Thread: AAJ Interview: Steven Wilson: Intuitive Indulgences and Pop Proclivities

AAJ Interview: Steven Wilson: Intuitive Indulgences and Pop Proclivities

My new interview with Steven Wilson, okay at All About Jazz.

The trajectory of Steven Wilson's career, since stepping away from his longtime band Porcupine Tree to go solo, has been nothing short of remarkable. Since interviewing him in 2012 for the release of Get All You Deserve (Kscope, 2012)--an audio and video document of his world tour in support of Grace for Drowning (Kscope, 2011), his second solo album following 2009's Insurgentes (Kscope)--Wilson has released a third studio recording, 2013's The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) (Kscope) and, following yet another world tour, the EP Drive Home (Kscope, 2014), a collection of single edits, alternate versions and live tracks. All this, in addition to continuing his work as a surround and stereo remixer of not just classic prog now, but also pop groups like XTC, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds and Roxy Music.

But it's not the volume of his accomplishments that is remarkable; if anything, Wilson has simplified his life in recent years by focusing on just these two things (as if that's not enough). What's most extraordinary has been the continued, increasing success of his solo career. That The Raven has become not just the biggest selling album since he's gone solo but the biggest selling album of his entire career is almost paradoxical to its old school, hardcore progressive rock nature.

"I was as surprised as anyone that The Raven did as well as it did. That was a willfully uncommercial move. It had absolutely nothing on it that was even remotely acceptable to the mainstream, and yet it's become the most successful album of my whole career; it's the best-selling record I've ever done. It's extraordinary. And what that tells me is: the more self-indulgent and willful I am, the more likely the album is to appeal," says Wilson, chuckling. "It almost gives me license to keep doing my thing. Not that I'm capable of anything else, but it's still nice that it can have some appeal beyond just the hardcore fans.

Continue reading here...

Once again, a great interview. I realized as I was reading how the music developed with all the styles in his head, he's one guy I actually experience more than listen to. I don't buy his music to be entertained so much as I buy an experience, like going to an art museum. What am I going to learn this trip? Interesting. Say what you will about the music on the album, which I haven't heard in total yet, he's no poser. Cheers, great article.

Ps
    Was glad to hear about the guitar and drum chair changes for NA. I was super curious about that. Especially the drums. I didn't see the Wackerman shows, but can only imagine how it changed the energy of the band as he indicated. Nothing at all about chads chops, he's a beast, just didn't feel like a good replacement for minnemann. So glad to hear the new guys feels better. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Once again, a great interview. I realized as I was reading how the music developed with all the styles in his head, he's one guy I actually experience more than listen to. I don't buy his music to be entertained so much as I buy an experience, like going to an art museum. What am I going to learn this trip? Interesting. Say what you will about the music on the album, which I haven't heard in total yet, he's no poser. Cheers, great article.

Ps
    Was glad to hear about the guitar and drum chair changes for NA. I was super curious about that. Especially the drums. I didn't see the Wackerman shows, but can only imagine how it changed the energy of the band as he indicated. Nothing at all about chads chops, he's a beast, just didn't feel like a good replacement for minnemann. So glad to hear the new guys feels better. We shall see.
    Thanks for the kind words....as ever!
    John

Ps
    Saw Wackerman with SW. I was absolutely blown away. Think they are a as good a match as Marco/SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Saw Wackerman with SW. I was absolutely blown away. Think they are a as good a match as Marco/SW.
    If you read the interview, as much as Wilsonrespects Wackerman, he doesn't feel he's the right fit for the band.a fair enough statement as he's looking for something very specific.

Wackerman is amazing no question. In the interview Wilson said he changed the sound of the whole band, I didn't see Wackerman, saw minnemann. Just an interesting set of comments from wilson.

Thanks, John.

It's good to know that SW acknowledges that his solo stuff is heavily influenced by what he's doing in the remix world (King Crimson --> GfD/Raven, XTC & TfF --> H.C.E.)

And I didn't know that Raven was his best selling album ever. That's pretty amazing, and I like how he says "the more self-indulgent and willful I am, the more likely the album is to appeal"... that's pretty cool.

