Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Krautrock Binge

Kraan & Guru Guru united (1975 Baden Baden)

Finkenbach festival 2018, lots of Kraut there:

http://www.finki-festival.de/finki_programm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I've heard some Eloy and kind of thought them to be copying Pink Floyd. I've also tried Can's Ege Bamyasi and Tangerine Dream's Rubycon, Phaedra, and Tangram. None of it floats my boat. Maybe I'll try later when I get some black turtlenecks!
    Yeah, they weren't great musicians like we now see in the Rap and Hip Hop realm....!

I just talked with Hellmut Hattler and, yes Peter Wolbrandt changed his mind again, Kraan will play at the Finkenbach festival.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Thanks for posting those lyrics. Tough times for them back in those days I'm sure but I bet they look back in fondness. The many, many hours of the band practising on that old farm made them somewhat famous in Germany.
    On sunday we are hungry
    'Cause no one bought some food
    We forgot to do it on saturday
    When we were fat and felt so good
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

The farm house is for sale

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/50861256#/

"Seit den 1950er Jahren wird das Haus durchgängig zu Wohnzwecken genutzt.
    In den siebziger Jahren lebten hier, unterstützt vom Eigentümer und Kunstförderer
    Graf Metternich, die Mitglieder der weg weisenden deutschen Rockband „Kraan“
    mit ihren Familien.
    Danach folgte bis 2011 die Nutzung als großzügiges Jagdhaus. "
    Read more: http://www.danbbs.dk/~m-bohn/kraan/a....pdf?956337341

Nostalgia:

This is the barn where KRAAN’s album „Let it out“ was recorded (in Wintrup 1975).
    It was destroyed by a storm in 2008.

This is what it looks like today:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Excellent Danish Kraut 1970 - (if you didn't know)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Finkenbach festival 2018, lots of Kraut there:

http://www.finki-festival.de/finki_programm.html
    Got a ticket today. Cheap flight as well. Finki bound

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Got a ticket today. Cheap flight as well. Finki bound

I hope the weather will be with you !

Excellent Danish Kraut 1970 - (if you didn't know)
    Nice - cheers!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I hope the weather will be with you !
    Don't jinx it

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nice - cheers!
    Their 2 first albums are really good (this and the previous selftitled), after that american westcoast made its impact.

Their 2 first albums are really good (this and the previous selftitled), after that american westcoast made its impact.
    The first two are like Syd-era Floyd teaming up with Vanilla Fudge and early VdGG, but yes - there's a definite hazy aura of Kraut permeating.

Spredt for Vinden from '73 isn't bad at all, but there's a different sound altogether. And their take on US West Coast influences was far from the radical variety of early Culpeper's Orchard or Day of Phoenix.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Was just reading about Zappa and the Mother's "Billy the Mountain" in the Dweezil Zappa tour thread. Do you think some of the more dialogue-heavy Krautrock albums like Floh De Cologne's "Geyer-Symphony" were inspired by this, despite their possibly being more political in nature?

Now listening to Billy the Mountain. Not sure I like it at all. Seems like a less-humorous Firesign Theater album.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you think some of the more dialogue-heavy Krautrock albums like Floh De Cologne's "Geyer-Symphony" were inspired by this, despite their possibly being more political in nature?
    Geyer-Symphonie was conceived as an actual performance play, meant to be staged but apparently not done so very successfully. I personally think it's Floh de Cologne's most interesting album, but you'll have to somehow be acquainted with the backstory of theatrical spoken-word/farce in rock to appreciate it; The Fugs and The Bonzo Dog Band in particular, although Krauts like Floh de Cologne and Oktober were far more "seriously minded" outfits. In their minds, they were part of a militant front against post-fascist capital, and radicalism was never merely a tool of rhetoric. A a band like Ihre Kinder or indeed Ton Steine Scherben meant their creed for real; it was revolution or death, as Rio Reiser saw it. Of course, he left early…
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Kraan & Guru Guru united (1975 Baden Baden)

Interesting, the same year Guru Guru released "Mani Und Seine Freunde" with some of the Kraan guys playing on it.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Banned

Spinning both Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi today. I can enjoy these albums for the drums alone, but of course there is so much more. The drum effect/panning on "Mushroom" is so great - what a great atmosphere and sound they got on that.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Spinning both Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi today. I can enjoy these albums for the drums alone, but of course there is so much more. The drum effect/panning on "Mushroom" is so great - what a great atmosphere and sound they got on that.
    I often cite Czukay/Liebezeit as being one of the absolute top rhythm sections in my entire collection, along with Carter/Williams and Glover/Paice. All very different, but always so impressive to me for various reasons.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I often cite Czukay/Liebezeit as being one of the absolute top rhythm sections in my entire collection, along with Carter/Williams and Glover/Paice. All very different, but always so impressive to me for various reasons.
    Agreed! I always thought Future Days was my fav Can but when I'm listening to Ege and Tago, they seem to be right there as well. And the Mooney albums too....all phenomenal.

Future Days, Tago Mago, and Ege Bamyasi are my favorite Can albums, and certainly among my favorite music by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Future Days, Tago Mago, and Ege Bamyasi are my favorite Can albums, and certainly among my favorite music by anyone.

same here, Future Days is just so polished, like comparing Wolf City to Tanz...

Really getting into "Aumgn" and "Peking O". Peking has some blacked-out chicken sounds like some remote farm poultry got into a big 1.75 liter plastic bottle of cheap vodka, and/or Richard on a Friday night drinking and clucking along to Greek prog. Great stuff.

Future Days often gets me into an alternate state of mind that is only reached when I listen to Popol Vuh or Magma.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Future Days often gets me into an alternate state of mind that is only reached when I listen to Popol Vuh or Magma.
    That's great Alberto! What are some of your fav Popol Vuh albums? And anybody else of course...