Thread: New album from "Camper Van Anglagard"

New album from "Camper Van Anglagard"

Jonathan Segel of Camper Van Beethoven fame just released an album with Angalgardian, Mattias Olson.

http://music.jsegel.com/album/the-secret-sparrows-keep

I checked it out -- sounds very cool in a psychprog way.

Jonathan lives in Sweden these days, so he's been collaborating with folks over there. He is also appearing on and mixing a new release from Spacerock improvisers, the Oresund Space Collective.

Of course, CVB's 21st Century output ranks with VdGG's as my personal favorite unexpected band reunions ever.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Interesting. I'll have to check this out when I have time.

I have his "Storytelling" album from back when it came out on vinyl. I always enjoyed it.

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Have to agree about the 21st century output. Not quite as eclectic or strange as their previous records but all the things that made them great are still intact. Saw them in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and loved the show. Jonathan was in his element and was in fine form. Seems like sweet guy. Bought his newest record and quite like it. For a guy on a prog board I am a much bigger camper fan than Angalgard whom I can't seem to parse. Not a digital download person but I suppose if it's good it could be the first time I download an album.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Well, that surprises me. The samples sounds pretty cool. They blend surprisingly well.

As for CVB, I thought New Roman Times was phenomenal, so the last two had a hard time competing with it. But, I've come around to them. I like the Nor. Cal./So. Cal concept behind them. When I picked up La Costa Peridad, I was wondering, what happened to the bite? Then it became clear the were saving it for El Camino Real. Shuffling the two together really helped me get my head around what the band has recently been about.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Sounds great! Anything with Mattias on it does it for me. Always love the dark mellotron!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Yes, the two new CvBers are definitely growers. Come Down the Coast is top rank, for sure. I also recommend Lowery's solo album, The Palace Guards.

Some year I hope to make a Cracker/CvB campout. They've been touring at least once a year, but never in flyover country.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel