top 5 by them. The Floyd influences are pretty blatant here, at least on the title track, but they never disappeared after it.......just were more integrated into the PTree "sound".