Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mötley Crüe

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But why in heaven's name is this in the OT section?
    …because the Crüe aren't considered prog, maybe?

They might be prog. Listen to Girls, Girls, Girls (the song) very closely. There is an odd meter their during the chorus.

Gruno, I haven't had a chance to watch any of those videos yet. Will check 'em out eventually. I'm curious about the Corabi album since the reviews here have been positive. Most comments I've read about that album is that it sounded dated before it was even released (whatever that means).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    They might be prog. Listen to Girls, Girls, Girls (the song) very closely. There is an odd meter their during the chorus.
    Eh, not that odd. Just 4 on the floorwith a heavy swing and an accent before the beat. It is a change of meter from the main part though.

The instrumental version of "Wild Side" is heavy prog.

Gruno, I haven't had a chance to watch any of those videos yet. Will check 'em out eventually. I'm curious about the Corabi album since the reviews here have been positive. Most comments I've read about that album is that it sounded dated before it was even released (whatever that means).
    Being released in 1994, it was smack dab in the middle of the grunge/alternative era. I think it simply sounds like a heavy rock album. I listened to most of it today and it sounds fantastic. I love Corabi's voice in the early 90s. His band, The Scream had a fantastic album. I have never found a copy on CD; most are too, too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The instrumental version of "Wild Side" is heavy prog.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Eh, not that odd. Just 4 on the floorwith a heavy swing and an accent before the beat. It is a change of meter from the main part though.
    Skip to 1:14 for the complete instrumental version:

Love those instrumental bonus tracks on GGG. Wildeside kicks ass.

They're on that boxed set I recommended.

They're on the remastered GGG too. I've already heard those tracks on the CD many times already. Loads of fun.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 02-24-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Okay I saw the two Corabi videos. Uh, I guess they sound like a 90s band sorta. The downtuned guitars, and wah wah guitar solos. Not crazy about Corabi's singing. Hard to judge listening to this music on a youtube video.

They might be prog.
    Precisely. Just listen more carefully. They might be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

here is my personal MöCrüe story.

roskilde festival in denmark 1997. rökk, as we knew it, had all but been beaten on the head through new movements such as (chronologically) cross-over, grunge, brit pop, nu metal and an explosion of creativity in the electronica/rave/dance area which created exciting genres such as big beat, drum&bass and trip hop which grabbed the torch on dangerousness and nonconformity previously held by rock and metal and relegated it to mere posturing and representation of a (musical and social) era long gone. i am sure that everyone here can tell a personal story or two.

with rock slowly disappearing from the festival’s main stages the line-up boasted (to many a visitor’s initial chagrin) smart pop icons such as the pet shop boys (who, incidentially, were nothing less than awesome) and erasure. whatever showed up with guitars and amps disappointed unanimously due to heavy mannerisms and a certain opposition to what was still known and appreciated as a larger-than-life festival headliner experience. 1997, thus, turned out to be a watershed movement of visitors still engulfed in the centric vision of old and a new generation that appreciated a much more fragmented and less star-struck environment (which they quickly remodeled into the system of old through unadultered adulation, but that's for another rant).

hence – at least IMHO – bands like REEF, KULA SHAKER, RADIOHEAD (i remain a fan, though), PRODIGY, LIVE and the SMASHING PUMPKINS all bombed on stage and made little impact. watch the SiMPSONS-episode where homer enters the “hullabalooza” festival circuit and meets billy corgan’s merry posse for an exact representation.

another featured artists on that year’s line-up was none other than MÖTLEY CRÜE who had just gotten back together with vince neil after having experienced one of the many lead singer-fluxes that old bands went through in the 90s. given the above situation they were already stigmatised as a laughing stock from the past by sheer booking to the festival and pre-show conversation with other festival goers ranged from mild ridicule to outright vitriol. having seen them live before in 1991 (and remembering not to have been overtly impressed) i remained somewhat silent and went to their show somewhat intent and convinced to experience all the markings of a good time. they had a stage time of 7pm (if i recall correctly) and an allotted hour in daylight, therefore the odds were somewhat against them even in that respect.

what happened? CRÜE unapologetedly took to the stage and OWNED it. in that hour – with no stage production whatsoever – they totally rocked as if to say that “we need to show those dreary kids how it's really done”. VN was nothing short of a maniac onstage and he, sixx and mars kept running into each other. at their already somewhat advanced age they did not even look silly or out of place – this was a self-confident display of what they do and that is to entertain people. (good) entertainment is a participation sport that requires an entertainer and an entertained – look up saussure’s theorem of the signifier/signified to go deep – and people were ready to be entertained and to have “their ass kicked”, to use an extinct phrase at that point in time. whether that had anything to do with the sub-par performances of the much-hyped new bands is open to everyone’s interpretation. i loved every minute of it and CRÜE must have made a lot of fans that evening – of all kinds.

i recall an old reader’s letters discussion in KERRANG! magazine around 1991 when hair-/glam-/poodle-/pop-metal finally jumped the shark. it must have been about POiSON vs. QUEENSRYCHE who sort of represented both ends of the spectrum at that time. one reader wrote (to paraphrase) that “bands that totally entertain you are just as valid as bands that make you think”.

he has a point.

Good post, good story.

