Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson addresses fan criticism of band member choices

Ian Anderson addresses fan criticism of band member choices

https://www.facebook.com/officialjethrotull

The repertoire of Jethro Tull has been a huge part of my life over the last forty-seven years so it is great fun to find a new way to present some of my best-known songs in a different and fitting context.

As a tribute to the original 18th Century agriculturalist whose name our agent “borrowed” back in February 1968, I have imagined a scenario where the pioneering pursuit of improved crop-growing and farming methodology might apply to the world of today and tomorrow. (Yawn, yawn but who else is going to feed the planet?)

When this notion first occurred to me last Summer, I had no inkling that, when I examined all of my song material – especially the lyrics, there would be so many perfect fits in regard to song subject and references.

The life story of the original Tull (in as much as we have recorded historical detail of it) has so many interesting and workable parallels. Wind Up, Heavy Horses, Aqualung, Back to the family, Farm On The Freeway and Songs From The Wood amongst others were natural inclusions. A few others were bent into shape with a slight re-write of lyrics and five new songs round off the intended setlist.

Some of the material will be accompanied by brief performance inserts of our “virtual guests” on the big HD video screen. Instead of spoken introductions to the songs in the show, there will be the use of that operatic device, the “recitative”, where the links are made by short sung vocal segments in a usually-simple musical backdrop, making it a little easier and more entertaining for non-English-speaking audiences.

Putting this material in a quasi-operatic setting might annoy some. The use of the term “rock opera” may annoy yet others. I rather hate it myself but can't think of a universally-understood alternative. And, as we use some of the theatrical devices of opera, it can be defended. At a pinch! Forgive, forgive.

Tours for 2015 in the UK and USA are set in stone. Latin America, Russia are also in the intended schedule for the last four months of 2015 and many further dates are proposed in 2016.

And, of course, there will be a good few shows to come when different set lists can bring various other songs back from the repertoire in the venues and festivals where we can't do the full video production.

A word or two (OK – make it 730) about band members: I am rather bemused by the fan gossip surrounding who might be, or should be, at my side in concert. All of the musicians in the current band have performed as members of Jethro Tull during the last decade. They are fine musicians, wonderful people and my closest friends. I have seen some of them naked and all of them in their scanty panties.

There have been, arguably, 26 members of Jethro Tull over the years; a big extended family of musicians. A family who are usually delighted to see each other again after a period of absence but sometimes with the proviso that after a warm and welcoming cup of tea, they won't stay for lunch. You know how it is.

Of course, all Tull fans have their favourite line-up from a particular period. And, of course, Martin Barre features in most of them having been the stalwart Tull guitarist from 1969 to 2011. That he now fronts his own band and, as he says, enjoying the best musical time of his life, is a great and fitting place for him to be in his life right now. I wish my dear, twanging pal nothing less the than the best of fortune and happiness. For one, I had urged him to do more of his own band and solo work many years ago and so, even a little late in the game, he is making up for it now. Check out his website http://www.martinbarre.com for details of concerts and records.

Many other past band members went on to considerable success, sometimes even outside the musical world. Guitarist Mick and bassist Glenn from the first line-up formed their own bands and enjoyed periods of achievement (with a little help from Terry Ellis and Chris Wright of Chrysalis records...).

Others, like Jeffrey Hammond and John Evan left Tull to follow completely new paths in life. Some, like Barrie Barlow and Peter Vettese became record producers and studio owners.

Sadly, there have been some losses along the way. Glenn Cornick, John Glascock and Mark Craney passed following longstanding illness. A few plucky survivors have endured health ordeals and are still alive and reasonably well but no longer able to play today.

In some ways, it is like wishing for your favourite England football team of the last forty years to reconvene for the 2018 World Cup. David Beckham, Gazza, Gary Lineker et al. Good fun to fantasize but let's have in the Tull line-up Robert Plant on vocals and Ian Paice on drums while we are at it.

Being told by well-meaning friends that your girlfriend of forty-five years ago is the true love that you should have married for life, does not sit well with anyone. Or, if you split with a loved one, that somehow you owe it to the world to get back together when the relationship is no longer fulfilling to both parties, for whatever reason.

I treasure my musical relationships with all of the Tull musical family. I would have been nowhere without them. Each one of them has brought great joy and musical success to me in their different and unique ways. But forgive us if we don't actually want to wake up in bed next to each other in the present day. I am sure they will feel the same, especially after a veggie curry the night before.

Jethro Tull (the music band) goes on. In both the legacy of recorded repertoire and in live performance today. Happily, I remain reasonably fit and very committed to enjoying a few more years of recording and performing in concert.

But forgive me if I would like you to remember my name before I go. That is why – and call it vanity, if you will – I use my own real name in concert billing these days. That I should play my music under whatever name I choose is the same right that I would afford to you. Or Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens). Farrokh Bulsara, (Freddie Mercury), Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart) etc.

