Thread: Equinox

Equinox

Anybody remember this band from Panama? One of their long jamming tunes just popped up on my I-pod and I was really digging it. Their main claim to fame in the U.S. was playing ProgDay 1999 as the Hurricane was blowing in (captured on the “ProgDay Encore Box Set”). I believe they also played Baja Prog one year as well. Anyway, just wondering what happened to them? The album is a little cheesy in spots, but there was something about them that I always liked.

I think they just called it a day, like Codice. Definitely a band with potential. Back then I was a sucker for symph with lead femvox, too.

I remember listening to the them. Had some potential, but couldn't quite pull it off. After the first album they got a female vocalist who unfortunately couldn't sing in tune. Also remember a really long boring bass solo at their show. Funny the things that stick with you

Equinox played BajaProg in 2000, if I'm not mistaken. I was pleasantly surprised by them so much so that I picked up their second album, Spirits of Freedom, which they were promoting. I liked the keyboards quite a bit, played by Jorge Pérez who was the main composer for the band. Apparently he is the only holdover from the band's original lineup.
    A few years later I listened to their debut album but didn't care for it much. I was expecting more keyboards than what was present. The guitarist was the main composer on that one and it shows.
    I listen to Spirits of Freedom about once a year and always enjoy it.

For a second I thought this was going to be about the Styx album. Not sure I remember this band. I'll have to check them out on that PD box set which I do have somewhere. I do remember Tempano though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    Equinox played BajaProg in 2000, if I'm not mistaken. I was pleasantly surprised by them so much so that I picked up their second album, Spirits of Freedom, which they were promoting. I liked the keyboards quite a bit, played by Jorge Pérez who was the main composer for the band. Apparently he is the only holdover from the band's original lineup.
    A few years later I listened to their debut album but didn't care for it much. I was expecting more keyboards than what was present. The guitarist was the main composer on that one and it shows.
    I listen to Spirits of Freedom about once a year and always enjoy it.
    Yes, the first album is very guitar oriented. I never picked up the 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    For a second I thought this was going to be about the Styx album. Not sure I remember this band. I'll have to check them out on that PD box set which I do have somewhere. I do remember Tempano though.
    Were you there the year the show moved into the Cat's Cradle? That was the year Equinox played. When the hurricane started blowing in the drummers cymbals were being whipped all over the place. I don't know how he was doing it, but they kept on playing until it go too bad to continue.

Tempano played the year the show was moved into the high school auditorium.

I got to PD99 just before the move indoors. I was stuck in that goddamn football traffic and got there late.
    Great band. Have to revisit them, it's been a while.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I got to PD99 just before the move indoors. I was stuck in that goddamn football traffic and got there late.
    Great band. Have to revisit them, it's been a while.
    It is all coming back to me now…….yea I got stuck in that same traffic jam as well. 99 was the first year I started helping out with stuff, and I was supposed to be there early to help get the food service stuff set up, but ended up not arriving until the opening band of the weekend (I think it was House Of Usher) was already on stage. I got there, was handed an apron and told to go help cook hamburgers under the Pavilion. I have a very vivid memory of standing at the grill with M.B. Sheppard and a line of people waiting for burgers. We were drinking some beer called “Mississippi Mud” , that came in a jug, while we were cooking, the wind from the hurricane started whipping up, Stan Whitaker from Happy The Man was in line, while Equinox were jamming on stage. It was kind of a surreal, but fantastic moment in time. Of course it all went to hell about 30 minutes later when the rain started coming down in buckets……………..

For working reasons, Jorge Perez (keys) came few times to Costa Rica:
    In one opportunity, he was the guest in our radio program: actually, it was about Jean Luc Ponty, we talked about Equinox of course but also he helped me with the program and brought some of JLP`s music: Le Voyage Anthology I think it was; we used to hang out and had some good food, beers and talk.

Caught Equinox live in 2002 with Focus and Nexus:
    PanaProg 2002:

http://www.panamarock.com/panaprogfest/
    http://www.panamarock.com/panaprogfest/index2.htm

Great shows!.

Finally, from time to time, I talk with Allan`s father, Foncho, I`ll ask him about it ... .

My 3 cents!.
    Last edited by TCC; 02-20-2015 at 12:13 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.