Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Krautrock Binge

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I was going to mention Floating and Inside too. For that matter, I think the very first Scorpions album could squeeze into a broader definition of Krautrock.
    Scorpions - Lonesome Crow is an excellent album, it could probably stretch into the definition, Eloy don't get in for me, not enough psyche.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

CAN - The Lost Tapes
    A.R. & Machines - Die Grüne Reise
    Highdelberg - s/t
    Witthüser & Westrupp - Trips und Träume
    Camera - Remember I Was Carbon Dioxide
    Datashock - Keine Oase in Sicht

Here is my 'Krautrockday' al-a Floyd's The Man:

Daybreak: Amon Duul: Tanz der Lemminge
    Morning:
    Kraftwerk: Ralf and Florian
    Afternoon: Embryo: Bad Heads And Bad Cats
    Drive Home: Kraan: Andy Nogger
    Evening Meal: Can: Future Days
    Sleep: Popol Vuh: Affenstunde

Grobschnitt's debut of course Ballerman and Solar Music Live. Embryo Stieg Aus, Agitation Free At the Cliffs of the River Rhine, Malesch and 2nd just to name a few. And I must not forget Walter Wegmuller Tarot.
    Last edited by old school; 02-22-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Eloy? No. Not nearly experimental enough, IMO. More of just a german progressive Rock / space rock band.
    Krautrock is more music from a certain time and place than a style, IMO. Otherwise, how could you say no Eloy is Krautrock but an Amon Duul II song like All the Years Round is Krautrock? It's not all equally experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Scorpions - Lonesome Crow is an excellent album, it could probably stretch into the definition
    Agreed, especially the title track. Parts of the "Rainbow" album too. That band never sounded like that again once their third album came along.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Krautrock is more music from a certain time and place than a style, IMO. Otherwise, how could you say no Eloy is Krautrock but an Amon Duul II song like All the Years Round is Krautrock? It's not all equally experimental.
    Genre labels are always going to be somewhat fuzzy, and bands aren't necessarily going to adhere to a specific genre for the whole of their careers. I'm okay with the idea of contemporary Krautrock (see above) or even non-German Krautrock and I'd certainly prefer not to use labels to designate a time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Genre labels are always going to be somewhat fuzzy, and bands aren't necessarily going to adhere to a specific genre for the whole of their careers. I'm okay with the idea of contemporary Krautrock (see above) or even non-German Krautrock and I'd certainly prefer not to use labels to designate a time and place.
    Fine - personally I'm going by what's defined by books like The Crack in the Cosmic Egg and Krautrocksampler, which use time and place to help describe a socio historical context within which Krautrock "happened."

Because, of course, Krautrock is a subset of the "style" known as prog.

Fine - personally I'm going by what's defined by books like The Crack in the Cosmic Egg and Krautrocksampler, which use time and place to help describe a socio historical context within which Krautrock "happened."

Because, of course, Krautrock is a subset of the "style" known as prog.

I like to simply think of it as prog and artrock... By Germans.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I like to simply think of it as prog and artrock... By Germans.
    Yeah, me too. But Julian Cope relates the extreme creativity and I guess the degree to which they just went with it to the Holocaust guilt from which the generation was trying to separate itself. Also, the fact it was one of them (Conny Plank?) who first used the term Kraut self-referentially in a song title or similar.

Right on, anyone who was of an age to be into early 70's music (when it was out) KNOWS that most ANYTHING our of Germany that was spacy-experimental-psych-jazzy was called Krautrock, including Lonesome Crow and Eloy!