I haven't heard the new one yet so I can't judge, but I'm encouraged that he's realized that following his personal muse is the best path for him, no matter where it leads. Personally I've always thought Wilson was a brilliant pop writer, ever since stuff like "Nine Cats" and "Fadeaway", so I'm not concerned that H.C.E. pulls him back in that direction.

But when he says H.C.E. is his first concept album with a complete narrative isn't he (willfully) forgetting about The Incident? I know that release was more than that one collection of songs, but it was basically a record unto itself (and was performed that way).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Does anyone know roughly how many copies The Raven sold??? I often wonder if we will see a full document(DVD) of The Raven tour instead of just the teaser that was released..

Wackerman is amazing no question. In the interview Wilson said he changed the sound of the whole band, I didn't see Wackerman, saw minnemann. Just an interesting set of comments from wilson.
    Yup. Totally respectful of Wackerman. That a musician doesn't fit well with the leader's vision of what he wants things to be is a fair enough observation, and is not a criticism, just a statement of fact. Jerry Garcia was a great guitarist but I don't think he'd have fit well with Steven Wilson either

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Thanks, John.

It's good to know that SW acknowledges that his solo stuff is heavily influenced by what he's doing in the remix world (King Crimson --> GfD/Raven, XTC & TfF --> H.C.E.)

And I didn't know that Raven was his best selling album ever. That's pretty amazing, and I like how he says "the more self-indulgent and willful I am, the more likely the album is to appeal"... that's pretty cool.

I haven't heard the new one yet so I can't judge, but I'm encouraged that he's realized that following his personal muse is the best path for him, no matter where it leads. Personally I've always thought Wilson was a brilliant pop writer, ever since stuff like "Nine Cats" and "Fadeaway", so I'm not concerned that H.C.E. pulls him back in that direction.

But when he says H.C.E. is his first concept album with a complete narrative isn't he (willfully) forgetting about The Incident? I know that release was more than that one collection of songs, but it was basically a record unto itself (and was performed that way).
    Yes, but I don't think he considers it in terms of an integrated musical and lyrical narrative, with repeating themes and all, the way HCE is.

chalkpie
    That's a great interview John. You're a very talented writer and I like the interesting directions of the questions for him.

I can kind of see that SW would want a replacement that is similar to Minneman - he is like a modern day "Terry Bozzio" - totally frenetic at times but grooves like a motherfucker!! Both Minneman and Bozzio remind me of Animal from the Muppets. Chad is more of a 'pocket' technician and gets down to business without going off the deep-end in the way that Minneman would. Chad though has a mastery in some scenarios that is hard to better - some of my favorite CW playing is on "Drowning Witch" - solo number one in 9/8; its almost like a 9/8 prog reggae groove and it is so damn amazing you can't even describe its brilliance in words. He also plays on the tune that is my screen name here at PE I'm sure this Blundell cat is gonna tear some ass.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That's a great interview John. You're a very talented writer and I like the interesting directions of the questions for him.
    Thanks, man; that's very kind of you. The truth is: it's easy when the subject is someone as articulate as Wilson, who really does know exactly what he's doing...in so many ways. He's an admirable guy, beyond the music. And, for a cat whose star is definitely on the ascendance, he's remained totally down to earth and "normal." A real treat to interview.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I can kind of see that SW would want a replacement that is similar to Minneman - he is like a modern day "Terry Bozzio" - totally frenetic at times but grooves like a motherfucker!! Both Minneman and Bozzio remind me of Animal from the Muppets. Chad is more of a 'pocket' technician and gets down to business without going off the deep-end in the way that Minneman would. Chad though has a mastery in some scenarios that is hard to better - some of my favorite CW playing is on "Drowning Witch" - solo number one in 9/8; its almost like a 9/8 prog reggae groove and it is so damn amazing you can't even describe its brilliance in words. He also plays on the tune that is my screen name here at PE I'm sure this Blundell cat is gonna tear some ass.
    I'd say you're right on this one. And the guitarist will also kick ass, of that I'm sure too!
    Best!
    John

Excellent, as always, John. Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Excellent, as always, John. Thanks!
    Thanks, Scott!