Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckingham-Nicks reissue - not likely

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Buckingham-Nicks reissue - not likely

I know there are some fans of this album here at PE who'd swipe this up in a minute if it ever got a proper CD release (not a Russian bootleg). I've always found it inexplicable that this album never saw a CD release, given Fleetwood Mac's runaway success in the '70s and '80s. Especially when you consider that dozens of classic rock albums have been reissued on CD two and three times over in the last 12 years. It has big-name recognition value and the with the 40th anniversary right around the corner, you'd think that it'd be a savvy move to finally reissue this on CD (maybe with some extra pics from that album cover photo shoot ).

Buckingham-Nicks.jpg
    Buckingham-Nicks 2.jpg

According to Rolling Stone magazine, among the many things Buckingham and Nicks currently disagree upon, one of them is whether or not to reissue their lone album as a couple (pre-Fleetwood Mac) self-titled Buckingham-Nicks (1973). Nicks says she'd like to commemorate the upcoming anniversary of that release with a reissue, reformation of that band and a tour. Buckingham says its "economic suicide" though the article isn't clear whether he means the album, a tour, or both. Oddly enough, or rather I should say typically enough, he's perturbed at Nicks because she doesn't want to release a new FM album. He says there are 8 new tunes from he and the boys (Fleetwood, McVie) waiting for Nick's to lay down vox and whatever else she might add, but she'd rather not, citing that "Nobody is interested in albums these days".
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 12-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I wouldn't bust a nut over it or anything but it's a good album and I'd definitely buy it if it ever got a proper release. It's certainly the only thing ever associated with Piggy Nicks I can tolerate.

I too would buy this if they re-released it, and like trurl, I like it better than anything she's croaked since.

Bucky has some good songs on that album.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

meimjustalawnmower
    I have the vinyl, as well as my own home-made CD featuring artwork an inserts that would fool the naked eye. It looks and sounds great. I don't know what's really keeping this thing from getting an official release, and I've stopped caring. Everybody in Fleetwood Mac is a qualified nutjob.

"Frozen Love" is as good or better than anything either of them has done since, and I'd buy an official release in a heartbeat. I can take or leave the rest. I'd love a better rip of this than the one I've downloaded.

Maybe Lindsey & Stevie can make a deal - she gets to put this out, and he gets some vox from her.
    Buster

"tonal poems of an aesthetic value, not intended for dancing, sexual stimulation, or selling sneakers" - Stuart Mutner

Banned
    The full album is up on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    I have the vinyl, as well as my own home-made CD featuring artwork an inserts that would fool the naked eye. It looks and sounds great. I don't know what's really keeping this thing from getting an official release, and I've stopped caring. Everybody in Fleetwood Mac is a qualified nutjob.
    I thought John and/or Christine McVie seemed fairly normal. Or is that only in relative terms? I think nowadays Stevie Nicks is the only one still a bit "hello trees hello sky".

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I thought John and/or Christine McVie seemed fairly normal. Or is that only in relative terms? I think nowadays Stevie Nicks is the only one still a bit "hello trees hello sky".
    Christine seems to have come out of it all relatively unscathed (though sadly it killed her interest in music), but wasn't John struggling with addiction issues even recently?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Christine seems to have come out of it all relatively unscathed (though sadly it killed her interest in music), but wasn't John struggling with addiction issues even recently?
    Haven't you heard? Christine wants to rejoin the band. Apparently, life in the English countryside is not all it's cracked up to be.

Christine Perfect/McVie has recently said in interviews she's regained interest in music. Unfortunately John McVie has recently been diagnosed with cancer.

I don't know what it is with this band. For all the success, a black cloud has seemed to follow them around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Christine Perfect/McVie has recently said in interviews she's regained interest in music. Unfortunately John McVie has recently been diagnosed with cancer.

I don't know what it is with this band. For all the success, a black cloud has seemed to follow them around.
    Again, someone's behind on their Fleetwood Mac news. Fleetwood Mac just played a show the other night. Apparently, John is doing better.

They are a much better band with Christine, whose vocals do a hell of a lot more for me than the croaking frog (who is NOT LB).