Mr Gordon Sting can be himself. So can Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel. Like Peter, at any rate, I still love and get on with my past band-mates. I have played on stage or on record with many of them over the years and hope that I continue to do so as opportunities arise.

For now, I still have my repertoire. Forty-seven years of making music as writer, performer and record producer with some 300-odd songs to show for it. Some of them are actually not too bad, I still think, after all these years. A few stinkers but we all miss some easy goals (back to the football analogy).

Hope to see you along the way in the months to come. If not, then I think as fondly of you as I hope you do of me.

Goodness me! It's almost noon. And one of my former band members (name withheld) is coming for Sunday lunch today. No, really: it's true! Time to chill the red wine and put the powdered gravy in the microwave.

Ian Anderson
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

To me, it doesn't matter much who's in Ian's band at this point. He gives them blessed little space to do anything meaningful. I saw the TAAB2 tour and everyone in the band was highly competent. Their true talents were more apparent on the older material which gave them more room to display them, but they rendered the new material as competently as the album. I'm not clear having Martin or whoever up there would have changed the game that much, or that working with any of the older Tull musicians would substantially change the nature of Anderson's current output.

Bill

I must admit, that it was hard for me to accept that Martin was no longer part of the band. It did seem like a bitter split initially, and from what I've read (that needs to be said, because who knows what the real truth is), I dont think Ian handled it particularly well. Martin deserved better. It does seem that Ian understands the fan perspective from his statement above, we all have a favorite "period", or our favorite player at some point in the bands history. I am thankful that Ian is still creating, and touring, we are lucky that he is this active at this stage in his career. Tull's music has been an important part of my life, and I still enjoy listening to the music. So, rock on Ian, Martin, and all those who have delivered this great music of these many years!

A great, characteristically well-thought out post from Anderson....with just a hint of humour as ever, too.

Im with him 100%. Sometimes, eventually, it's time for a change, and I think Tull has exemplified that as a regular way of doing business. More power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    A great, characteristically well-thought out post from Anderson....with just a hint of humour as ever, too.

Im with him 100%. Sometimes, eventually, it's time for a change, and I think Tull has exemplified that as a regular way of doing business. More power to him.
    +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    it was hard for me to accept that Martin was no longer part of the band. It did seem like a bitter split initially, and from what I've read ... I dont think Ian handled it particularly well. Martin deserved better.
    I didn't follow JT after about '73; what's the story here?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I didn't follow JT after about '73; what's the story here?
    They're became a heavy metal band.

I remember seeing Tull on The Tonight Show back in 92 or so, it was just after Jay Leno took over as host. Anyway, Tull were on to promote the 25 Years Of... boxset, and after doing one song (Living In The Past), Jay interviews Ian. At some point, the topic of the band name, and how it confuses people who think "Jethro Tull" is a solo artist came up. Ian mentions that there had been something like 20 people in the band over the years at that point, and that audience applauds, as if not being able to maintain a stable band lineup was some kind of remarkable achievement or something.

I also like how he mentions Sting, Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel, then tosses in, "Like Peter, at any rate, I still love and get on with my past band-mates", which sort of seems like a dig at Roger and Sting, and their respective inability to get along with their former bandmates.

And any time anyone brings up the origins of the name Jethro Tull, I'm always reminded of the European History class I took in the 10th grade. At one point, we were learning about the Industrial Revolution, which of course entails learning about the original Tull. So we had the "end of the chapter" test, and one of the essay questions was, "Who was Jethro Tull". Now, this one of those times where I had actually studied, so I knew I was going to be pass the test, so I thought I'd be a smart ass, and give him a few sentences about the band. However, before I could actually implement this plan, the teacher says, "I realize the name Jethro Tull has been used more recently, but I don't want you tell me about that Jethro Tull. I want to know about the original Jethro Tull". Clearly, this teacher had come across the likes of me before (well, sort of, I imagine that, as Mr. Hand would say, there could only be one me).

I wish him luck in his new enterprise and he has every right to do whatever the hell he wants. Don't know if I'll buy the new disc but that's beside the point.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wonder if that former band member coming over for Sunday lunch was Martin. Who knows?

