Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Krautrock Binge

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can someone remind me? There’s a Krautrock album titled “The Come Down Album,” but I can’t remember which band recorded it, and Google isn’t helping. Comedown might have been one word. At least I think it was Kraut...could it have been Nordic? Scrots, you must know...

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    I find German a beautiful melodic language as expressed by bands like Bayon, Lift, Novalis or Audite to name a few.
    Yeah, but there's a difference here from the poignant and aggressive tongue presented by bands like Eulenspygel, Lied des Teufels/Hanuman, Prof. Wolfff, Floh de Cologne and Sparifankal (who also sang in distinct dialect). These weren't as much about poetics but very strict message, often alluding to established stereotype on how the German language would carry or command an "instinctive" slant of authority. I think it's all great myself, but I know a fair deal of people who won't listen to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Get your Krautrockbinge at Finki this year:

Freitag 10.08.2018 (Einlass 17h)
    19:00h Epitaph Link
    21:00h Faust Link
    23:00h Amon Düül II Link
    01:00h Marblewood Link

Samstag 11.08.2018 (Einlass 13h)
    15:00h Embryo Link
    17:00h Birth Control Link
    19:00h Guru Guru Link
    23:00h Jane Link
    01:00h Vibravoid Link

http://www.finki-festival.de/finki_programm.html
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yeah, but there's a difference here from the poignant and aggressive tongue presented by bands like Eulenspygel, Lied des Teufels/Hanuman, Prof. Wolfff, Floh de Cologne and Sparifankal (who also sang in distinct dialect). These weren't as much about poetics but very strict message, often alluding to established stereotype on how the German language would carry or command an "instinctive" slant of authority. I think it's all great myself, but I know a fair deal of people who won't listen to it.
    It also depends on from where in Germany, its a big country with several dialects.
    Bayern is softer than Pommern.

Wow. This genre is definitely not for me. I tried some of the classics mentioned and they didn't click at all. I get a mental image of Mike Meyers' "Dieter" character while listening to most of it. Amon Duul II's "Tanz auf der Lemminge" (not sure if I spelled it right) was the only thing that even mildly interested me. Glad to have a guided tour of this music from those in the know, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Wow. This genre is definitely not for me. I tried some of the classics mentioned and they didn't click at all. I get a mental image of Mike Meyers' "Dieter" character while listening to most of it. Amon Duul II's "Tanz auf der Lemminge" (not sure if I spelled it right) was the only thing that even mildly interested me. Glad to have a guided tour of this music from those in the know, though!
    What were some of the others you tried, just out of curiosity?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

You might try Kraan then. Their 2 first albums were Kraut, then they incorporated other genres, mostly melodic jazzfusion.
    Some of Guru Guru's albums perhaps too, the live album here under has some Santana influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    What were some of the others you tried, just out of curiosity?
    Neu '75
    Can Future Days
    Amon Duul II ( the Dance of the Lemmings)

I also tried these, not Kraut, but didn't like 'em much either. Maybe from another thread.

Kew. Rhone.
    Slapp Happy Desparate Straights

Neu '75
    Can Future Days

I also tried these, not Kraut, but didn't like 'em much either. Maybe from another thread.

Kew. Rhone.
    These are all very demanding listenings, even for Kraut standards.

I still think that Can's Ege Bamyasi is a perfectly balanced introduction to the Kraut world. Or Agitation Free.

Neu '75
    Can Future Days

Kew. Rhone.
    Personally I grew tired of NEU! or Can. Kew Rhone is OK, Slapp Happy is an acquired taste.

I would second Kraan - ST (or Live) if you are into hot fusion (Sax sounding and Bass rat-a-rat playing like few), Zyma - Thoughts (one of my favourite overtures) or Brainstrom - Smile a While if you like your jazz-rock with a sense of humour (think Zappa).

If you are into Cozmic Folk, then maybe Emtidi -Saat or Hoelderlin - Traum. (Stay away from Floh de Cologne if you are not into Protest Folk.)

If you are into more synphonic, try Novalis - Sommerabend, Pell Mell - Marburg (no-truce groovy!), or the more classical geared Coghwheel - Sightsound.

If you don't mind an electronic vibe in your symphonic prog, then Madyzon Dyke - Zeitmaschine.

If you are into more spacerock, Eloy - Inside (or Planets, oh yes) should work for you or, if you like it more Psychedelic, the Eloy spinoff, Ego On The Rocks - Acide In Wounderland is a delight of the genre.

If you're into Hard Prog, maybe Scorpions - Lonesome Crow or Epitaph - ST, both are excellent.

If you dig Doors you should try Lightshine - Feeling. A delight of Psychedelic Prog with poundering bass and floating fuzzy guitar and that melodic psychedelic crooning voice!

It took me some time to develop a taste for the "genre", but man once it got hold of me that was it. Its also such an amazingly diverse subgenre that you would almost undoubtedly find at least something that you would dig. But maybe not?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I've always thought that any music is about timing and perspective, I bought Tanz der & Future days back around when they came out, which was when I was around 14 or 15, so having been listening to Krautrock for 35+ years is completely different than someone hearing it for the first time nowadays, so I completely understand and get it...

Kraut + India

Kraut + North Africa

Another Kraut derail

Holger Czukay - guitar, keyboards, synthesiser, short waves, bass, french horn
    Jaki Liebezeit - drums, congas

Czukay recorded the Iranian songs on short-wave radio tuned to Iran, tape edited, i.e. locating a passage on tape and cutting it, looping it or splicing it.

This genre is definitely not for me. I tried some of the classics mentioned and they didn't click at all. I get a mental image of Mike Meyers' "Dieter" character while listening !
    Hm.

Krautrock isn't a singular "style" of music. It isn't really recognizable by a given set of traits or assets, although there are some rather typical virtues involved. You should spend more time with the concept itself before making up your mind. There's simply so much text and theory on krautrock that everyone should dig in for what's it's worth. If you end up not liking it after all, that's perfectly alright.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Another Kraut derail

Holger Czukay - guitar, keyboards, synthesiser, short waves, bass, french horn
    Jaki Liebezeit - drums, congas

Czukay recorded the Iranian songs on short-wave radio tuned to Iran, tape edited, i.e. locating a passage on tape and cutting it, looping it or splicing it.
    That was REALLY good - cheers for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm.
    Meaning that there's little apparent similarity between this:

to this:

or this:

Still, there is a Connection, belive it or not.

What is the connection, other than the German origens?

The connection is mysticism. To me at least. People who are chained by Reason, yet longing to be free from it.

How grand I am tonight! Goodnight to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The connection is mysticism. To me at least. People who are chained by Reason, yet longing to be free from it.

zen gps.jpg

Watch this for starters - I think that this is an outstanding film that covers the basic gist of who, what, where, when, why, and how.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

Right on brother. There is also a freedom and counter-political expression in this music that evokes a beauty and honesty that cannot be put properly into words, almost more so than any other prog "subgenre" imo. The music itself is the only way one can fully understand how great and important this music is. Goodnight to you as well my friend.

They all are "failed jazzers".

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    They all are "failed jazzers".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I always found stuff like this very relaxing:

"Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"