Thread: The Underground Railroad

The Underground Railroad

It's been a long while, but I listened to their album "Through and Through" this morning and got goosebumps. That is a good sign. There are moments of genius on that album in my opinion.

Any takers on this band? Do I remember the guitarist (Bill Pohl) moving to Colorado or something? Does Kurt Rongey still work for the classic radio station in Texas? They've always been rather hard to scout out on the net because of another band with the same name, or confusion with the real underground railroad, but... anyone know if any of them are still kicking? I also have their second album, but was wondering if there were any odds at all that further material might emerge.

Bill Pohl is currently working in Thinking Plague now i believe...

Crud, just found this - sorry, I should have searched first. Please dismiss, unless there is any NEW news.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...round-Railroad

Great band! Local boys made good But one question I can answer is that Kurt is no longer with WRR (Dallas' classical music station).

The Pohl input with Thinking Plague will be awesome. You can read more about it in the current ongoing Plague-thread here on page 1 at PE.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love Underground Railroad and agree about the moments of genius. One of my very favorite bands, for sure. Can't wait to hear what transpires between Bill Pohl, Mike Johnson and all of the TP crew.

I was a late bloomer and didn't get my first computer and start web surfing until 2001. Within a month after I did, I learned of the "resurgence" of prog. I'd known about a few bands like Dream Theater and Spock's Beard, but not much else. I went on a bit of a mad buying spree, trying out various prog bands I wasn't previously aware of, new and old. Sorry to say that most of it was disappointing to me, but I did find a few gems and among those, two bands really resonated with me: Kenso and The Underground Railroad.

"Through And Through" was a real revelation for me, it was firmly rooted in the prog of the '70s, but it was also "evolved;" it was pretty much what I had been hoping to find in my search, prog that had shown significant growth three decades after it's inception. The jazz and classical influences were of a more modern variety and the writing was very harmonically sophisticated. The music went through such a wide range of moods from "pretty" pastoral sounds to dense, angular aggressiveness and though these moods would sometimes turn on a dime, it always made sense to me; it didn't have that sound of unrelated sections being pasted together that is evident in so much prog.

Legend has it that originally, "Through And Through" was Kurt Rongey and Bill Pohl conspiring to "make a Genesis" album, but as the endeavor got under way, it morphed into something very different and original (though there are moments where that initial intention comes through). IMHO, Through And Through stands shoulder to shoulder with the greatest classic prog of the '70s and the title track is amongst my short list of the greatest prog epics. Their second effort, "The Origin of Consciousness" is another gem to be savored, although TAT is my favorite amongst the two, maybe because it's a little more varied in mood and texture. TOoC does "rawk" in a more aggressive way though. Hell, if you dig one of those albums, you're pretty much bound to dig the other. The writing and performance (particularly Bill's guitar playing and Kurt's keyboard playing) retains a high level throughout and the band manages to consistently keep a style that they can call their own. Honestly, I would've expected this band to be much more highly rated around here... at least before I discovered that to some extent, prog lovers' tastes have gotten a little more conservative over the years.

Anyway, I'm glad Bill Pohl is joining forces with Thinking Plague and I'm excited to hear the outcome of that merger! But I must admit, I'm sad that The Underground Railroad seems to have been laid to rest.

BTW, if you're a fan, you must check out Kurt Rongey's solo albums, particularly "That Was Propaganda," half of which sounds like an Underground Railroad album (no small thanks to Bill Pohl's participation). Kurt's an amazing composer worthy of much more recognition than he seems to get.

Good band. I saw them twice back in the day. Once at Nearfest and once at Progday. There were moments on the first album that seemed a bit inaccessible to me(especially the sixteen minute track) but I think they were pretty solid over all. I never heard their second album.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I love both their Albums!

I think a third Album was written and at least partly played live but never recorded.

I would join a Kickstarter campaign for that one at once.......

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    There were moments on the first album that seemed a bit inaccessible to me(especially the sixteen minute track) but I think they were pretty solid over all.
    That would be the title track and it's actually just over 20 minutes. I'll admit that it didn't click right away and it took some work to absorb that one, more than I'm usually willing to put in, but there was something intriguing that made me want to keep trying. Now, I'm glad I made the effort, I love it!

