Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gilmour or Latimer?

Gilmour or Latimer?

Both have similar styles but Latimer has superior technique and a far better song writer.

Discuss!

Love both, but Gilmour is one of the most "emotive" of the two and perhaps my most favored.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Uh, what are we comparing again?

Gilmour has more money, and a peerage.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I worship both of these Gods, along with the God Rothery. If you don't, you're a heathen.

Latimour.

Gilmour. For me, one of the single most emotive guitarists that I know of. What he lacks in speed he makes up for a hundred fold with economy and finesse.

Gilmour's playing is deceptively difficult.
    It's not as easy as it sounds.

^^^and therein lies his genius!

You don't have to sell me - one of my all-time favorite solos is his, in Echoes.
    Dogs is another one I just had to get down note-for-note on guitar.
    I had to know what he did.
    Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    Love both, but Gilmour is one of the most "emotive" of the two and perhaps my most favored.
    I'd say the same.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Andy has more interesting compositions to play and cooler changes to play over.
    Last edited by Sean; 02-18-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Latimer by a mile for me.

But then, I am just not a Floyd or Gilmour fan.

If it was this guitarist named David Gilmore, then it might be a different story.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Gilmour for me, I just find his tone more emotive.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Heard Camel albums back in college, but they just never became mainstays.
    Meddle, on the other hand...

Both big favs - probably give the nod to Gilmour - like others find him the more emotive player.

Though I'm not sure if I prefer Gilmour's playing on Floyd's Echoes better than Latimer's on Camel's Echoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I have a suspicion you have never seen / heard Latimer play live because to say that Gilmour is more emotive then Latimer is way off the mark IMHO. Latimer is about the most emotive guitarplayer I have ever seen and heard:

I find both have their own style that is unique to them. I guess having heard Gilmour first, I always thought Latimer was mimicking him. However, over the years I've become far more familiar with Latimer's style and approach. They are both fluid, melodic type guitarists but I think they are pretty distinct. There is no question Gilmour brought massive recognition to that style of guitar playing and influenced many guitarists (probably Latimer, since Gilmour had been making records and performing with Floyd for 5 years when the first Camel record was released. Of course, Latimer had been in bands before that, but if you listen to that first Camel album, he's more of a blues player than a melodic, emotive type player that he morphed into later on. Anyway, both are great, both have their merits. I'll take both and be happy

FYI, I've seen both Gilmour and Latimer in a live setting. I'd say the impact was very similar. The main difference was that Gilmour had the larger rig, venue, and backing band. Probably far more expensive equipment. However, they both played Strat's and both made the hair stand up on the back of my neck at various times.

a tie
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Latimer's probly got half an inch more than Dave.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    a tie
    1.200x200.jpg
    The Path is Clear

^^ nice tie!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Latimer is about the most emotive guitarplayer I have ever seen and heard:

I concur.

IMO, Latimer easily plays with as much emotion as Gilmour, but he also has a broader palette to draw from. Gilmour, due to his limited technique and vocabulary, is too repetitive for me.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I can't even pretend to be unbiased on this one. Gilmour is not just my favorite guitarist, but my favorite living musician. No one makes a guitar sing and cry like he does.

Both are emotional guitar Gods! But I have to choose Latimer for all the amazing music. I love me some Floyd, but where's his Lunar Sea solo for instance? Why compare them at all? Anyway, I do think Camel is more musical.