Thread: Anybody Seen The Current Version Of Boston?

Anybody Seen The Current Version Of Boston?

I just found out that Boston is coming to a venue near me this summer. Has anyone seen the current version of the band? (I know they toured quite a bit in 2014). I was a fan since that first album back in 76, but have never seen them. I realize Shcolz is the only remaining original member, so wondering if the current version is any good live? I thought “Corporate America” was a pretty lousy album, and have not bothered checking out the most recent one.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just found out that Boston is coming to a venue near me this summer. Has anyone seen the current version of the band? (I know they toured quite a bit in 2014). I was a fan since that first album back in 76, but have never seen them. I realize Shcolz is the only remaining original member, so wondering if the current version is any good live? I thought “Corporate America” was a pretty lousy album, and have not bothered checking out the most recent one.
    No, have not. Will be on the lookout though. Did not even know they were still about.
    Still alive and well...

BigOZine offered a show from the current band a few months ago. Not bad if you like Boston. (I'm kind of wishy-washy on the subject.) Tom Scholz is certainly a fine guitarist...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    BigOZine offered a show from the current band a few months ago. Not bad if you like Boston. (I'm kind of wishy-washy on the subject.) Tom Scholz is certainly a fine guitarist...
    There are a few full shows form the 2014 tour on Youtube. I watched a chunk of the L.A. Forum show the other night. They sound pretty good. The vocalist is not Brad Delp, but he does a decent job.

I'll put what little prog cred I have in jeopardy by saying, I love the first 3 Boston albums. Never saw them live though.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I'll put what little prog cred I have in jeopardy by saying, I love the first 3 Boston albums. Never saw them live though.
    I still think their first album is one of the greatest debuts of all time. There is not a bad track on it, and I played the hell out of it back in the day. Each successive album went downhill a bit for me, but I find things to like on all of them except “Corporate America” which I did not care for at all. I actually discovered Boston before I discovered prog, so in a way they were a gateway band for me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The current version of Boston is under 10 feet of snow.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"CURRENT" Boston? Yep!

The first album is one of my all-time favorites, full stop. After that...yikes...

I read a recent interview with Tom Scholz in Guitar Player magazine, and he said that he doesn't listen to a lot of music because he wants Boston to sound like Boston and not like anyone else. To that end, he hasn't bought a new album since (I think) 1976. I am not making this up.

Love, Life & Hope is, to my ears, a much more enjoyable album than its reviews suggest with lots of typical soaring guitars & keyboard & strong melodies. A couple of years on & I'm still spinning it regularly.

If you like the aor/pomp side of the band, it's a goldmine of great songs. If you're more into the chugging boogie stuff, then it's not for you.

Saw them last summer here in the NY area (first time) and was blown away by how good they were. Though they have a slew of singers in the band, they all work together to recreate those classic Brad Delp vocal harmonies. Played every song you'd wanna hear, which was great.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just found out Boston's current touring bass player (Tracey Ferrie) is my friend's brother.

I only have the first three Boston albums on cd. The first one(the debut) is overplayed to death obviously but still a total classic. The second one is pretty good. It falls pretty far short of the debut but still not bad at all. Third stage is ok in my opinion. There are some good things on it but compared to the first two it's not that memorable(plus it has pretty sub par 80's production which takes it down a notch or two). Still not a terrible album but very much timelocked in the 80's. I haven't heard anything after third stage and am actually not sure I want to.

I started this post a long time ago, but I am not going to the show. I have a conflict the same night so that kind of sealed it.

i thought the new singer quit and went back to working in Home Depot?

I never liked Boston, the band, so I hope if there's a new version, it's better than the original

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How can you not like Boston?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's a beautiful city.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like the city, a lot.

Almost everyone I've ever talked to about it says that the first time they heard "More Than A Feeling" it got their attention quickly. It was just that much different than anything else on the radio, and even if you didn't know what "hooks" were back then, you were blitzkrieged by them in that song.

Their first album was never bettered imo, but "Don't Look Back" (the song) was as good as anything on the first album afaic. After that, meh.

The night that my PE "Ghost" and I went to see them (in the late 90s w/Delp and help (for Delp), we were both pretty impressed, and after the gig in the parking lot, marked the first time that father & son ever together.

Now I'd probably pass on seeing them.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman