Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Thinking Plague, where to start?

In This Life also arrived. Listening to “Love” right now.

Oy mate, wot a crap band! Wheres dem floating rocks? Wheres dem mellertrons? Stinking Plague more like.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Amazing, how fresh In This Life sounds, like it was recorded just the other day. Love the Arabian & African influences that shine through on this album. ITL might be my favorite of the last four. What a fantastic band.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Amazing, how fresh In This Life sounds.
    Very, very true. If you'd launched a current band through this record, listeners and media would perhaps not be "all over it" (and it probably wouldn't "sell like crazy"), but given the participation of the "right" names and such it would definitely be deemed "the essence of truly progressive" and "fresh" or "groundbreaking".

Which of course it was in the first place.

Great to see that you've discivered the band and so intimately taken them to your heart. Be prepared to stick around with them for the remainder of your existence now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Very, very true. If you'd launched a current band through this record, listeners and media would perhaps not be "all over it" (and it probably wouldn't "sell like crazy"), but given the participation of the "right" names and such it would definitely be deemed "the essence of truly progressive" and "fresh" or "groundbreaking".

Which of course it was in the first place.

Great to see that you've discovered the band and so intimately taken them to your heart. Be prepared to stick around with them for the remainder of your existence now.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 03-05-2015 at 11:57 AM.

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Yeah, listened to In This Life last night and I retract my prior statement. This is a GREAT, great album!
    Last edited by zombywoof; 03-06-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Amazing, how fresh In This Life sounds, like it was recorded just the other day. Love the Arabian & African influences that shine through on this album. ITL might be my favorite of the last four. What a fantastic band.
    Erm......shucks, "at...".  I think it's a little more accessible than the later stuff, in that it may be a little less busy in terms of parts. And with a couple exceptions, I think there are less different sections in each song. Also, the harmonies are less dense, except maybe for Malaise, but that one has less stuff going one at any one moment. So overall maybe easier to grok more quickly...?

By "Arabian" influences, I asume you mean "The Guardian"? Half of a simple octatonic scale....seems to,always conjure up the "exotic middle east"... 😜 And "African"....? Do you mean the bamboo marimba and dunbeks in Organism? Or the big tribal drum section in Moonsongs (which is a bo us track, first appeared on the album of the same name in 1986)??

In This Life also arrived. [...] Wheres dem mellertrons?
    Did you get the twofer of the first albums as well? ...a Thinking Plague and Moonsongs? It contains three of my very fave TP songs; "Etude for Combo" (recorded live in the studio), "Warheads" (their, uh, official hit song) and "Thorns of Blue and Red". I can't remember if Steve F. wrote anything about this one being OOP, but it's well worth tracking down.

Oh, and there's even some distant mellotron on In Extremis, so don't worry! I always had the feeling that it was included as a tongue-in-cheek comment to any accusations of stereotype, though...
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 03-06-2015 at 04:16 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

[...]there's even some distant mellotron on In Extremis, so don't worry! I always had the feeling that it was included as a tongue-in-cheek comment to any accusations of stereotype, though...
    Though I’m a ‘tron junkie myself, the “no mellotron = no prog” orthodoxy is really silly (still I’m always glad when it’s present). Decline seems to have a lot of it, though maybe it’s a software emulation? Either way, Kimara’s keys sound great on that one.

Did you get the twofer of the first albums as well? ...a Thinking Plague and Moonsongs? It contains three of my very fave TP songs; "Etude for Combo" (recorded live in the studio), "Warheads" (their, uh, official hit song) and "Thorns of Blue and Red". I can't remember if Steve F. wrote anything about this one being OOP, but it's well sorth tracking down.
    Just ordered it a few minutes ago upon your endorsement. Steve F. said they’re all OOP, except for History and Decline, but this can still be obtained new at a regular price. Prof. Scrotum – thanks again for turning me on to this band! One of the most rewarding musical discoveries of the last few years for me.

Just ordered it a few minutes ago upon your endorsement. Steve F. said they’re all OOP, except for History and Decline, but this can still be obtained new at a regular price.
    Well, if things continue like this I'll might have to start charging Mike J. and Steve F. for appearing as their unofficial sales manager. $ $

Those two have no doubt conspired to hike prices through artificial scarcity. Picture them now, slurping oysters and sipping Dom Pérignon on the veranda of their beachfront estate, smugly overlooking their yacht fleet and laughing their asses off at the peasants they send running to the records stores with unfounded OOP rumors.

Those two have no doubt conspired to hike prices through artificial scarcity. Picture them now, slurping oysters and sipping Dom Pérignon on the veranda of their beachfront estate, smugly overlooking their yacht fleet and laughing their asses off at the peasants they send running to the records stores with unfounded OOP rumors.
    I don't need Dom P or OOP rumors to laugh my ass off at the peasants.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    There's some lovely dirt over here.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There's some lovely dirt over here.
    There's good cud...

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    Erm......shucks, "at...".  I think it's a little more accessible than the later stuff, in that it may be a little less busy in terms of parts. And with a couple exceptions, I think there are less different sections in each song. Also, the harmonies are less dense, except maybe for Malaise, but that one has less stuff going one at any one moment. So overall maybe easier to grok more quickly...?

