Thread: Science Fiction and Jazz Fusion

Science Fiction and Jazz Fusion

Who started this combination? Return To Forever? Sun Ra? Or better: Why?

From the opening salvo of Stanley Clarke's "Vulcan Princess," to a larger influence with, for example, the Brit-Funk-Pop of Level 42, with tunes like "Foundation and Empire," "Starchild," and "Dunetune"-- this seems to have been a fecund combination, however brief. Or still active?

Banned
    Fusion rarely has lyrics, so I dont see the relevance.

You mean sci-fi theme reflected in a fusion TRACK/LP title?

I'd say Sun Ra. Why? Because Space is the Place, of course!

(I remember my bass-playing younger brother endlessly playing along to that Stanley Clarke "Vulcan Princess" record.)
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Banned
    If you mean spacey fusion sound (regardless of whether the title sounds scifi-y), how about Miles Davis "In a silent way"?

I Sing the Body Electric (The Twilight Zone), a third-season (1962) episode of The Twilight Zone, written by Ray Bradbury
    I Sing the Body Electric (Bradbury), a 1969 collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, including the short story of the same name
    I Sing the Body Electric (album), a 1972 album by Weather Report

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    I Sing the Body Electric (The Twilight Zone), a third-season (1962) episode of The Twilight Zone, written by Ray Bradbury
    I Sing the Body Electric (Bradbury), a 1969 collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, including the short story of the same name
    I Sing the Body Electric (album), a 1972 album by Weather Report
    It comes from Walt Whitman, though, as explained in both the Bradbury story and the Twilight Zone episode based on it.

Incidentally, the TZ episode was my third experience with the tale, after the original short story and this made-for-HBO adaptation:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant”-Return to Forever/Romantic Warrior

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images

The great Tony Williams album Believe It:
    Proto-Cosmos
    Mr. Spock
    Red Alert

Hmm - Magma ended up on the OT-board, but fusion & Sci-FI ends up here
    Well if Soft Machine is fusion, they took their name after a novel by William Burroughs which is a bit sci.fi'ish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soft_Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I'd say Sun Ra. Why? Because Space is the Place, of course!

(I remember my bass-playing younger brother endlessly playing along to that Stanley Clarke "Vulcan Princess" record.)
    Yeah, though I'm not sure I would directly link the cosmicality of Sun Ra and others with Sci-Fi proper... that's more to do wuth the guru-spiritual search first IMHO

I'm also thinking of Deodato's Zarathrusta reworks of the 2001 theme...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Hmm - Magma ended up on the OT-board, but fusion & Sci-FI ends up here

I seem to remember the rule that threads asking for list (which is what that Magma thread is asking for, though one might view it as aasking for recs) were supposed to go in OT-A&M forum
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You migt be right about the rules...
    I read that magma thread as a request for input, and this one meanders into a list-sort-a-thing too, but never mind.
    I'm really not picky, just a little annoyd of all the clicking not to miss out on interesting subjects

I'll throw in Frank Zappa's name here. He wrote two sci-fi stories, Hunchentoot and Greggary Peccary (this one may not qualify as sci-fi) in the early 70s. I'm not sure when the lyrics were written for GP but parts of the music were there as early as 1972. I think Hunchentoot - the story was written well before the music, a lot of which gradually appeared on Sleep Dirt. The music is not quite fusion but definitely very jazzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    You migt be right about the rules...
    I read that magma thread as a request for input, and this one meanders into a list-sort-a-thing too, but never mind.
    I'm really not picky, just a little annoyd of all the clicking not to miss out on interesting subjects
    join the crowd

Read the last two pages ofthe re We Missing Anyone? thread and read the "auto-thread-subscribing" thing... There is short cut (I didn't know about it until yesterday) that allows you to subscribe/bookmark as soon as you post in the thread... and of course you can unsubscribe if you don't care to follow it

Methinks Return to Forever with the Hymn of the seventh Galaxy.
    Chick Corea is a Scientologist whose founder L Ron Hubbard was a Science Fiction writer.

Bands are always looking for themes to write their music around, only natural that Chick used science fiction for awhile, then Stanley and Lenny too. On the back of the Hymn album, Chick wrote:
    "Thanks to the never-ending inspiration of L. Ron Hubbard."

Just my $.02
    Last edited by raconteur troubadour; 12-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.