May 11th
    Stage Bar
    4358 N Cicero, Chicago, IL
    9 PM
    Department of Revenge
    4 Letter Words
    Sonus Umbra
    $7 cover
    Kay's going out that night with girlfriends, so if some(any)one is willing to give me someplace (indoors) to sleep......

Truth: did I space this out or was I just dismissed out of forgetfullness (or apathy).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Kay's going out that night with girlfriends, so if some(any)one is willing to give me someplace (indoors) to sleep......

Truth: did I space this out or was I just dismissed out of forgetfullness (or apathy).
    Steve, you can crash at our place. We're a mile form the venue.

Nobody was intentionally excluded. We haven't really promoted this properly. Here's what the deal is:
    Valerie has a giant party for her birthday every year and my birthday is usually low key. She asked me what I was planning for my birthday. So I thought about booking a gig where I play in all the bands (close to the house, so we can go back and party after). The 4 Letter Words guys were looking to do a one-off reunion gig and Department of Revenge is pretty much good to go whenever. I tried to get Origin of Animal on the bill, but a lot of those musicians are booked for other gigs that night. So I asked Luis if he thought Sonus Umbra would be ready by then. He said we need to make ourselves ready and we need a gig like this to motivate ourselves to get the ball rolling. It all kind of fell into place quickly. The CD is not available yet. The CD release show will most likely be in August. This gig is to get warmed up for the massive push to promote the CD in the next few months. That doesn't mean that we won't kick ass. We would love to see you if you're making the trip down.

The new Sonus album is Umbralieveable!

Sorry, someone had to say it (and it IS!)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    The new Sonus album is Umbralieveable!

Sorry, someone had to say it (and it IS!)

Steve
    Boo! Hiss! Groan!

Rich- depending on how my ancient body feels after it's unmercifully abused at Rosfest, there's a good possibility I'll come down. Thanks for the pillow.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I like how you use the passive voice in describing potential damage and abuse to your body at Rosfest, like you're an innocent bystander

Can't wait to see you and The Dean!!!

And the Sonus album IS really, really good.

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    I like how you use the passive voice in describing potential damage and abuse to your body at Rosfest, like you're an innocent bystander

Can't wait to see you and The Dean!!!

And the Sonus album IS really, really good.

You are too kind good sir.

The May 11th is the warm-up, and it will be a lot of fun. The big enchilada will be on August 23rd. It'll be a full CD release party at stage 773 in Chicago, hopefully followed by an outing to the East Coast. Tickets will go on sale sometime in June. This line-up is pretty amazing, and I expect many people will be pleasantly surprised.

A Sonus/Little Atlas show or two would be kickass.

Stage 773 - Nice and close to the haus!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hope you guys make it to Boston, would be great to see you.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ian: help us book a gig, and that's a great motivator!

I'm very keen to hear this. The only other SU album I have is Digging for Zeros (Spiritual Vertigo's on order with Amazon) and I think it's pretty wonderful.

Is there a release date?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Bump. The show is tomorrow night. I hope some people can make it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Poston View Post
    May 11th
    Stage Bar
    4358 N Cicero, Chicago, IL
    9 PM
    Department of Revenge
    4 Letter Words
    Sonus Umbra
    $7 cover
    Also, on Sunday afternoon, we are hosting a house concert.
    FAUN FABLES will be perfroming.
    2PM in Chicago
    Message me for info.

This is great stuff.

This was a GREAT show, Sonus Umbra definitely rocked the house!

And Happy B-day Rich!

Luis has put together a Chicago version of Sonus Umbra to succeed the Baltimore version. The results are awesome!

This band should be on festival radar big time!

As Mr. Strawberry stated, "This was a GREAT show".

I so wish I could have attended. Pesky job and needy children...what can I say.

Steve

Luis has put together a Chicago version of Sonus Umbra to succeed the Baltimore version. The results are awesome!

This band should be on festival radar big time!
    As Mr. Strawberry stated, "This was a GREAT show".

I will attest to that as well ! One question, near the end of the set, one of their final songs, I see seven of the eight musicians singing, all except Mr. Nasser. Did you run out of mikes, or is it that Luis simply cannot be trusted with a live mike ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I will attest to that as well ! One question, near the end of the set, one of their final songs, I see seven of the eight musicians singing, all except Mr. Nasser. Did you run out of mikes, or is it that Luis simply cannot be trusted with a live mike ?
    Luis will be the second
    person that tells you that he can't be trusted with a live mic.

BTW, did drummer Andy T. even have a vocal mic?

Luis will be the second
    person that tells you that he can't be trusted with a live mic.

BTW, did drummer Andy T. even have a vocal mic?
    Yes, there was a mic there for Andy. That vocal section calls for 3 harmonies, 3 responders, and the female ad lib.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    This was a GREAT show, Sonus Umbra definitely rocked the house!

And Happy B-day Rich!
    Thanks, Charles.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    He's back...lock up your daughters.

Will check this out for sure.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

That vocal part was awesome. I too noticed Andy had a mic, Luis didn't ... not surprised by any of that. I was right near Brittany and the power of her vocals was amazing during that section.

Whole show was mesmerizing. I felt like I was in some new territory. Good job Sonus, I enjoyed the show!
    Deb H

"Mom, you have a PROGlem." - from my son Douglas, age 14

www.ethelfest.com

Luis, you forgot to mention Brittany's name when you introduced her. What was the name of her band "that didn't suck"?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Luis, you forgot to mention Brittany's name when you introduced her. What was the name of her band "that didn't suck"?
    Brittany's surname is Moffitt, and her band is "Lee" (which is her middle name). You can check 'em out at https://www.facebook.com/leefreepop .

Roey

Indeed, the band is now a very different animal from the original 4 piece. The biggest change sonically is in the quality of the singers.

In the old Sonus I handled the bits of banter and some vox here and there. It was a joke - I'm no fuckin singer - but back when we gigged frequently in Mexico city, it was expected for me to do some of that. To even consider it now with the caliber of singers we have would be absurd.

I think it was a very good way to get started back on the gigging, and as with any band, it will only get better with more shows under our belts. We were hoping for a CD release party on August 23rd at Stage 773 in Chicago, but we ran into some... difficulties, regarding the issue of an insurance they wanted us to cover. we are currently looking at alternatives.

The album is finished, and we're just waiting for the artwork to be completed.

I'm hoping to play many, many shows in the near future, and a trip back out East to Orion is imminent. Assuming Mike potter's standing invitation remains open - it HAS been a long time! We're looking at possible festival gigs as well. It used to be we had invitations that I had to turn down because band members were scattered all over the planet and it was simply impossible to afford it. Now we're all here, ready to go, but people are understandably suspicious. I don't think many believe we have a new album or that we can really play it live, and that's fair. Again, it HAS been a long time, and we have to pay our dues all over again.

I just want to play the music, the new album and some of the old songs that really worked live, and then start writing for the next album.

We are going to give away the opening track of the album, Insomniac Blue, very soon. I even created a twitter account for the band, which kinda makes me cringe, but at the same time, it serves a useful purpose. Ther's also a facebook page and a new website coming up, sometime after May 31st when my academic commitments at Columbia are finished.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonus...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Nasser View Post

a CD release party on August 23rd
    Luis, I could kiss ya for having it on that Friday night!