Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overlooked New Wave bands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The Tourists
    Arcadia
    Those are basically Eurythmics and Duran Duran, respectively, in everything but name, so I'm not sure if they're that "forgotten".
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Those are basically Eurythmics and Duran Duran, respectively, in everything but name
    Your username is ThomasKDye and you live in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    Even though they were on the Factory Records label, and even though they were originally a punk band before they recorded their first record, I have problems classifying Durutti Column as "new wave" along the lines of the rest of the list above.

They (i.e. -- Vini Reilly) are definitely art rock, or better yet, a new wave of art rock.

Sorry, but I'm really not interested in discussing what is and what isn't New Wave. In the UK, in 78, if you weren't playing 1-2-3- punk or mainstream pop, then you were New Wave, regardless of musical style. And back then Durutti Column was very much part of our New Wave scene. And most New Wave bands were playing some sort of post-punk, art rock, avantgarde rock anyway.
    Last edited by PeterG; 02-27-2015 at 04:30 AM.

Punishment of Luxury(or Punilux to their fans)

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post

Love that someone mentioned Red 7 by the way....
    Nice to see that Mike Rutherford wrote a small liner-note for the sleeve of "When The Sun Goes Down..." after he produced their first album and played some bass on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_7

I still love Silent Running and their debut "Shades Of Liberty".
    Apparently Cherry Red is trying to release this album on CD (see: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Silen...85948181560995), although I do have a CD-version from 2013, published by Lost 80s Record Company in a nice digipack. For me this Peter Walsh-production combined all the best elements of early U2 and Simple Minds.

Martha and the Muffins
    This Canadian band has been re-releasing a couple of their albums through Pledge. Next year will see the first release on CD from "The World Is A Ball" (featuring Tony Levin).
    "This Is The Ice Age" is my favourite.

Sorry, but I'm really not interested in discussing what is and what isn't New Wave. In the UK, in 78, if you weren't playing 1-2-3- punk or mainstream pop, then you were New Wave, regardless of musical style. And back then Durutti Column was very much part of our New Wave scene. And most New Wave bands were playing some sort of post-punk, art rock, avantgarde rock anyway.
    Whether or not forgotten, whether New Wave or Post-Punk, that period from 1978 – 1983 was really fruitful. Great thread, PeterG.

I’ve been putting off getting this tome about that whole scene, but it’s supposed to be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Up-Start-A...26+start+again
    "Dem GlŁcklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I forgot about Random Hold. I have one of their albums (The View From Here), but that song is not on it.

Someone else already mentioned Strange Advance, who were like the CanCon version of Ultravox. Definitely check out their Worlds Away album if you havenít, itís a real gem of 80s synth.

It always falls on me, though, to mention Dane Conoverís Trees. His Sleep Convention album is just one great synth-pop tune after another, and is very much worth searching out (I never saw another copy after I found mine in a dollar bin):
    Good goofy 80s fun, that.
    "Dem GlŁcklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post

Here are the Suburban Lawns, playing "Janitor":

It is said that Demosthenes practiced oratory with pebbles in his mouth. This young lady apparently used that technique to practice singing. However, someone should have told her to take the pebbles out before the performance. Of course, it is all irrelative. Oh, my genital!
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Suspended
    Sorry, but I'm really not interested in discussing what is and what isn't New Wave.
    Tough. If you initiate a thread with a list of bands you claim to be New Wave, you're already discussing it, so others are entitled to do the same. If you didn't want a discussion about labels, you could have just called the thread "bands that seeem to have been forgotten".

The Dutch band Mecano and its spinoff Flue made great impression on me.

The first two words in the former line was actually a New Wave band too b.t.w.: https://nl-nl.facebook.com/thedutchband

And was Sad Lovers & Giants mentions already?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I forgot about Random Hold. I have one of their albums (The View From Here), but that song is not on it.

Someone else already mentioned Strange Advance, who were like the CanCon version of Ultravox. Definitely check out their Worlds Away album if you havenít, itís a real gem of 80s synth.
    I only got The Distance Between, mainly because I saw it in a shop somewhere in the late 80s and notice Allan Holdsworth was playing on it. I thought someone was making a joke, but I actually liked the album.

Our Daughters Wedding
    November Group

I used to see both of these bands at City Gardens in Trenton back in the day while doing the New Wave shimmy with the too-cool-for-the-room girls. I don't know how popular they were outside of the Mid-Atlantic area.

Last edited by The Gak Omek; 02-27-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The Dutch band Mecano and its spinoff Flue made great impression on me.
    There's a new Mecano released this month, called Unlimited. I guess it's their last one.
    I just noticed they did have a crowdfunding campaign, but that wasn't successful, probably because it was through a not very well known site (at least outside The Netherlands).

Polyrock - Phillip Glass played on a couple of tracks

There are a bunch of 4AD bands that were well known enough,
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    ďA Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot ReadĒ - Unknown

It's possible that some people may not know - but if it is common knowledge, forgive me for stating the obvious...

Random Hold were produced (or at least their lp The View from Here was) by Peter Hammill. I seem to recall that RH keyboardist David Ferguson also guested on a PH lp from the time...possibly A Black Box.

The View from Here was a great record - I'll have to have a rummage & see whether I still own it...

Would Anne Clark count?

And how about The Nits?
    Though I don't think they are really overlooked.

Cactus World News
    Royal Chord of China

Did someone mention these?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar

Although Top-40-ish, I always thought Animotion was a good band although their sound is signature 80s and probably why they are in the "Forgotten" pile.............

Banned

Classix Nouveau
    Urban Verbs (featuring Roddy Frantz, brother of Chris Frantz from Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club.)
    Dramatis (basically Gary Numan's band without Gary Numan.)

The Tapes. Nice call, rcarlberg.

Any love for The Monochrome Set around here?
    Prog's Not Dead

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The Tapes. Nice call, rcarlberg.
    TMK never released on CD, sadly.