Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt joins Steve Hackett touring band

Roine Stolt joins Steve Hackett touring band

http://www.prog-sphere.com/news/roin...upcoming-tour/

Prog visionary Steve Hackett has announced the addition of multi-talented guitarist Roine Stolt to his tour line-up. Stolt, known as leading light of the Flower Kings and for his association with Transatlantic, will play bass and twelve string, occasionally also joining Steve on guitar.

The legendary ex-Genesis guitarist commented: “I’m really pleased that Roine Stolt will be joining the band for the autumn shows on bass, twelve string and for some songs doubling on electric guitar with me. Roine is a truly impressive and versatile player and I particularly like his work with other bands and artists. I have enjoyed playing with him live on more than one occasion and I’m thrilled he’s going to join the team. It’s marvellous to have both Swedish talents Roine Stolt and Nad Sylvan as part of the band for these Hackett solo/Genesis Revisited shows.”

Hackett, who releases new album Wolflight on 30th March, will bring his Acolyte To Wolflight with Genesis Revisited Tour to the UK in October 2015 with 19 shows. Each performance will feature two sets, one of solo material and one of Genesis Revisited. The first will cover a vast part of Steve’s discography, with a selection of solo material from early albums including Voyage of the Acolyte & Please Don’t Touch right up to Wolflight; the second set will see Nad Sylvan take care of the vocals on the Genesis material.

The complete line-up for the tour will include Roger King on keyboards, Gary O’Toole on drums, Rob Townsend on sax, Roine Stolt on bass & 12 string guitar, Nad Sylvan on vocals and Steve Hackett on guitar and vocals. Vocalist/guitarist Amanda Lehmann will join some of the shows as special guest.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Exciting news! Wonder when Stolt last played bass live?

Great news! Really hoping this tour is a great success.

Even though he played a lot (if not most) of the bass parts on FK albums until Jonas Reingold joined, I don't think he's ever played bass live.
    Seems like a waste of talent to have him play mostly bass and 12-string.

Doesn't look like there's much happening with the FK at the moment. Only visible activity from Roine is Kaipa Da Capo, his alliance with the original Kaipa rhythm section which also includes his brother (and former FK bassiste) Michael Stolt on rhythm guitar.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Wow, I didn't see that coming!

I believe Kaipa de Capo is working on new material as well? Pretty sure Roine has some other stuff in the works too.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-25-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    <sig out of order>

I'm assuming this is because Beggs will be on tour with Wilson.

Would be great if he did the vocals as well. He's obviously not the greatest singer out there but I would still rather listen to him than Nad again.

Remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Would be great if he did the vocals as well. He's obviously not the greatest singer out there but I would still rather listen to him than Nad again.

Remember this?

I like Nad's voice especially in AOM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Haven't we had enough of the Revisted? Cmon now. I'd rather have all HACKETT or at least most Hackett. But 50% of the set reserved for the cow that continues to be milked ?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Haven't we had enough of the Revisted? Cmon now. I'd rather have all HACKETT or at least most Hackett. But 50% of the set reserved for the cow that continues to be milked ?
    I've made this point before but at least he's coming out with a new album.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Nad- "Hey Steve! I've got an idea...."

chalkpie
    Is his name really Nad?

Great news!

Intriguing. This will surely help ticket sales, and is going to round out the live sound considerably. I like Roine's singing, personally. He's got a Wetton-ish sort of delivery that could be great in this context. Nice move, Steve.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Well it's not just Steve. I saw the Mike and the Mechanics tour poster and they have 'GENESIS' in big letters on it...though they won't be doing 'Supper's Ready', I guess!

Good for Roine.

So don't go. He needs to put butts in seats. The guy needs to make a living and if lovingly playing classic Genesis songs along with solo material is needed to accomplish that then I say give him a break.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is his name really Nad?
    No, that's just a stage name.

His name is Christopher Stewart. Although I think he may have changed to Sylvan as a surname, since that's from his mother's side of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    No, that's just a stage name.

His name is Christopher Stewart. Although I think he may have changed to Sylvan as a surname, since that's from his mother's side of the family.
    Really? Isn't he Swedish?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You can read Nad's whole story on his web site. It's pretty interesting, actually.

Personally, I think having Roine on stage is sort of complicating things unnecessarily , though I'm sure it will work better than I imagine. I just could rarely ever tell what the heck Daniel Gildenlow was doing when he was on stage with TFK.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Really? Isn't he Swedish?
    Yes. Well, half-Swedish -- his father was American, but Nad was raised in Sweden.

I'll echo what JKL2000 says. Nad's story is on his website, and it is an interesting read. I recommend it.

http://www.nadsylvan.com/#!bio/c1tyi

Personally I love Nad's voice, and Roine is one of my top 5 favorite musicians operating today period. To see both of them together with Hackett would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You can read Nad's whole story on his web site. It's pretty interesting, actually.

Personally, I think having Roine on stage is sort of complicating things unnecessarily , though I'm sure it will work better than I imagine. I just could rarely ever tell what the heck Daniel Gildenlow was doing when he was on stage with TFK.
    Yes, bass players always complicate the music, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Sounds pretty good to me

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yes, bass players always complicate the music, lol.
    I meant more in regards to the band dynamics. I never cared for when that Lehrman woman was on stage playing guitar with him. I couldn't really hear her contribution and it seemed unnecessary.