By "Arabian" influences, I asume you mean "The Guardian"? Half of a simple octatonic scale....seems to,always conjure up the "exotic middle east"... �� And "African"....? Do you mean the bamboo marimba and dunbeks in Organism? Or the big tribal drum section in Moonsongs (which is a bo us track, first appeared on the album of the same name in 1986)??
    Yes to all of the above, although these are all just my first impressions and thus admittedly superficial. But ITL does indeed seem much more airy and lighter than e.g. Decline and especially A History. Those percussive workouts on both Organism and Moonsongs are very trance-y – love that! Fountain is also very unusual compared to later works in that it just grooves along in 4/4 for all of its 7+ minutes – sort of TP’s Hey Jude moment. Have I mentioned that you’re an ace guitarist yet? Well you are. Hats off!

BTW, the liner notes credit Mr. Drake with aardvarks on Moonsongs? Wonder what’s up with that…

Played In This Life all way through yesterday, and it's still amazingly scorching. Speaking of '80s progressive rock' without mentioning TP actually gets to be a revealing factor of failure in telling the story.

Damn! ....busted!

Yes to all of the above, although these are all just my first impressions and thus admittedly superficial. But ITL does indeed seem much more airy and lighter than e.g. Decline and especially A History. Those percussive workouts on both Organism and Moonsongs are very trance-y – love that!
    Trance-y certainly isn't our usual thing.

Fountain is also very unusual compared to later works in that it just grooves along in 4/4 for all of its 7+ minutes – sort of TP’s Hey Jude moment. Have I mentioned that you’re an ace guitarist yet? Well you are. Hats off!
    Well, thanks, mate.

BTW, the liner notes credit Mr. Drake with aardvarks on Moonsongs? Wonder what’s up with that…
    It's an actaul recoding of an aardvark licking a microphone. Idon't remeber where it came from. But the sound of it had us on the floor.

Could be because about 3/4 of the album is effectively sans drums. But I agree that there are parts almost veering into electroacoustic contemporary song-form - which of course is exactly "what" it is in the first place!

"Last Aether for Saxophone & le Gouffre" is somewhat atypically TP, yet so very much an integral part of what renders the album such a peculiar atmosphere. And "Lux Lucet" as well as "Rapture of the Deep" are two of the greatest TP tracks overall, IMO.
    Yeah, my personal favourite is still "A History Of Madness" largely because of Rapture (probably one of my favourite songs of all time, seriously). Although Decline and Fall is quite excellent (i may be a little biased )

Frankly, you can't go wrong with any of them. I think they're all very very good albums. Mike is a fine gentleman and a brilliant writer, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Amazing band, amazing musicians. Get 'em all. Medieval crossbow to my head - "In this Life" and "In Extremis" are my desert island discs, but the two latest ones are fantastic, as well as the earlier ones. You probably won't hear any wedding bands play this music during the reception...well unless they hire a band called Thinking Plague.
    That would be quite the wedding dance

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    Hi Bill. Nice to know that someone actually smiles at this stuff. It's not ALL so dark and threatening! ;^> "Audacity"? Well, that's true praise - thanks. As for singers, I know people, like my late brother Burt, who couldn't stand any of the singers UNTIL Elaine came along. Personally, I think Susanne really helped make In This Life what it is, and not just the lyrics, although that's huge. She had a voice that had to grow on me, what with her sort of 80s underground approach to pitch, but it sure did. However, I think that she would have struggled quite a bit with In Extremis, because (at the time) she had no musical training, and Deborah could read. I also love Deborah's airy kind of "innocent" or unpretentious quality. She could nail almost any weird interval when recording, as long as it wasn't too far out of her range (I've made ALL the TP singers sing above their comfort ranges). But meanwhile, Elaine has brought the best of everything. She can execute live better than anyone else we've had. She can do it while playing "other" things on a keyboard. She has a unique reedy, sort of low clarinety voice. But she can belt in her higher range, and do it live. Plus she's the best "trooper", can-do, no whining kind of person....one of the "guys", even telling and laughing at guy-ish jokes.
    on one of our road trips with her to practice in Denver, Elaine woke up from a dead sleep to inform B.Sue and i that of course she would "introduce us to Warren". i almost spit out my coffee... she's a very unusual gal

i'm also excited to hear some of the new work, MJ. bravo and all the best on completing some new recordings.
    Last edited by Polypet; 03-11-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I don't need Dom P or OOP rumors to laugh my ass off at the peasants.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Today’s TP playlist:

Warheads (Early Plague Years)
    Colorless Fog That One Day (Early Plague Years)
    Inside Out (Early Plague Years)
    Rapture of the Deep (A History of Madness)
    Gúdamy Le Máyagot (A History of Madness)
    Kingdom Come (In Extremis)
    Lux Lucet (A History of Madness)

Today’s TP playlist:

Warheads (Early Plague Years)
    Colorless Fog That One Day (Early Plague Years)
    Inside Out (Early Plague Years)
    Rapture of the Deep (A History of Madness)
    Gúdamy Le Máyagot (A History of Madness)
    Kingdom Come (In Extremis)
    Lux Lucet (A History of Madness)
    Ah... nice list man. Rapture of the Deep always gets me emotional. Simply sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Rapture of the Deep always gets me emotional. Simply sublime.
    An awesome tune. It’s to TP what “Entangled” is to Genesis, in a way.

An awesome tune. It’s to TP what “Entangled” is to Genesis, in a way.
    I can agree completely on that. Well said.

In extremis is their best in my opinion

I do love the live NEARfest set as well. (The studio M webcast). I still remember that set live, 1/4 of the audience ran for the doors like the theater was on fire the the other 3/4 were transfixed with the magic. Every other band up until them required earplugs and this comprised some of the nuance. TP were the perfect mix from where I sat.

Man I wish I could back and see that again