Yeah, me too. But Julian Cope relates the extreme creativity and I guess the degree to which they just went with it to the Holocaust guilt from which the generation was trying to separate itself. Also, the fact it was one of them (Conny Plank?) who first used the term Kraut self-referentially in a song title or similar.
    Theres always a smarty around to over think the little things... But if thats what he thinks, well good for him. I would have never associated the holocaust with any kind of rock. Or roll.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ton Steine Scherben - Scherben
    I’m thrilled that anyone outside of Germany would know Scherben. They were extremely important, not just during the “bleierne Jahre”, but well into the eighties and early nineties. Nowadays, they’re all but forgotten.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

^^

Some folks tend to steer away from the German-language Kraut bands, often due to not understanding the lyrics or feeling generally estranged to vocals in that tongue. And of course, some of the so-called "polit-rock" Kraut acts were apparently less immediately adventurous in terms of their music, but many still made some pretty darn relevant contributions of the day (Ihre Kinder, Oktober, Scherben, Floh de Cologne etc.).

It probably also alienates SOME listeners to know that Scherben were as "proto-punk" as they were "progressive", but so were The Plastic People of the Universe in Czechoslowakia, Buldozer in Yugoslavia and the (still) little known Komintern in France.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^

Some folks tend to steer away from the German-language Kraut bands, often due to not understanding the lyrics or feeling generally estranged to vocals in that tongue.
    In Germoney, it’s the opposite: People steer clear of those groups because they understand the lyrics. It’s become such a boring safe country, I’m afraid to report.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

You just got me in the mood to revisit some stuff. My krautrock turntable menu of the day:

1. SPARIFANKAL "Huraxdax drudnhax"
    2. SILOAH "Surkam gurk"
    3. LOKOMOTIVE KREUZBERG "Kollege klatt"
    4. TAU "Tau"
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

What, no Spermüll or Cravinkel??!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Spermüll !
    Spermüll !
    Spermüll !
    Spermüll !
    Spermüll !
    Spermüll !

"Only SPERMÜLL are allowed from now!" - Ed, chief of staff of official joint committee of Moral High Office at PE.

Mostly I prefer music where I dont understand the lyrics.
    Less fatigue, leaves more room for imagination - and the majority of lyrics are stupid anyway.

^^

Some folks tend to steer away from the German-language Kraut bands, often due to not understanding the lyrics or feeling generally estranged to vocals in that tongue. And of course, some of the so-called "polit-rock" Kraut acts were apparently less immediately adventurous in terms of their music, but many still made some pretty darn relevant contributions of the day (Ihre Kinder, Oktober, Scherben, Floh de Cologne etc.).

It probably also alienates SOME listeners to know that Scherben were as "proto-punk" as they were "progressive", but so were The Plastic People of the Universe in Czechoslowakia, Buldozer in Yugoslavia and the (still) little known Komintern in France.

It must be - if you pile together the genre's most famous names, such as Can, Neu!, Amon Duul II, Faust, Popol Vuh, and Cluster, NONE of these bands sound a thing alike - there's so much more similarity among say, the "big 7" of prog (or whatever you call 'em). A lot of modern groups get described as having a big Krautrock influence, which means pretty much nothing to me, a guy who's listened to over a hundred LPs described as "Krautrock" - though lately I've come to understand it usually just means they have listened to "Hallo Gallo"
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    It must be - if you pile together the genre's most famous names, such as Can, Neu!, Amon Duul II, Faust, Popol Vuh, and Cluster, NONE of these bands sound a thing alike - there's so much more similarity among say, the "big 7" of prog (or whatever you call 'em). A lot of modern groups get described as having a big Krautrock influence, which means pretty much nothing to me, a guy who's listened to over a hundred LPs described as "Krautrock" - though lately I've come to understand it usually just means they have listened to "Hallo Gallo"
    There is one binding factor that makes all of these "whatever you want to call it". All the men are from the same generation. You can quote me too.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    In Germoney, it’s the opposite: People steer clear of those groups because they understand the lyrics. It’s become such a boring safe country, I’m afraid to report.
    Hey, we are all busy singing along to our own Blondie's "Atemlos durch die Nacht". Who needs "unsafe" stuff if you can have Helene Fischer!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Mostly I prefer music where I dont understand the lyrics.
    Less fatigue, leaves more room for imagination - and the majority of lyrics are stupid anyway.
    I'm with you. I'd probably like Magma even more if no one had ever told me what it was all about.

So people ranting in bizarre German? Bring it on!