So, I'm a bit confused here. Is Jethro Tull still a band or is Ian just putting together a back up band and calling it Jethro Tull. It seems he has a lot in common with "Ol' Bobby" as far as how he is the last man standing so to speak.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I also like how he mentions Sting, Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel, then tosses in, "Like Peter, at any rate, I still love and get on with my past band-mates", which sort of seems like a dig at Roger and Sting, and their respective inability to get along with their former bandmates.
    I highly doubt that's a dig at anybody. It's well known that those two have had major issues with former bandmates, whereas the Genesis crew all get along still, or at the very least they have mutual respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So, I'm a bit confused here. Is Jethro Tull still a band or is Ian just putting together a back up band and calling it Jethro Tull. It seems he has a lot in common with "Ol' Bobby" as far as how he is the last man standing so to speak.
    Ian has said Tull is finished, and he wants his remaining years to be under his own name without the expectations that come with JT. He's been playing with these guys for years now. Obviously he's still going to play JT classics, as those are an enormous part of his career, and it may not be an interesting show to many people if the material played was entirely from his IA solo albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well it's pretty much Jethro Tull without the name up front, these days. "Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull" or something to that effect. The musical fabric is pretty much the same, minus Martin's ability to "weave" with Ian in that inimitable way.
    Anyway IMO, without Martin, it isn't really appropriate to call it Jethro Tull. Even if it sorta kinda is.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Powered gravy sounds awful.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

As much as I love and respect his body of work, sometimes Ian writes like a college debate team sophist prat. But, this is a pretty solid defense of where he's at and what he's up to. I'm cool with it.

He clearly is not legally entitled to use the Jethro Tull name, because otherwise he'd be doing it. Would be nice if he would just own up to this, but he's always lied when it suited him, it's of little surprise that he's choosing to do so again now.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    He clearly is not legally entitled to use the Jethro Tull name, because otherwise he'd be doing it. Would be nice if he would just own up to this, but he's always lied when it suited him, it's of little surprise that he's choosing to do so again now.
    Oh, Bullshit. He is using it. He's simply not calling the band by that name, which is fine with me. Seems to me that he's trying to distinguish himself from the band. It's not like he's totally disavowed his past.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Given that Jethro Tull hasn't made any new music in 15 years, but Ian Anderson has written plenty of material under his own name, the band needed to be put to rest at some point. It finally got to the point where it needed to be and it was, so now it is time for people to move on.

Completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Given that Jethro Tull hasn't made any new music in 15 years, but Ian Anderson has written plenty of material under his own name, the band needed to be put to rest at some point. It finally got to the point where it needed to be and it was, so now it is time for people to move on.
    Technically, new music was made for the Christmas album if you want to count that...but even that is now over 11 years old! I actually like Dot Com, which is not a popular opinion but what can I say, I'm a lover of all things JT/IA.

No doubt, I've heard from various sources Mick Abrahams has control.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Completely false.

Then prove it.

What I'm looking at is a situation where IA has seized every chance imaginable in the last three years to use the words "Jethro Tull" in conjunction with his work. He made a sequel to one one of Jethro Tull's best-known albums (Thick as a Brick 2). He toured under the banner of himself playing Jethro Tull music. And now, he's making a concept album about Jethro Tull the actual historical person, which will give IA another opportunity to emblazon "Jethro Tull" in big letters across the upcoming album. Basically, he has done everything that he could possibly do to get that Jethro Tull name on his music since the split with Barre, without actually declaring that it is the product of the band Jethro Tull. Yet, because the projects are supposedly "different" from Jethro Tull (they aren't) we're supposed to believe that this is actually just a common-sense choice by IA to distinguish his own work from that of Jethro Tull.

Right.

He either doesn't doesn't have the sole right to the name (meaning that if he uses "Jethro Tull" on anything he would have to share royalties with Barre), or he came to some sort of binding agreement with Barre at the time of their split.

No other explanation makes any sense at all, given what has actually transpired over the last three years with respect to the music. And to top it off, we're dealing with someone who has a history of making false statements to the press abouut personnel issues. The fact is that if IA had kept making music in the vein of Secret Language of Birds or Divinities or even gone off in another direction entirely, he might have some credibility in this regard. As it stands right now, he doesn't.

Then prove it.
    Nope, I don't feel I need to. You've got it all figured out, more power to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Nope, I don't feel I need to. You've got it all figured out, more power to ya.
    OK then.

Well, in any event, I will give any new IA music a chance, as '70s Tull was a big part of my intoduction to prog. As long as he and Martin Barre are happy with where they are in their careers, that's all that really matters.

Well, in any event, I will give any new IA music a chance, as '70s Tull was a big part of my intoduction to prog. As long as he and Martin Barre are happy with where they are in their careers, that's all that really matters.
    Agreed, and nice to hear, as there are a lot of people who do not give new music from Ian a chance. It's often criticized before it's even released! I tend to like pretty much everything he does, aside from a song here and there. I don't think the latter-day albums are on par with the 70s stuff by any stretch, but they're still good IMO, and aside from the narration on TAAB2, I enjoy spinning them on a semi-regular basis.

(Tosses grenade into the room) Ian, while perhaps a bit pompous and condescending imo in that treatise, could still give Geoff Downes lessons in tact and self-control.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And now, he's making a concept album about Jethro Tull the actual historical person, which will give IA another opportunity to emblazon "Jethro Tull" in big letters across the upcoming album.
    Admittedly I haven't been paying close attention, but I thought I read that he was doing a concept tour, not an album. (Although it would not be surprising to see a live album or video release afterwards)