Thread: Koss Pro4AA

Koss Pro4AA

The listening habits thread really got me thinking about the experience today vs back then

I remember my first set of "mid-fi" headphones, the Koss Pro4AA

Torture to wear for me after a few minutes, heavy, tight, closed ear

Did a google search and I'm shocked to see this:

http://www.koss.com/en/products/head...Size_Headphone

They are making what appears to be the exact same set all these years later, right down to the army surplus green cosmetic

Anyone else remember having these?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I remember having these

and LOVING them. Wonder what they sound like by todays standards. Frankly I own, I think, 7 sets of phones including the better ones at the studio and I pretty much hate all of them in one way or another. I'd probably have to spend $1K to get phones I like. The best of the bunch that I have for both sound and comfort are these trusty guys:

Had a pair. Loved them, but heavy.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have a pair that looks about like this:

from the early-to-mid '70s.
    They are heavy and not very comfortable, but they sound great.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    1971987511.jpg
    Still my favorite. I need to put in a new cord, but I'm hesitant because I'm not exactly what you'd call good with a soldering iron.

I picked up a pair of 4AAA last year at the Goodwill for something like $5. Last week I picked up a Sansui solid state amp/tuner Model 400 from around 1969 wrapped in plastic in original styrofoam with paperwork in original plastic bag with laminated schematic for hookups in original box for $8. There is just a little static on the volume dial but when the station is locked in it sounds great. I just turned it on with the headphones and the station was playing Warpigs. I might have to order if possible some new ear cushions if possible, these seem kind of deflated. It seemed like a nice stereo for my grandson to start with, and the price was right.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

These are the ones I have. Those cushions look more uniform than mine do.

Just ordered a new set of ear cushions today, $5 including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    1971987511.jpg
    Still my favorite. I need to put in a new cord, but I'm hesitant because I'm not exactly what you'd call good with a soldering iron.
    I had a pair of those, but threw them away some years ago. They sound terrible by todays standards!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I think they sound great, but they have such low impedance that you need the right amp, so I got a Little Dot amp for 'em.

The new ear cushions came today.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Had a couple of different Koss headphones back in the '70s and into the '80s.

One was the Koss K6LCQ two+four channel headphones.

Also had the Koss Phase 2+2 headphones. They were more expensive than the K6LCQ headphones, but really didn't sound much better, and they were a lot more fragile. They died a couple times and the Koss factory repaired them. They died once again several years later and that was that. They were decaying quickly anyway.

The less expensive Koss K6LCQ headphones, however, lived on into the late '90s without suffering any problems over the years, other than a very slightly problematic cord sometime in the early-to-mid '90s.

My first set was the Koss Phase 2. They were the Pro4AA with a switch and a dial that allowed you to tilt the speakers for a phasing/ambiance effect. They sounded great for the price, but they weighed a ton and were very uncomfortable. I still have a pair that I bought on ebay about 3 years ago.
    My second set of cans were these:
    http://www.wikizic.org/Sennheiser-HD-224/
    I had those for over 20 years
    I think I replaced them with AKG240M. Then I found a pair of Sony V6 for 2.00 at a garage sale. I finally ended up going back to Sennheiser. My desktop cans for the last 4 years has been HD-595s. I also have a pair of HD-650s that I drag out only for special listening sessions.