Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overlooked New Wave bands

Fiat Lux

I'm surprised these guys didn't make it in the first half of the 80s when the New Romantics thing was going on. I never even heard of them until several months ago. Apparently Bill Nelson's brother was in the band.

I had Fiat Lux on tape and listened to it many times, while waiting for a good CD-version. I believe that never happened.
    I'm glad someone made me a great compilation-album with a lot of their songs.

^ Yeah, no CD, and no LPs either. Everything spread across several EPs and singles.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Fiat Lux

I'm surprised these guys didn't make it in the first half of the 80s when the New Romantics thing was going on. I never even heard of them until several months ago. Apparently Bill Nelson's brother was in the band.
    The latter seems right according this nice site: http://www.hiredhistory.co.uk/the_band.htm
    Apparently Ian Nelson died in 2006 at the age of 50.

I'm just listening to the fine compilation I mentioned and some of the music reminds me of the Danish De-Film:

What happened to Peter G? Has he changed his name again?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I have some Fiat Lux on coloured vinyl - I must dig it out!

Possibly stretching the notion of "new wave", but back in the day I liked Swans Way a lot - especially the great single "Soul Train." It was this performance on The Tube that first brought them to our attention: https://youtu.be/mdv2onk-UZY (warning - very poor sound quality - but great performance!)

^ definite stretching the definition, but I loved this single too, and have the original vinyl. I'll dig it out and spin it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Possibly stretching the notion of "new wave", but back in the day I liked Swans Way a lot - especially the great single "Soul Train." It was this performance on The Tube that first brought them to our attention: https://youtu.be/mdv2onk-UZY (warning - very poor sound quality - but great performance!)
    Played the Swans Way LP "The Fugitive Kind" very often and was glad it was released on CD by Cherry Pop a couple of years ago.
    Of course the CD couldn't replace the wonderful LP-album cover, but it has some nice sleeve notes with the history of the band plus some bonus tracks.
    Favorite track is "Stay".

Here's a full concert:

Last edited by interbellum; 11-13-2016 at 06:48 AM.

For me, the 2nd greatest 80's release is/was the Chameleons: Script of the Bridge, it remains a simply flawless release of dark, moody swirling guitars, it was a very unrated release. (Greatest release IMO was JD: Unknown Pleasures).

Another super obscure 80's release that flew under most everyone's radar was The Wild Swans: Bringing Home the Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    For me, the 2nd greatest 80's release is/was the Chameleons: Script of the Bridge, it remains a simply flawless release of dark, moody swirling guitars, it was a very unrated release.
    I never could fathom why The Chameleons could not reach a wider audience, they had everything that their more successful counterparts had. Script For A Bridge is a terrific album indeed.

Let's Active
    The Motels
    Echo & Bunnymen
    The Ruts
    The Connells
    Mission of Burma
    Missing Persons
    Men at Work
    Berlin
    The Plimsouls
    The Raincoats
    Young Marble Giants
    The Motors
    Bram Tchaikovsky
    Shoes
    Graham Parker
    James White & The Blacks
    The Contortions
    The Pop Group
    Au Pairs
    The Slits
    The Fall
    Cocteau Twins
    Eyeless in Gaza
    Fad Gadget

Cocteau Twins - The Fall - The Slits - The Pop Group - Echo & the Bunnymen... "overlooked"???

The Motors - Graham Parker (& the Rumour) - Bram Tchaikovsky...all pre-punk pub rockers

The Ruts...punk

As for Men at Work...!!!

Still, thanks for taking the time to share a list!

I'm sure somebody(s) will find fault with whether these are overlooked or are New Wave, but just for fun, here's a few not on the list:

Tuxedomoon
    MX-80 Sound
    Japan
    Red Noise
    The Modern Lovers

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Last year Party by The Tapes was released on CD: https://www.discogs.com/The-Tapes-Pa...lease/12980312

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

And was Sad Lovers & Giants mentions already?
    Sad Lovers & Giants are still active. Last year they released a new album, called Mission Creep, while Cherry Red Records brought out a nice 5-CD box-set in 2017m called Where The Light Shines Through 1981-2017: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...7-5cd-box-set/

Has the Spizz canon been mentioned yet? “Where’s Captain Kirk?” is the song everyone mentions, likely more due to the pop-culture reference than any quality, but I vastly prefer the Athletico Spizz 80 album, Do a Runner. First-rate art punk.

I personally think that The Tourists and Eurythmics are distinct personalities. For one, The Tourists were largely [the late] Peet Coombes’ baby. For another, their styles were quite different; the Tourists being more of a power-pop act (roughly Blondie mixed with the Cars). On a slightly different tangent, more people need to hear Eurythmics’ Conny Plank-produced debut, In the Garden. A curious mix of minimalist compositions mixed with maximalist arrangements. There sure aren’t enough Annie Lennox flute solos on later albums! And just look at the cast of characters that played on this record!

For some reason I feel compelled to mention Combo Audio, despite the fact that they only had one great song. Maybe because it was, I repeat, a great song:

There’s also Hilary, who only ever released the one four-track EP, but I can vouch for it being good from start to finish. Here’s a taste:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Last year Party by The Tapes was released on CD
    Still one of the very few releases from that decade that I can listen to.

No mention that I can see of the Only Ones. The band was prone to self-destruction but the second album, 'Even Serpents Shine', is a classic (although, admittedly, a bit bleak). Guitarist John Perry is one of the unsung greats in my opinion.
    Last edited by Munster; 10-07-2019 at 04:16 AM.

The Edge from 1980 with Glyn Havard (Jade Warrior), Jon Moss (Culture Club) and Lu Edmonds (The Damned, PIL).

http://jazzrocksoul.com/artists/the-edge/

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    No mention that I can see of the Only Ones. The band was prone to self-destruction but the second album, 'Even Serpents Shine', is a classic (although, admittedly, a bit bleak). Guitarist John Perry is one of the unsung greats in my opinion.
    I have the first one on CD. I didn’t even know there was a second. I remember picking the disc up on the strength of the singled “Holiday” and “We Are What We Are.” Overall, kind of B-52s-lite.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Clan of Xymox were pretty cool...

Their first release is nearly better than EVERY New Order album...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have the first one on CD. I didn’t even know there was a second. I remember picking the disc up on the strength of the singled “Holiday” and “We Are What We Are.” Overall, kind of B-52s-lite.
    I think you are referring to The Other Ones, a German-Australian band. The Only Ones were from England, produced three albums and had a minor hit with 'Another Girl, Another Planet'. They were not B-52s-lite in any shape or form! The excesses of their lead singer/second guitarist rival those of Keith Richards.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***