Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best "engagement" live albums?

MC5- Live

This is the greatest live record ever recorded, better than even BB King Live at the Regal, James Brown Live at the Apollo or Magma Live. But, really, I guess you had to be there, and I was.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The multi-disc The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack did this very well, IMO. The whole thing was mixed down from an extended residency at one venue in San Francisco, if I understood it correctly.
    Five nights at the Winterland, October 16-20, 1974. It's pretty good, one of the better representations of the Grateful Dead from what I consider to be their peak era. But they left out all the stuff where Ned Lagin played (or else he was mixed out, like on Dark Star and Morning Dew), and they left out the second set jam from the first night. And they cut several minutes out of Eyes Of The World (on the official release it's something like 12 minutes long, but on the bootlegs it's more like 17 minutes).

The problem with the Grateful Dead is all those tedious cover tunes they insisted on doing during the first sets of their shows. So a "complete" show release ends up containing a lot of massively redundant songs that don't really serve any purpose except to demonstrate just how many times the band played The Race Is On and El Paso. And how many endless renditions of Casey Jones do you really need?!

Thus, most of the best things that have been released from the Dead's archive are the ones where they compiled stuff from multiple shows, with The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack being a prime example. Other good examples are things like Road Trips Vol. 2 No, 3 (highlights two shows from Des Moines and Louisville, in June 74), Dick's Picks Vol. 12 (basically the second sets from two shows in Boston and Providence, again from June 74).

But even then, you've got things like Dick's Vol. 7, which is compiled from the three shows the band did in London in September 74. Good selection of music, but Dick managed to completely ignore the great second set from the last night of the run, which started off with a long Phil And Ned duo piece, which segued into a long full band improvisation that eventually segued into Eyes Of The World, which in turn segued into Wharf Rat. It's something like 85 minutes long, and they play only two actual songs! So no plan is perfect, apparently.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Lou Reed - rock'n roll animal
    That thing might as well have been a studio album. Everything about it was a fraud.

How about these ...

Renaissance at Carnegie Hall
    Ten Years After - Live
    Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light
    25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (probably one of the best DVD's I've seen of a live show)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dick's Picks Vol. 12 (basically the second sets from two shows in Boston and Providence, again from June 74)
    This is a great release, and goes a long way to proving your point.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    That thing might as well have been a studio album. Everything about it was a fraud.
    How ? Recorded live December 21, 1973 New York...

Only one album pr band

King Crimson - The Great Deceiver
    Features multiple shows (obviously) many of which are incomplete. Toronto '73, excerpted on the box, is now available as a complete show from DGM Live.

Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere
    Not complete. And also contains a few songs from another concert.

PFM - Cook
    Not complete, though perhaps Esoteric's re-release fixed that (?).

Buffalo from Zappa might be my favorite. Four or five encores, smokin' hot band, insane arrangements. Perhaps they kept playing because of a massive snowstorm assaulting Buffalo that night.
    Last edited by polmico; 12-26-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I fucked up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

meimjustalawnmower
    How ? Recorded live December 21, 1973 New York...
    Heavily doctored in the studio. Even the audience noise was not original.

"Engagement" live albums (not whole concerts) - as in "musical commitment" ?
    In-complete or doctored doesnt necessarily retract this in my ears, as long as the music hasnt been overdubbed (and even that...if its done well. Today they can pinch out single notes without you ever discovering it).
    Anyway, very few LP's represent full concerts unless they were very short (or consisted of more than one LP).
    I dont think there was one single album on my list that is a complete concert, and its naive to believe there wasn't any tampering involved on any levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    complete (or near-complete) shows from single dates.
    . .
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

o.k.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    And yet it's better than almost anything Lou has ever done (except maybe the stuff he did when Robert Quine was in his band).