I'm guessing that she really does want to write and perform again, since she's probably made enough money to retire on her "Don't Stop" composition alone thanks to Willy & Hilly.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    They are a much better band with Christine, whose vocals do a hell of a lot more for me than the croaking frog (who is NOT LB).
    LOL, I agree with you there, Geez! I do like Stevie's voice on the original recordings from the '70s, but drugs have ruined her voice. I love Chris's bluesy delivery. Plus, I dig chicks that can tickle the ivories and play a mean organ.

They are a much better band with Christine, whose vocals do a hell of a lot more for me than the braying goat (who is NOT LB).
    Fixed.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Fixed.
    Just as valid!

Christine McVie had one of the funniest videos ever, for Love Will Show Us How. The whole thing lampooned all the idiotic cliches of music videos, with Paul Bartel playing a pretentious video director who thinks that "our video will be loaded with symbolism". And whadaya know, here it is on Youtube:

Banned
    Christine had the good sense to not burn a hole in her nose with that white stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Again, someone's behind on their Fleetwood Mac news.
    Well there *are* other things going on in the world.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    That Christine McVie-video above is hilarious, if not only for the waste of money. This must have been the most expensive 80s-clip in terms of revenue (0%). I've never even heard of the song.

Great thread by the way. Learned many things! (Chris back, John better, Nicks using cocaine - oh, wait, I knew that!)

Not an FM fan, although I did see them while they were pretty popular in 1980 or so in NYC at the Garden

Lots of hate for Stevie here!

415px-StevieNicks2.jpg

I dunno man, this was apparently taken in 2009, post the big 6-0

I hope all your girls are keeping it as together!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Christine McVie had one of the funniest videos ever, for Love Will Show Us How. The whole thing lampooned all the idiotic cliches of music videos, with Paul Bartel playing a pretentious video director who thinks that "our video will be loaded with symbolism". And whadaya know, here it is on Youtube:

Reminds me a bit on the video for Deep Purple - Call of the wild.

OK. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to defend Stevie Nicks! There, I said it! Without her, there wouldn't have been that Buckingham Nicks LP and the first few "hit" Fleetwood Mac records. I love the S/T one and Rumours. Tusk even has some good stuff on it. She has written one of the best bittersweet love songs of all time: "Silver Spring". For that song alone, she should remain unsullied. Yeah, she didn't handle her fame well and is somewhat of a loon, but not many 70's rockers escaped that fate! OK! Now you can all pile on!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    That Christine McVie-video above is hilarious, if not only for the waste of money. This must have been the most expensive 80s-clip in terms of revenue (0%). I've never even heard of the song.
    Oh I'm sure there are examples that were a bigger "waste of money". Pat Metheny, Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Al Jerreau, Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond all made videos in the early 80's, but other than HBO's Video Jukebox program (which, at the time of it's launch, was actually reaching more viewers than MTV), I'm not sure there were many outlets for airplay before the advent of VH-1 (and even then, VH-1 relegated most of the good stuff to their late night weekend New Visions program).

I think I read once that Metheny himself even admitting that him making videos was "the biggest waste of time of money", perhaps because there wasn't much market for videos for jazz oriented artists, plus the fact that the people you meet who were in people like him weren't the kind of folks who sat around in front of the TV watching dumb clips made by dumb "auteur" wannabees, in hopes that they'd get a glimpse of the new Metheny or Ponty clip.

No problem with Stevie Nicks, but IMHO a little goes a long way- same with Lindsay Buckingham. Christine McVie's 'poppier' tunes were necessary on their albums to balance out the stylistic quirks of the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    OK. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to defend Stevie Nicks! There, I said it! Without her, there wouldn't have been that Buckingham Nicks LP and the first few "hit" Fleetwood Mac records. I love the S/T one and Rumours. Tusk even has some good stuff on it. She has written one of the best bittersweet love songs of all time: "Silver Spring". For that song alone, she should remain unsullied. Yeah, she didn't handle her fame well and is somewhat of a loon, but not many 70's rockers escaped that fate! OK! Now you can all pile on!
    No problem with Nicks here, although for me Buckingham is by far the strongest songwriter in the band. Still, Nicks has had her moments with "Siver Spring" being a great example.

Steve Sly