Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gilmour or Latimer?

Since we're on the tangential subject of Metheny, his 1983 Pat Metheny Group live album, Travels, is the subject of today's Rediscovery column at All About Jazz.

Read about it here...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Gilmour has a CBE for services to music

Commander Of The British Empire - it does not come with any rank.
    Doesn't it allow him to herd his sheep through London or something?

http://gonzo-multimedia.blogspot.com...ondon.html?m=1

What a thread! How did Pat Metheny land in there?

As for me, I'll take Latimer over Gilmour. I actually don't like either's respective bands, but Latimer's playing almost makes me like Camel. And I find him more interesting harmonically and melodically.

Gilmour is a high level blues/rock player who has a great feel and tone (which Latimer has as well). I just burned out on blues/rock players a long time ago (though I like to hear that influence when it's just a part of a player's arsenal). I lean more to the jazz side of things. And for that reason alone, I'd rather listen to Metheny any day. And he isn't even my favorite jazz guitar player, but he's damn good!

Rufus never fails to entertain! I actually like that we have guys like him, it keeps things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    What a thread! How did Pat Metheny land in there?
    Because someone has come out and said he's not that great, then that he wasn't well known outside the states , then changed to that jazz isn't that bug and then changed to he hasn't read of anyone who has been influenced by methen.

I don't dare if anyone doesn't like Metheny, but to suggest he's not as well known as some of Prog's more well known guitarist's? Yoikes. I mean, I think it's clear I love prog but to suggest that Steve Howe is better known in the world than Metheny - outside of heir respective genres I mean - is just plain silly. So I could not help but come out and set some records straight.

But I am sorry to have derailed the thread, which I'd not have participated in otherwise as I find these A vs. B. threads to be kinda meaningless, since I think the is room in this world for A and B, so why does one have to be better (and how Doo you prove in most cases anyway?) than the other! Often hey are so different that comparisons fall apart pretty quickly.....

Best!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Latimer's probly got half an inch more than Dave.
    Gilmour’s got more girth, though.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."