“bands that totally entertain you are just as valid as bands that make you think”.

he has a point.
    Yeah that's the point of it all for me. I have no plans to see them live (never have either), or any other metal bands in the near future, it's just not in the cards for me at this stage. So I listen to the CDs while driving, and get a nice big laugh out of it, or I put it on a jukebox and watch people around me squirming in their bar stools. Either way, it's a barrel-o-fun. You know, sometimes I enjoy getting away from all the heaviness and seriousness of "thinking man's metal." Lately I try not to "think" too much anyway........

Three pages on MC, and no one has mentioned their amazing, group-penned autobiography, "The Dirt"? Extremely crazy, cautionary-type reading. And (inadvertently?) very funny in parts.

It was awful,disgusting, entertaining, and, I think, brutally honest.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've only seen the infamous Behind The Music episode. God, how are these guys still alive, especially Sixx.

Yeah, almost no interest in their music but The Dirt is one of the best Rock books I've ever read.

I ended up really liking Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee by the end of it, curiously.
    It's all made up of interviews with them individually, so it's interesting to hear particular incidents between them told from different perspectives.

Kinda heartbreaking too, a band that had ALL the excesses of the 80's, wealth, jets, drugs etc...but were just SO miserable, fucked-up and unable to communicate with one other.

We used to refer to this band and bands like them as poser metal. I never could get into them. If you're going to listen to 80s metal, stick with Slayer, Exodus, Savatage, Trouble (The Skull HAS to be one of the best 80s metal albums released).
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Savatage, Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    We used to refer to this band and bands like them as poser metal. I never could get into them. If you're going to listen to 80s metal, stick with Slayer, Exodus, Savatage, Trouble (The Skull HAS to be one of the best 80s metal albums released).

Yves, I'm taking a break from thrash. Once in a while I just wanna have some fun. Yeah the hairspray, Sunset Strip image normally makes me do a 180 and run, but this is just fun Rock and Roll. And the guitarist is a killer. These guys are now my second faves of The Strip, after VH.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Three pages on MC, and no one has mentioned their amazing, group-penned autobiography, "The Dirt"? Extremely crazy, cautionary-type reading. And (inadvertently?) very funny in parts.

I enjoyed The Dirt. I enjoyed reading the story from their different perspectives. Having said that, I question how much they truly remembered as fact, being that they were mostly loaded during those times.

The Dirt was/is supposed to be made into a movie…

SOURCE

January 16, 2015

Following a year of scant news about the movie, Mötley Crüe's biopic The Dirt may finally be on its way out of Hollywood purgatory. Focus Features has picked up the film and begun development on it, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The company is also retaining Jeff Tremaine (Jackass, Bad Grandpa) as its director and is working with the script that xXx writer Rich Wilkes wrote with Californication creator Tom Kapinos adapted from the band's gritty, shocking 2001 memoir, The Dirt: The Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band. The production company will begin its search for actors in the near future.

The members of Crüe have long been vocal about their desire to see the film finally make it to the big screen. The film was previously attached to Paramount and Fight Club and Gone Girl director David Fincher.

"I've always believed that it's a cross between Goodfellas and maybe Boogie Nights,"Nikki Sixx said in an interview with Rolling Stone in 2011 after they had abandoned a deal with MTV Films. After a read-through of the script, Tommy Lee told Billboard he anticipated a "triple R" rating for the film. "I was just like, 'What the fuck? That's insane,'" he said. "This movie is insane. Even just the way the movie starts, you're like, 'How the hell are we gonna rate this thing?'"

In other Crüe news, lead singer Vince Neil teased the possibility of a string of official final shows to take place where they formed, in Los Angeles. Speaking with the Las Vegas Sun about his new arena football team, the Las Vegas Outlaws, Neil voiced his desire for the band to return to the Sunset Strip one last time. "I hope we can have our final after-party at the Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip where we began 34 years ago, if it hasn't been torn down by then," he noted. "It would be a fitting place to celebrate the beginning and the end.”

In August of last year, Neil had voiced similar desires in an interview with Rolling Stone. "[The Whisky a Go Go is] the only place to end it," he said. "I'm hoping we do it on January 17th, 2016. It'll be our 35th anniversary."

The band has yet to confirm its farewell plans, but its members do have an announcement planned for their upcoming appearance on Fox & Friends on Tuesday, January 20th and will probably reveal further plans during their appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon on January 22nd. The band previously signed a "cessation of touring agreement" that will be enacted at the end of 2015. On their website, the only tour dates listed for 2015 are February dates in Asia and June dates in Europe.

Yves, I'm taking a break from thrash. Once in a while I just wanna have some fun. Yeah the hairspray, Sunset Strip image normally makes me do a 180 and run, but this is just fun Rock and Roll. And the guitarist is a killer. These guys are now my second faves of The Strip, after VH.
    Fair enough... Just giving my opinion, despite Gruno's counter-opinion.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ...but were just SO miserable, fucked-up and unable to communicate with one other.
    Reading all his band mates making fun of him for his relationship with Pamela Anderson, while in HIS chapters, he sat in jail for hitting her, crying "Oh, Pammy, Pammy, I love you so", made for good reading, if bad band relations!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    one reader wrote (to paraphrase) that “bands that totally entertain you are just as valid as bands that make you think”.

he has a point.
    Great quote. As much as I like “cerebral” music (for lack of a better term), sometimes I just want to go to a live show that just rocks and be entertained. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Not a MC fan, but I also enjoyed reading "The Dirt", and thought it was an interesting read.