Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you collect everything with bands/artists you really like

example: i don't have to own everything that has the name “MARiLLiON” on it. i stick to the regular studio albums and the occasional live release when it makes sense (eg. encapsulating an era, [mix of] material previously unavailable). i don't buy every dvd and i have never visited a fan convention. with archival releases now thwarting the proportions to actual/original material available many purchases are simply not within my economic thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    The size of the artist's discography is much more of a factor than how much I like them. It's easy to be a completist for, say, a My Bloody Valentine, Univers Zero, or even Henry Threadgill. Being a completist for someone like Anthony Braxton or John Zorn is a much tougher task and it would be completely ridiculous to even want to own that much music from any one artist.
    ^
    This. For example I'm a big Chick Corea fan and have 15 of his albums, but that's probably not even half of his output. Besides, he has a few stinkers... and I think that's bound to happen with any band/artist who's that prolific. Even with some that are pretty consistent, you just get tired of that sound eventually. At least I do. If it's a band that I really like that only has about 7 studio albums (like The Dixie Dregs), sure, I'll be a completist. But generally, I'm not.

I used to be that way with Yes. But there are only so many live albums, reissues, and compilations I need.

That goes for a lot of bands I like. I still tend to be a completist as far as studio albums go, but I don't feel compelled to buy every live album and compilation.

i agree its the same for me nowadays,all studio albums and the live albums i like the most, thats enough.
    back in the days i could buy compilations ,because there was 1 new song on it,that never happens nowadays

I'm a completist for some artists, like Hoelderlin, Novalis, Bap, Heinz Rudolf Kunze and several others. Don't own everything by Bap and Heinz Rudolf Kunze, but I try.
    I have everything by Hoelderlin, including most songs by Ina Deter on which the group played.

Buying stuff I don’t need with money I don’t have to impress people I hardly know and then wallowing in buyer’s remorse – been there & got the t-shirt.

These days, the only artist I collect every known recording of is the John Coltrane Quartet, possibly the best group to have ever graced Planet of Earth. Even the most crappy bootleg of the JCQ is sublime.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Financially there's no way I could own all the official Crimson and Zappa music available. I do own all the official UK CD's though.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I tend to. I've owned every Yes studio album and every Genesis up to Invisible Touch, every Tull album up to Broadsword and a few later ones, every Dylan album up to Desire, most Beatles and every Firesign Theatre album. If an artist puts out good albums why not have them all.

I was that way with Yes - and then I bought Magnification. Couldn't enjoy ONE thing on it, no matter HOW much or often I tried. I felt strange trading it in - but have never looked back.

No.

Only certain rare artists. I will purchase anything released by Tony Banks and Dave Stewart, because I know there will be something that will move me. I think going forward this will be true of Advent as well, because I know how much Henry Ptak puts into his compositions. And I think it will be generally true of Thinking Plague, Glass Hammer, Steve Hackett and The High Llamas. It used to be the case with Anthony Phillips, but I didn't get his last one as the last few haven't really done it for me like his earlier albums. And I didn't get (and haven't even heard) the last Yes or Flower Kings albums-(wasn't too keen on 'Banks of Eden')

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've got Relics, Nice Pair, Works, Dance Songs, Echoes. I'm missing Pulse, should probably get it at some stage.
    Got them all but Works.. A friend let me borrow the album and I thought there was no need for it. Would be richer if I wasnt a completionist for years...MUST... NOT... GET... WORKS!!!

Works also has a studio recording of The Embryo.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Works also has a studio recording of The Embryo.
    I was in my Floyd completist stage when I bought it purely for The Embryo
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Me, too.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like