These need to be reissued. I never got them and it seems like they are hard to find now. Like many titles I passed because I just couldn't afford to buy everything that enticed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    These need to be reissued. I never got them and it seems like they are hard to find now. Like many titles I passed because I just couldn't afford to buy everything that enticed me.
    Greg Walker and Wayside have the second one:

http://synphonic.8m.com/country/usa.htm
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...ss__LDM04.aspx

I don't see the first one and didn't find it quicky on Amazon either.

Bill

Is Rongey at least still making music? Seems like a lot of talent not to be put towards something...

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Is Rongey at least still making music? Seems like a lot of talent not to be put towards something...
    He actually sat in with Thinking Plague briefly himself some years back, before the recording of the latter's latest album (Decline and Fall). He never appeared with them on any recordings, though. And not on stage either, IIRC.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Underg...s=763232103320

The link above is for Through and Through on Amazon - several cheap copies available. And here's a link for Origin of Consciousness (not so cheap):

http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Conscio...N%3DB000CADBOU

I love Amazon, but their search engine leaves much to be desired.

Peter

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I would join a Kickstarter campaign for that one at once.......
    +1 here. I had an opportunity to hear some of the new material performed live, and can attest to its excellence. Was disappointed to learn that the project at least appears to have been put on hold.

With Through and Through, I remember there are bits that got stuck in my mind for weeks. Bill's cool chorused guitar chords in the quiet spots of "The Comprachicos of the Mind" and how it slowly builds towards the end of the piece. The wall of sound chords in "In The Factory," the soothing chords in "The Doorman," and "Through and Through" with enough memorable moments of its own. Plus, they weren't afraid to get real energetic - or weird!

Interestingly enough, I don't remember anything from the second album, but I'm going to give it another spin this morning- it's also been years since I've heard it.

Pretty cool that some of you got to see them live.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That would be the title track and it's actually just over 20 minutes. I'll admit that it didn't click right away and it took some work to absorb that one, more than I'm usually willing to put in, but there was something intriguing that made me want to keep trying. Now, I'm glad I made the effort, I love it!
    Picked up a copy of Through and Through and must say that the title track is the one that stands out for me after the first listening. I have mixed feelings about the cd, but overall find it to have just enough individuality to make it interesting. I do hear the Genesis in the style coming through every now and then but overall it certainly doesn't sound like a imitation. One thing that I struggled with is the vocals which resemble the vocalist for discipline Mathew Parmenter I believe his name is. I'll have to give this a few listenings and most likely will pick up the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    He actually sat in with Thinking Plague briefly himself some years back, before the recording of the latter's latest album (Decline and Fall). He never appeared with them on any recordings, though. And not on stage either, IIRC.
    Actually Kurt's only ever appeared on stage with TP, when he filled in for me at the RIO festival, which i sadly couldn't make. And also a handful of gigs before that show in preparation for the festival.

Btw, i second Ernie's recommedation of Kurt's solo albums as well as the Xen albums he made with David Bagsby. Excellent in every way

The Underground Railroad is one of my favourite bands and it is sad to know they're no more. That said, Bill is killing it in TP and the new material is surely going to fry brains with it's loveliness and intensity. Personally, i can't wait!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yep. That's the one. I guess I'm a bit inpatient sometimes when it comes to music. Anyway, someone explained to me once that you need to understand 20th century music(I assume he meant 20th century classical)in order to fully appreciate it and see where they were coming from. Regardless, Underground Railroad aren't your typical symph prog band and they definitely aren't neo.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Bill is killing it in TP and the new material is surely going to fry brains with it's loveliness and intensity. Personally, i can't wait!
    Woohoo! I look forward to opening the package, putting the cd in the player, turning up the volume, and soaking in the greatness...

And I'll be sure to have my shoes off for when it officially blows my socks off (With 'Decline and Fall' they landed somewhere distant and took me a week to locate)

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Woohoo! I look forward to opening the package, putting the cd in the player, turning up the volume, and soaking in the greatness...

And I'll be sure to have my shoes off for when it officially blows my socks off (With 'Decline and Fall' they landed somewhere distant and took me a week to locate)
    Glad you like Decline and Fall, Bill! I know you'll dig Mike's new stuff. There is some wonderful dual guitar interplay which will be a new texture for TP. I'm quite excited by what I've heard.