Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio Massacre International

Steve from RMI here: Thanks for all of your kind comments and opinions. I'm stuck on last of 4 interminable night shifts and this has really cheered me up :-). Buy the Cuneiforms of course, and take a look at our webpage where you can contact me directly with any questions etc and order our self-released CD's. To answer your original thread question, do check out `rain Falls In a Different Way', and the Lost In Transit disc `Rain Falls In Leicester and Baltimore', which is basically a live version of the album which I think surpasses the album itself. www.radiomassacreinternational.com Thanks for your support :-)

Frozen North is a Berlin school electronics bliss. A classic of the british synthesizer scene. Mega recommended.

Other albums that are must listens are i.m.o. Republic, Organ Harvest, Borrowed Atoms, The God of Electricity, Emissaries, Septentrional and Time and Motion
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A couple of new Bandcamp releases:

Rain Falls In Grey Redux

Now exclusively available at Bandcamp is a mammoth archive set covering the recording of the Rain Falls In Grey album. This period was a creative highspot for RMI and is re-examined in detail over the equivalent of six discs of material beginning with a late 2005 session and ending with the final pieces recorded for the album in early 2007.

The album concept emerged when in July 2006 Syd Barrett passed on. During the sessions shortly after his death, we spontaneously (almost telepathically) created a piece inspired by Astronomy Domine, and titled it Rain Falls In Grey after a line in Syd's song Baby Lemonade. It is heard here in all its unedited and undubbed forty minute glory for the first time. Immediately after this came the elegiac companion piece Far Away (which completed the Syd quote and was also a tribute by Gary to his recently departed mother.) This is also heard in its original unedited extended form.

For the album itself we had to undertake some very heavy editing in order to create a dynamic and cohesive piece of work. This release presents all of the material of interest from these sessions in their original unedited form, including many diversions created along the way from extended abstract pieces to short arranged compositions.
    http://www.radiomassacreinternationa...andcamp014.php

RMI on Broadway

While RMI were in Bethlehem Pennsylvania to play NEARfest in 2008, we were invited to perform on the Bill Fox show Galactic Travels. Radio WDIY is situated on Broadway a short hop from the hotel. The show went to air at 1am, and so coffee became something of a priority. After turning up on foot to the nearest Burger King drive in and being given short shrift with our outlandish request for a brew, we were directed by some friendly locals to Duncan Donuts who were more than happy to provide, once we had finally determined over the course of several minutes what constituted a 'white' coffee. Then we did this session on the radio which you can now hear for the first time outside of Pennsylvania.
    http://www.radiomassacreinternationa...andcamp015.php
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 07-14-2016 at 11:59 AM.

I am greatly enjoying right now "Rain Falls In Grey Redux", but I am also glad we released 'merely' one CD instead of six....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am greatly enjoying right now "Rain Falls In Grey Redux", but I am also glad we released 'merely' one CD instead of six....

Nice, I'm going to check both these out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If I have Rain Falls In Grey and Rain Falls In Grey Redux, does Rain Falls In A Different Way offer anything unique?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If I have Rain Falls In Grey and Rain Falls In Grey Redux, does Rain Falls In A Different Way offer anything unique?
    Steve from RMI here: Very good question ! Yes it does offer something unique. The cutoff for RFIG Redux is Feb 2007, the source material for RFIADW was from shortly after this. The only overlap I can see immediately is `Chainless and Beauty Black', which only constitutes about 8 minutes out of an hour or more. Hope this helps !

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Steve from RMI here: Very good question ! Yes it does offer something unique. The cutoff for RFIG Redux is Feb 2007, the source material for RFIADW was from shortly after this. The only overlap I can see immediately is `Chainless and Beauty Black', which only constitutes about 8 minutes out of an hour or more. Hope this helps !
    Wow, what service! That's going on the list, then. Thanks!

Also, I love the titles that you guys come up with. (It's About That Zeit)

Is On Broadway a bunch of show tunes?
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 07-14-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Also, I love the titles that you guys come up with. (It's About That Zeit)
    Ha, that is an awesome title!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Re: It's About That Zeit.
    I have Part III blasting in my office right now. I'm very glad this was released.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your positive comments y'all. Some of the titles come from me (It's About That Zeit being one example), some from Duncan and some from the type of random conversations which arise after a few drinks :-) `On Broadway' BTW is our humorous title for a radio session we performed in Bethlehem PA. To be fair the radio station was situated on Broadway, Bethlehem. It was too much of a gift to ignore !

Ha ha. Yeah, I wouldn't change the original at all. We're very proud of it. Bandcamp's a whole different medium of course.....made for the likes of us who record hours and hours of stuff that it would be physically impossible to release !! (or impractical at the very least)

...hours and hours of stuff that it would be physically impossible to release !! (or impractical at the very least)
    or merely expensive! :-)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

If money was no object, I'd still be happy to do things like this as 8 panel fold out digipaks I must admit !

Had not played RFIG in a long time and this thread got me to pull it out and put it on. YEAH! It's REALLY good. I had forgotten what an effective Syd trib it is.
    Agree!.
    Have to explore more their music ... have "EMISSARIES" and love it too ...!.

Pura Vida!,
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

If money was no object, I'd still be happy to do things like this as 8 panel fold out digipaks I must admit !
    It is if you use bitcoin, yet surprisingly still as unaffordable. Downloading 2.21GB of FLAC now.

Wow - didn't realize there was so much RMI on Bandcamp - this is going to be bad for my wallet.

Steve - are there any plans to release the Nearfest set - as d/l or CD-R?

Re: The Nearfest set, I don't think we're allowed to...at least not without buying the rights. I have often thought to look into it. It was recorded as multi-track I think by the organisers, all we have is a stereo mixdown.

Re: The Nearfest set, I don't think we're allowed to...at least not without buying the rights. I have often thought to look into it. It was recorded as multi-track I think by the organisers, all we have is a stereo mixdown.
    It was a great set - it would be nice to hear it again.

I believe that almost all the performances were recorded on multitrack though not sure about the licensing part - it seems like Nearfest Records is a dead issue so maybe not too expensive?

Either way I'm looking forward to working through some of the stuff on Bandcamp.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I have the NEARfest multi-tracks. Email me!
    Chad

Hope Chad's post means it might see the light of day some time.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying "RMI On Broadway" a bunch - thanks for putting it up.

Still missing the 8-panel fold out digipaks, but playing Rain Falls In Grey Redux right now, 1 month anniversary of its purchase.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Still missing the 8-panel fold out digipaks, but playing Rain Falls In Grey Redux right now, 1 month anniversary of its purchase.
    I need to buy that
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've been a fan from the beginning. In 1995, I read a review for their then debut album "Frozen North." Comparisons to Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze made me buy the album. I have everything they've ever released.

Quote Originally Posted by progprinter View Post
    I have everything they've ever released.
    Same here. RMI junkie